-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About an hour and a half for me and dad with a Husqvarna and a axe, back behind his house.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cuznguido
Hilljack, I am not that far from you. PM me if you still want firewood.

Pm sent

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Old boy wants $300 for that. Asked if he was bringing 2 loads like that? He swears it will stack 4' high and 24' long. I said it might if each piece is 12" or less. Said I would give him $300 for a full cord, 4'x4'x8', 128 cubic feet of wood. Said he didn't know where I was getting my measurements but assured me he could deliver a 4'x4'x8' in one load. I said thanks but no thanks.

Tell him double or nothing... He stacks it out to make a full 4ft high by 24ft long, by YOUR tape measure, you pay him double. If it won't make the full 24 ft, it's free... He'll be gone in a heart beat...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Assuming 128cu/ft @ 40lbs/cuft, I doubt that ole boys truck would hold that much weight in the bed without breaking something.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been heating with wood for about 25 years. When I first started I was paying $50. for.an honest cord. Now I pay $200. per cord. I usually buy between 6 and 8 cords depending what is left from the previous year. I always get it cut, split and delivered in May. Generally have it all stacked under cover by the first week of June at the latest. All mixed.hardwood, no pine or poplar. Got lots of oak this year.

Last edited by RS308MX; 09/20/19.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If someone offered this to me and said it was a cord. I would simply point out lets assume the pickup is 4 ft wide. Lets assume the stack is 8 feet long. Does anyone think that is 4 feet tall. If so they would not be able to see out the window. Because I can - I will conclude by saying if they really were home schooled they would more likely know the truth than most I see passing time at the public schools.

Simple answer, not a cord and not worth 300.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
Does this look like a full cord of wood to anyone ? Hillbilly says it is, this hilljack knows it's about 70 cu ft .

[Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]

If you stop by Lexington Tree Service out on Winchester Road with a pick up and load it yourself, you can buy a load like that for $75.

They usually have a mountain of it piled up out back from the trees they cut down. Usually there's one or two guys back there running splitters trying to keep up with what they bring in.

It's probably going to be green when you buy it, however. I bought a load of split oak from them last year that squatted the tires on my F-150. It should be ready this winter.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Nope... but if you can get away selling it as a cord ... good for you (provided you can live with yourself - I could not)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the recent Ric/Cord thread someone stated that the only real cord you'll ever get is the one you cut.

No truer words were ever spoken.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow...I guess coming from where I'm from, the argument of what constitutes a cord is mind boggling...and that there are youtube videos to define it is just.....

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think we were taught what a cord of wood was in the third grade. I have had close to a cord in my old Dodge 3/4 ton pickuo (8ft box). With wood stacked to just above the roof all the way back, it was as much as the old truck wanted to haul. My little dump truck has a five yard box so it will haul just over a cord loaded level. Heap it up a bit and you get a cord and a half. Had one guy who was selling a pickup load for 90 bucks. Sounded ok. He showed up at the shop in an old Datsun pickup. Didn't sound so good then. GD

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
around here most serious wood burners get their wood delivered in log form. way cheaper and good exercise. a $500 picker load of logs gets you 6-8 cords depending on how you cut split and stack it. the ash borer epidemic here in PA has created a LOT of free wood lately. hell, i could do nothing but cut and split free wood if i wanted to. might actually do a little of that one of these days.

My diploma is a DD214
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is 10'x2'x7'= 140cu ft
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am somewhat amazed at the price of a bundle of firewood like those I see at convenience stores and grocery stores. Looks like a cord would be well over a thousand dollars at their prices. I burn way more than a bundle every time we grill steaks. My wood is free in the sense that I cut up fallen trees that are in the way and need to be removed anyway. I got on facebook and offered free firewood to anyone who wanted to bring a saw and get it 2 years ago after a tornado took down several oaks at our place. Not one person came to get it even though they could drive right up to it and I told them they weren't responsible for the clean up.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is the new measurement for a cord- sans the carbon tax element.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
I am somewhat amazed at the price of a bundle of firewood like those I see at convenience stores and grocery stores. Looks like a cord would be well over a thousand dollars at their prices. I burn way more than a bundle every time we grill steaks. My wood is free in the sense that I cut up fallen trees that are in the way and need to be removed anyway. I got on facebook and offered free firewood to anyone who wanted to bring a saw and get it 2 years ago after a tornado took down several oaks at our place. Not one person came to get it even though they could drive right up to it and I told them they weren't responsible for the clean up.

ya thats the case around here too. thats why the cheap skate in me has an itchy trigger finger. i keep threatening to go into a part time firewood biz. i got all the stuff i need. i see prime oak, cherry, locust, ash, maple, etc free for the taking here all the time.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to see a man hauling oak wood, between Carlisle, Ar. and Hickory Plains, Ar.,with a late 70 model 3/4 ton Ford, that probably had at least a cord of wood on it. It was stacked from the cab to the end of the tail gate, and way above the cab. Truck was level too. Must have had a hell of a set of overload springs on that thing. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't burn much, maybe a 1/2 cord a year. I'll buy a 1/2 cord from a tree guy down the road for $120.00 picked up. He sells a cord for $200.00. So I have a GMC with a 6 1/2' bed stacked to the top of the bed with the tail gate up, then piled up in the middle to the top of the rear window. The last time I did that and stacked it, I had about .65 of a cord.

The house I live in now doesn't have a wood stove. At my old house,I'd burn about 3 to 4 cords a year. I used to cut up downed trees on our neighbors farm and take it home and throw it in a pile. Then I'd split it by hand at my leisure. That was about 25 years ago and I was younger and trying to heat my house with it to make ends meet. It's too much work now, and I can afford to just buy what I need.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 09/21/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
NOT a full cord.. I've hauled full cords on other pickups I've owned (long boxes) and in order to get a full cord on, it has to be stacked to the roofline (or a hair above) all the way to, and including, the tail gate..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I lived in Upper MI I heated with wood exclusively and also made hot water year round. Ran a Heatmor outdoor wood boiler that went through around 24 full cord a year or hard maple and red oak. Payed $100 per cord delivered in 8' bolts.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/21/19.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.