Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You’re not crazy!

I’m still doing it with iron sights 35years later. I’ll continue to until I have to go to scopes.

Have fun and good luck! Tom

GB1

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Damn fellas...thanks for the support! I think im going to go scope-less this dear season. It gets very dark early where i typically hunt in the north woods but to be honest ive been handicapped before on moving targets trying to get a sight picture through an optic. I do a bit of stalking but the reality is that its mostly blind hunting. 60/40 anyways. I think ill be ok...but ill keep you guys posted of my findings. Im just shy of 40 but my vision is pretty good. I was able to hit the gong today at the range at 400M every time...and while larger than the kill zone of typical game...i had to hold over beyond 3ft so i was pretty happy to connect.

Ingwe...please tell about your hunt and rifle! Looks like a great story!

Im shooting a 308 FWIW. Dead on at 100m is like 2/10s off at 50 and only a couple of inches off at 200 which id say is the limit of my skill with irons so far. I generally won't shoot beyond 200 at unwounded game even with an optic...so i think i will actually be ok!

GOD Bless America
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All of my Savage lever guns (mostly pre-1920's) sport irons in the deer woods. They work now as well as they did 100 years ago. My 66 year old eyeballs need a little help seeing those front sights, but 'tain't nothin' a few tricks of the trade won't cure. I have a couple bolt guns (pre-war, mostly) that sport Lyman 48 receiver sights that get used with a fair degree of frequency too (but sometimes I cheat and take along their scopes which fit into Griffin&Howe QD side mounts as backup). The rifles that wear scopes permanently are mostly benchrest queens.

Lose a few minutes at dawn/dusk? Meh, who cares?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Quak

Ingwe...please tell about your hunt and rifle! Looks like a great story!

Im shooting a 308 FWIW. Dead on at 100m is like 2/10s off at 50 and only a couple of inches off at 200 which id say is the limit of my skill with irons so far. !

That was a kudu I shot in 1999 while on Safari with our own Mule Deer. the rifle is a custom 1909 Argentine Mauser in 7x57 built by Dennis Erhardt....Theres more to the story but suffice it to say it was one of the most interesting mornings Ive ever had hunting.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well another one bites the dust.
I just got my Buck Antelope with a Winchester M95 in 270. One shot and down. Iron sights. Shot from about 45 yards.
I'll edit this soon and post some pics. I didn't have a camera, but one of my friends did and he's going to e-mail them to me soon.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Quak
Hey Guys,

had some fun yesterday at the range banging steel with my hunting rifle after sighting in my backup iron sights to a new load. I also shot some groups and to my surprise, i can shoot these things pretty good...into 4 inches anyways to 200 yards or so.

Am i crazy for considering using irons for this years hunting season facing shots on whitetail up to and including 100 yards or perhaps 125? I know low light in woods conditions would be challenging...but I'm thinking I wouldn't be overly handicapped it might be a whole new level of fun. What do you guys think...am I nuts?

No.. But it all depends on the shooter's eyes.. I only have one rifle that I've left with iron sights, but even that one I converted to fire sights so I can see the dang things.. It's a rifle I use for close-in shots in WI forests - a Marlin M94 in .45LC...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a kid shooting the Rimfire Challenge that cleans up in multiple classes and he's better and faster with irons than he is with the red dot. This is close range speed shooting and with iron sights he says he is seeing the target not the sights. But, like the arrow in an instinctive snap release with a bow, the sights must be in his field of view. Seen, but not seen? Not seen, but they have to be there?

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It has been 5 years since I venture into the woods with only irons and it is so true that the rifle feels more lively. I found 15-20 years ago the very best iron front sight for hunting. I bought a Savage 99 that had a Sheard front sight and for my eyes, nothing compares with it not even the sourdough, which is second best.
I am getting an urge, after seeing szihn's pic, to take the scope off my CZ-550 FS and give it a go. If I can't see the sights or have a good sight picture I won't shoot. After all, my family will not starve if don't make meat and it will take me back to my muzzleloading days when it was the fun of the hunt not the kill!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It can be done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think you'll enjoy yourself greatly if you do!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As others have mentioned here, older eyes begin to limit the use of iron sights and that's the case with me, but a few days ago I took the Marlin 336C 30-30 off the gun rack, found some +1.5 readers and shot a few rounds offhand.

It is fun to do, but I admit using a scoped gun when trying to fill a tag.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Can’t see well enough anymore. I couldn’t shoot well enough to hit a barn.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i hunt with one of my old open sited pumps every year but only when shots are 50 yards or less. 100 yards on a deers shoulder is a pretty long shot. site covers up a lot of the deer at that range. but then again, my eyes are bad

My diploma is a DD214
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, the weight of my CZ-550 FS was reduced by 1 pound 2.5 ounces and it's hard to believe how well balanced it is now after removing the scope. The sights are fairly easy to see while walking about near home. I could make them out as late as 7:10 last evening with cloudy skies and with eyes that has been seeing for 72 years! Time for a trip to the range with my "new" rifle.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Model 71 does quite well with both 200 and 250gr loads. Groups are at 100..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't own a scoped rifle. I gave away my last one to a dear friend who did my wife and I a tremendous favor when she was battling cancer. As an aside, she won. Anyway, I'm 66 and with a couple cheats I can still shoot sub 1 inch groups at 50 yards if my rifle is capable. Go to 100 and I can still hover between 3 and 4 inches. One of the cheats is an aperture for my glasses and the other is to open up the rear sight notch to allow more light around the front sight. If you practice with them enough their use becomes as second nature as a scope. Sight them in for a 6 o'clock hold at 100 yards and the front sight doesn't cover anything. All that an as another poster mentioned, pull the scope off a rifle and it changes its complexion, ie handling and carrying, immensely.

I do prefer aperture sights but I'm not drilling and tapping any of my rifles although some did come with some nice Lyman and Redfield aperture sights. They darn sure aren't getting a scope with those sights on them.

I'm about 26 years older than you and I hunt with irons as a matter of choice, something like tmitch alluded to. Go for it, I can't imagine you'll regret it.

Last edited by sharps4590; 09/20/19.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My Model 71 does quite well with both 200 and 250gr loads. Groups are at 100..

Offhand or benchrest?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have the right mentality, rifles with open sights and certain red dots are great for making fast shots on moving game.
Both eyes, like a shotgun bead.

Last edited by night_owl; 09/20/19.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
As others have mentioned here, older eyes begin to limit the use of iron sights and that's the case with me, but a few days ago I took the Marlin 336C 30-30 off the gun rack, found some +1.5 readers and shot a few rounds offhand.

It is fun to do, but I admit using a scoped gun when trying to fill a tag.

Nice Marlin and very skillful shooting.

abusus non tollit usum
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Most of the whitetail I have killed could have been with an iron sighted 30-30; half the wall hangers included. Some where.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,578 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.