Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That 300 looks great. Can’t wait till you get that one up and running. I’d absolutely say you scored for 500 bucks BSA.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Scotty! I will install the red pachmayr today. That will spruce it up a bit and help with absorbing recoil. Now I have 2 pre 64's to glass bed. Oh well, might as well start lining them up. I glass bed 4 rifles at the same time last month.... Oh, by the way, I'm surprised this one is crack free. Kind of odd for a heavy kicker. I'm thinking it didn't get shot much, as an H&H or a WBY.. Rifling still looks very sharp. Got my fingers crossed that it's going to be a good shooter... I may just run 180gr partitions in this one. Those are a digging bastid in these 300WBY's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Worked on the stock a little today. Got rid of the weird knob on the tip of the forend. I always heard a knob like that was made so your hand doesn't slip off. smirk Opened up the barrel channel too, so it is freefloating. When I get more time, I'll glass bed it, as I have to work tonight and didn't feel like exerting the energy.... Funny thing is it only takes me about 30 minutes to glass bed one of these things anymore... I glass bed 4 rifles the other day with no problem. To be honest, the rifle shot exactly how I was expecting. Having pressure on the tip of the barrel and hitting in other spots is always a recipe for disaster. POI of the first shot is usually always off by itself, while the other shots may or may not cluster well. Generally not in most cases. I may start another thread regarding the glass bedding and freefloating and how it affects accuracy..

You filed off a Schnabel forend tip? God forbid if you ever get your hands on a Featherweight Model 70.

Is your middle name Bubba?

That stock didn't cost a damn thing and is an easy sell on ebay for $150.00. After selling the stock, it pays for the one that is on it now. As for the schnabel, it was hideous. It looks better now. And yes, if you want to call me Bubba, you can, but keep in mind, I fix these rifles up and they shoot far better than any other model 70 you can find. They function 100% and hunt very well... I'll never grind a bolt handle though, like some guys will, never drill an extra hole in the receiver or take away value from a pre 64 barreled action. I also love throwing them in mcmillans and shooting them. There are some of us here that grew up on these model 70's and some that hunt the heck out of them, some shoot the heck out of them, some keep them in a glass case just so them can look at them from time to time. This forum isn't all about collector grade winchesters and this has been brought up a few times in the past. Please share something positive to this forum, if you can.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
bsa,
Re: The 300 H&H/Weatherby, I'll ask one more time.
Does your wife know you're a thief?!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
bsa,
Re: The 300 H&H/Weatherby, I'll ask one more time.
Does your wife know you're a thief?!

Ha ha... I'm glad you like that one buddy... It will be a while before I shoot it. I still have a die set and plenty of brass, just short on time. I plan on shooting my new SKS today and working on my AR's... I know, why those instead of this beauty? Well, I'll get the red pachmayr installed, but that's about it for this old girl today. Next weekend I plan on doing some glass bedding.... Got the fwt to glass bed too:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've a cheap SKS that has become a money pit extraordinaire. It is not that it all that much money, but the initial cost / extra $ spent / results ratio (however one figures it), is all eff'd up.
Maybe better a PM than to further sully the Winchester Collector's forum with SKS, but I'd be interested in the particulars of yours, how it shoots, and with what ammo.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I've a cheap SKS that has become a money pit extraordinaire. It is not that it all that much money, but the initial cost / extra $ spent / results ratio (however one figures it), is all eff'd up.
Maybe better a PM than to further sully the Winchester Collector's forum with SKS, but I'd be interested in the particulars of yours, how it shoots, and with what ammo.

This one shoots great. See pic below:
[Linked Image]

My dad bought this one back in the 90's. It was unfired/new. Its a Yugoslavian model with the grenade launcher. It was a blast to shoot today. Heres how it groups with wolf 122gr hollow point ammo:

[Linked Image]
This is just steel cased el cheapo ammo. My dad had thousands of rounds for the sks. I'm going to be working on breaking in this brand new barrel.... grin it might take me a while...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I finally put that recoil pad on my newly acquired 300wby. Here's how she looks now. I'll probably glass bed the featherweight and this one this weekend:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think it looks a lot better now. I also put the original sling swivels back on it. Take a gander at this bottom metal. The metal on this one is in pretty good condition:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The front action screw is a little buggered up. I'll put a new one in it eventually...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well done bsa. That looks really nice with that pad addition. 👍

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep looks great, a red pad sure dresses up a pre 64 M70 nicely

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s real nice BSA. You did real good with that one.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice rifle. Hard to sell .300Weatherby to anyone when .338 WinMag is readily available.
I looked over real nice .300 Weatherby rifle on FN Supreme action with German made Weatherby scope. Why didn't I buy it in spite of very enticing price? With scope mounted 1.5" above bore rifle sighted at 200 yards 180gr bullet from .30-06 drops only about 8 inches more at 400 yards then the .300 Weatherby, useless.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's a soft market for sure.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm halfheartedly trying to buy an 1897 Winchester. Halfheartedly because I already bought enough guns this year and I'm trying to push it off for the new year. But my word, I recently bid $200 for an 1897 on GB and it sold for $205! They're so cheap right now even with me fooling around I'm almost bringing them home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm halfheartedly trying to buy an 1897 Winchester. Halfheartedly because I already bought enough guns this year and I'm trying to push it off for the new year. But my word, I recently bid $200 for an 1897 on GB and it sold for $205! They're so cheap right now even with me fooling around I'm almost bringing them home.

The 1897 should be more valuable than common as dirt Model 12 field grade shotgun. Fewer were made and they see use in SASS. These is really kool shotguns especially if of "ball n shot type" ie long barrel 1/4 choke. These should be more valuable as "two ball shot" loads are now available.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Prices can come and go, and to hell with a hard or soft market, that will be my survivors problem after the backhoe bucket is dirtied and the flowers are dead! smile I aint selling sheet ; ]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by moosemike

The 1897 should be more valuable than common as dirt Model 12 field grade shotgun. Fewer were made and they see use in SASS. These is really kool shotguns especially if of "ball n shot type" ie long barrel 1/4 choke. These should be more valuable as "two ball shot" loads are now available.

You can't hardly give pump shotguns away to the younger generation of today, especially one with a hammer. Most are more interested in buying semis or some cheap Turkish O/U.

As far as 97's go, dimensions are far from modern and almost all have so much drop you have to shoot them off your chin, along with balance being sup-par. Many early Model 12’s have the same stock dimension issues. Not so much with later examples.

Last edited by battue; 10/01/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.