Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I think those are actually hexagonal rather than polygonal though. I've seen reports of good results with regular round bullets like the Lyman 500gr .457 though.

hexagonal is polygonal. Hex meaning "six", poly meaning "multiple" or "many".

A polygon has multiple sides. A hexagon has exactly 6 sides, octagon has 8 sides, etc, both are polygons.

Yes Mom, I know; I took geometry a few hundred years ago. The important difference of the Whitworth is the way the bullet fits almost perfectly in the bore from the start rather than being engraved (or apparently swaged to fit as in your pic) like with other types. There were also one or more that had little wings on the bullet that matched grooves in the bore and did the same thing but weren't as practical.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I think those are actually hexagonal rather than polygonal though. I've seen reports of good results with regular round bullets like the Lyman 500gr .457 though.

A polygon has multiple sides. A hexagon has exactly 6 sides, octagon has 8 sides, etc, both are polygons.

Yes Mom, I know; I took geometry a few hundred years ago. The important difference of the Whitworth is the way the bullet fits almost perfectly in the bore from the start rather than being engraved (or apparently swaged to fit as in your pic) like with other types. There were also one or more that had little wings on the bullet that matched grooves in the bore and did the same thing but weren't as practical.

Pappy, you said "hexagonal rather than polygonal". I don't need to argue with you, but your comment indicated you didn't understand what that meant. No need to get snarky about it, please. My comment had nothing to do with the Whitworth stuff.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/20/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'm in Yondering's camp on this. Polygonal rifling was the norm in the early period of gun making, notably by the Brits and others in Europe. They shot lead quite well back in the day. Keep in mind that "poly" means whatever the barrel maker wanted it to mean and the dimensions where his to craft. Also know that many shooters from that era used paper patch which inserts a very different metric in the game so far as leading/obturation/precision goes. 6 flats, paper patched pure lead? Hell ya!

Yup, that is a good point (the bit in bold). Some modern examples - HK uses (or did use anyway?) 6 flats in their 9mm hexagonal polygonal bores. Glock uses a series of flats and rounds (the flats are the "lands" in traditional rifling), and BHW uses Caudle rifling which has no flats but is shaped from 3 offset circles. All of them call their style "polygonal rifling".

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Whitworths era did not have truly hard alloys in small arms available, so it's amazing in how his bullets worked. Most prevailing arms of the period all were bump and swell/patched or Minie designs.
The principles of full diameter, swaged bullets came along with cartridges.
The use of lead in them hasn't changed.

The 1917 Revolvers aren't so different to make run with cast as poly type barrels.

I've run cast through Glocks and Tangos without issue. Colt 1911s are also of the shallow land variety and running over groove and without care of "too hard" in those fixed chambers is easy, much easier than wheelguns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pappy, you said "hexagonal rather than polygonal". I don't need to argue with you, but your comment indicated you didn't understand what that meant. No need to get snarky about it, please. My comment had nothing to do with the Whitworth stuff.

I briefly considered calling you a condescending f*ck, but went with the "Mom" thing instead, since after all it was my error that started it. As a recovering spelling and grammar nazi, I understand the compulsion to confront ignorance wherever it's found. No offense taken (anymore) or intended.

Since you seem to know a bit about this, I have a question: Is there any evidence that the flats formed by the polygonal rifling have any slowing effect on the rotation of the bullet? I've read that the Whitworth slugs made a distinctive buzz or whir in flight, which means (I think) some energy is bleeding off making that sound.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by denton
I think we are in violent agreement. You can't use lead bullets in polygonal barrels.

The Confederacy had a fine rifle with polygonal rifling, and found excessive leading back then. So it isn't a recently discovered problem.

Whitworth

Dont tell Whitworth....

Sorry, can't get the link up there. Anyway, the Whitworth rifle wasn't prone to lead fouling, it was more prone to black powder fouling to maintain its precision and ease of loading. It used FITTED, hardened for the era, polygonal bullets and required more field maintenance than undersized patched balls, for obvious reasons.

It was also miles ahead of its competition when it came to accuracy.

Umm, Ross Seyfried had excellent accuracy using lead ROUND bullets in a Pedersoli Whitworth. Details in Rifle Mag. archives.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not only Ross; Sam Fadala too IIRC, and maybe that capandball guy on YouTube.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by denton
I think we are in violent agreement. You can't use lead bullets in polygonal barrels.

The Confederacy had a fine rifle with polygonal rifling, and found excessive leading back then. So it isn't a recently discovered problem.

Whitworth

Dont tell Whitworth....

Sorry, can't get the link up there. Anyway, the Whitworth rifle wasn't prone to lead fouling, it was more prone to black powder fouling to maintain its precision and ease of loading. It used FITTED, hardened for the era, polygonal bullets and required more field maintenance than undersized patched balls, for obvious reasons.

It was also miles ahead of its competition when it came to accuracy.

Umm, Ross Seyfried had excellent accuracy using lead ROUND bullets in a Pedersoli Whitworth. Details in Rifle Mag. archives.

Refresh my memory.

