-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have several Mark II and III rugers but none are threaded, and I'd prefer to keep them original. Looking to buy a pistol dedicated to using a suppressor. I'm leaning to a ruger Mark IV lite, just out of familiarity, but am open to better options. Any reason not to get the mark IV lite?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have zero experience with a Ruger pistol but I love my S&W Victory. It has a factory threaded barrel and shoots amazingly well. I put a FFII on the factory rail and can bust clay pigeons at 80 yards without breaking a sweat. Probably more aftermarket support for the Ruger though.

Wac em and stack em
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the Ruger. I have 3 and love them.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sent you a pm

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the Ruger lite NEEDS the weight of the can to be accurate, IMO. I don't shoot my lite buckmark(without) as well as I do with the can attached.... a little forward weight settles it right down.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mad_okie
I have zero experience with a Ruger pistol but I love my S&W Victory. It has a factory threaded barrel and shoots amazingly well. I put a FFII on the factory rail and can bust clay pigeons at 80 yards without breaking a sweat. Probably more aftermarket support for the Ruger though.

Is that with the fiber optic sights? That is appealing as my eyes don't work as well as they did when I was younger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
put a reddot on 'er.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
put a reddot on 'er.......

I've got a MKIII target with a red dot. I prefer sights. Might still ho with a red dot or holographic sight of some sort though.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Based on gun books I read as a kid, I always wanted a "K-22 Masterpiece" for it's accuracy. I briefly owned a 6" 617 almost 20 years ago and after testing it off a bench rest at 25 yards with a scope and a dozen different types of ammo, was really disappointed in it's accuracy, plus the gun was heavy.

In 2014, I bought a MKIII 22/25 Lite and did a few mods to it like the Slingshot conversion, removal of the LCI, Volquartson trigger & sear. Never formally sat down and tested it, but while it was absolutely a blast to shoot, I got mediocre groups shooting offhand. But then I wasn't expecting much out of it.

Here lately I had been toying with the idea of buying another 617 in 4" or a 17 "Classic" and mounting a scope on it to see if I could get good results accuracy-wise. A few months back, I came across a deal on a Weaver pistol scope and bought it. I also got my first suppressor in late spring of this year and decided to put the two together on my 22/45 Lite just to try it out off a rest. I just grabbed the first box of ammo nearby and got this...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Kind of negated the "need" to buy a 17/617 for accuracy. In my online research of 17/617's for group size, almost everyone says something like, "shoots better than I can hold", but they never tell you what that number is; and of the very few examples I saw of actual group size, most weren't even in the running compared to that one from my 22/45 Lite. (That being said, I just bought a 4" 617 and a 3" 63 in the last two months, but not because I hope to beat the 22/45 for accuracy.)

Last edited by bhemry; 09/22/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Between a Ruger MKIII 22/45 lite and S&W Victory I find myself grabbing the Victory more often. Really like them both. Accuracy edge slightly to Victory. With out the can I shoot the Victory much better I think because of its weight.

Love Red Dot’s on these. Burris FFIII and Ultra Dot’s. More mods available for the Rugers I suppose but Tandemcross covers the Victory’s pretty well.

By the way, brand new the Ruger needs trigger help, the Victory is pretty good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ring3
Between a Ruger MKIII 22/45 lite and S&W Victory I find myself grabbing the Victory more often. Really like them both. Accuracy edge slightly to Victory. With out the can I shoot the Victory much better I think because of its weight.

By the way, brand new the Ruger needs trigger help, the Victory is pretty good.

I've got two Ruger Mark 4's 22/45's (also had just a plain Mark 4).

The "Ruger needs trigger help" above is an understement. Unaltered mine have ran almost 5 pounds to 6 1/2.

A VQ trigger kit will run you about $120. Spendy, but will take it down to around minus 3 pounds (about where it should have been when it left the factory!).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto above experiences on the MkIV trigger. From experience with my dad's MVIV 22/45 Lite, not only do they have a staple gun trigger pull, they're not a "swap out the hammer" fix either. Nearly the entire fire control group needs replacement. Swapping between his MkIV 22/45 Lite, and my target trigger, hammer spring flipped, Buckmark makes a ridiculous contrast. If they'd kept the MkII/III triggers with the new takedown system, it would be an amazing pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
Ditto above experiences on the MkIV trigger. From experience with my dad's MVIV 22/45 Lite, not only do they have a staple gun trigger pull, they're not a "swap out the hammer" fix either. Nearly the entire fire control group needs replacement. Swapping between his MkIV 22/45 Lite, and my target trigger, hammer spring flipped, Buckmark makes a ridiculous contrast. If they'd kept the MkII/III triggers with the new takedown system, it would be an amazing pistol.

Agree with all of the above.

I tried the same mods that worked on my Mark 3's to no avail.

I'm a long time user of Ruger's 22 pistols AND primarily the left handed safety was the deal-maker... so I ponied up the money for the VQ kit.

If I was picking up my first I would calculate the $120 cost of a VQ kit in the price when comparing it to other pistols.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you have a couple of MKIIIs have you thouht of converting one of them to a threaded upper... I have three of the MKIII Hunters and used the 5.5" as a base for a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper.

Love how the balance sits the gun back in your hand....not too heavy and not too light....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Suppressor is a TS AXIOM Titanium....

Also just bought a Ruger 22/45 LITE, all black and it also matches with the suppressor very nicely. Is very light however and does need a trigger job...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kodiakisland: The "quietest" suppressed rimfire pistol I have shot is one owned by my long time Ground Squirrel Hunting friend from Louisianna.
He added a custom heavy barrel in caliber 17 Mach2 (that came threaded) to a stainless Ruger MK-II - he added the suppressor and it is indeed impressive on how quiet and how accurate it is (with red-dot sight).
Good luck in your venture.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I found a stainless, threaded "upper" for my Ruger MK II some years back, and added a suppressor to it. Has a C More Slide-ride Red Dot I added, and it has been a real joy of a handgun for pest control/small game, "woods walking", and nights sleeping in our woods cabin.

Also, just damn "fun" to shoot! Especially "quiet" with sun sonic ammo.

Mike Holmes

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would vote for the buck mark. I have/had a bunch but the buckmark is my go to. With the design it doesn't catch near the crud that my S&W, rugers, walter or conversions kits due. Which for the 22lr is huge. The noise is similar, but the Buckmark is very accurate with a cheap itac red dot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know what you want to do with it. I've used a Smith and Wesson M&P 22 suppressed quite a bit. I love it, plenty accurate, and has been more reliable than my old buckmark. It's light, and small, but comfortable to hold. I'm impressed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.