As I understand Ross Seyfrieds work, he had a Whitworth designed projectile mould for the Whitworth rifle he wrote about.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A minor point but bullets shot from poly rifled barrels have a very slightly better BC due to the added resistance of the rifling ingraving for metford riffling. It is so tiny you would need Doppler radar or some other very accurate equipment to measure it. It is like the ridged mono bullets, not enough difference to tell in the field but at least mathematically a slight difference in air resistance.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Polygon rifling imparts spin to stabilize the bullet; just like every other rifling form. The reason it has not taken over the gun world is because it doesn't work any better and may not work as well as conventional rifling. Back in the eighties, Shilen did indeed offer a barrel with polygonal rifling. I bought a few of them, 6mm and 30 cal. They shot OK but not great with jacketed bullets but the two I put on for cast bullet shooters worked very well. About ten years later, I got a couple of H-K blanks in 224 caliber. I chambered them for 22 BR and, again, they shot reasonably well but they were no Hart. One of the big problems with the Shilen polygon (called DGA rifling by Shilen) was that it didn't clean well because the brush wouldn't follow the rifling. The bottom line was, they just didn't shoot that well. I always felt that the deformation of the bullet jacket and potential loosening of the core would always limit accuracy with jacketed bullets in polygon bores.
One theory claimed they were a bit faster because they sealed the bore better. I never did any velocity testing simply because I didn't really care. My concern was with accuracy. If it wasn't there, I didn't care what the velocity was.
Anyway, the day I see polygon rifled barrels winning BR and "F" class matches is the day I'll start choosing them over conventional rifling forms.
The Shilen ratchet rifled barrels are a little different than a polygon and are, in fact, convemtional rifling with a funny shape. I have two on rifles of my own. The 6mm, which I bought when they first came out, is definitely different. When one looks from the muzzle, it's hard to see the rifling at all while from the breech, it looks pretty normal. It spins the brush just fine going from breech to muzzle but skips coming back. The second barrel is 6.5 mm and the ratchet form is much less marked. In fact, it looks fairly coventional from both ends. It spins the brush both ways. Both of these barrels shoot very well and clean easily.
Some liked polygon rifling for patched round ball rifles because they sealed well and cleaned well with loading. Some may remember the Whitworth replica produced by Parker Hale. These rifles were supplied with a mold for a conventional, grooved, lubricated, bullet. Loaded as recommended by the manufacturer, they shot very well through the hexagonal bore.
As far as the deformation of the bullet having any effect on rotation goes, I doubt it. GD

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Black Hole Weaponry seems to have a good reputation in polygon rifled AR style barrels, but I have no personal experience with them.
They also make barrels for bolt actions.
Anyone use these?

https://columbiariverarms.com/rifiling-manufacturing-process/

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by greydog

I bought a few of them, 6mm and 30 cal. They shot OK but not great with jacketed bullets but the two I put on for cast bullet shooters worked very well.

About ten years later, I got a couple of H-K blanks in 224 caliber. I chambered them for 22 BR and, again, they shot reasonably well but they were no Hart.

Anyway, the day I see polygon rifled barrels winning BR and "F" class matches is the day I'll start choosing them over conventional rifling forms

Pac-Nor makes them available as a rifle barrel option, I appreciate your sharing of experience.
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as the deformation of the bullet having any effect on rotation goes, I doubt it. GD

Just an idle thought I had while mowing the lawn. The story about the sound made by the Whitworth bullets always intrigued me; similar to the distinctive rip of the German 88s, which my father has talked about, on a much smaller scale of course.

That ratchet thing is an old idea too. I wonder if anyone is playing with oval bores these days. Those should be easy to clean, but might run up pressures with jacketed bullets unless maybe sabotted (patched) to cut friction.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
These are the Barrells David Tubb used to win several F Class Matches.http://schneiderriflebarrels.com/#rifling
They don't go into detail so these may be closer to 5R or Ratchet rifling than a true polygon.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hawk 1

Seyfried's best results were with Lyman #457-121P. Same mold for both the Parker-Hale and Whitworth. He had both molds, the traditional hex mold came as an extra cost item sold with the rifle. I had one, cast Bhn 8 soft bullets in the Lyman BUT, I did use the hex wadcutter that came with the rifle for over-powder wads. It did everything it was reputed to do on 600 yard steel...but the recoil was brutal, and after the initial joy making hits with a muzzlestuffer at medium range I traded it off. The recoil was just not fun.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks for the reply!

I have the magazine around here somewhere, and I can't find it now you have me looking for it!

Oh well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is polygonal rifling the same, similar to, or, completely different from the Metford rifling (found on the Lee-Metford rifles around the 1900's) (Charles Newton used his version/variation on his Newton rifles as well)?

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same, Metford is the radius ed type of polygonal rifling.

Here is an interesting article on the Newton-Pope Rifling which is a form of polygonal or oval rifling similar to the Metford.http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_Bullet/Vault/Newton-Pope_Rifling_Oval_Bore.html

Last edited by Tejano; 09/23/19.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 14 invisible), 1,061 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,487
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.