Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have several deer stands/shooting houses, or however you want to refer to them, here on the farm. The one I hunt out of is a 4X6 house sitting 8 foot off the ground. We have a couple of more that are smaller, one person mostly stands, made to move around. But, as the grandkids are hunting some, and I just like to do more watching than shooting, I've been wanting to build another one.

I keep any kind of leftover building materials that I think I might have some future use for, so I had a lot of metal and wood just waiting for a project. I build this 6X6 house last week, and only had to buy a few 2x4's, some screws, the insulation, and a few other odds and ends. Haven't figured it up yet, but have less than $200 in it. I had a bunch of plexiglass that someone had given me, so the windows didn't cost anything.

I've got it on an old wagon for the time being, but my son want's to put it somewhere permanently on stilts. We'll probably do that eventually. These houses are nice for days when it's raining or cold, as we use the Buddy propane heaters and they are very comfortable. I grew up thinking that unless you got cold and wet, you weren't really hunting. That's just not so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JamesJr; 09/21/19.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice!

Sliding windows and all! smile

The one I built last year is a bit more primitive... No altitude for mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got a couple of those too. They work.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That is nice,you Southern guys ever get a surprise "guest" when you go into one of those in the morning? grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rong
That is nice,you Southern guys ever get a surprise "guest" when you go into one of those in the morning? grin

Nah.

You do have to check for yellowjacket nests before you start using one again, though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I was surprised by a whole herd of ring-tailed cats in one of mine. Someone left the door ajar. Caracara made a terrible mess in another one when it took up residence inside.

There is normally at least one wasp nest the size of a softball in each one. Carefully open the door and put a bug bomb on the floor, shut the door and run, Labor Day weekend ritual.

Last edited by Borchardt; 09/21/19.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mice are my biggest problems. I went to pains to make it hard for a mouse to get into this one.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very nice. It would be nice to be able to drive to a stand with a wheeled vehicle.

I am finishing five new towers for hunting in the marsh. Our season opens soon.
I will put the house on once they are in place.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quite the setup there, Mike!

Nice welding!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes, that is very nice. I have considered building a lot higher house than what I'm using, but haven't really seen the need for it. Most of my hunting is along field edges, and hunting travel lanes from one area to the next, so I'm pretty well set up for that. If I was hunting some hilly ground with lot of cover, one of those tall towers would be just the ticket.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We have to get high to see in the marsh. Sometimes they will walk in our shooting lanes, but the big deer are a little smarter.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Those are nice Mike.

Stainless or galv?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Aluminum

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike70560
We have to get high to see in the marsh. Sometimes they will walk in our shooting lanes, but the big deer are a little smarter.

Mike, how do you make those shooting lanes?

With the airboat?

Always interesting to see how other people adapt to hunt their local area. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mike, how tall are those stands? Beautiful work.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Buddy of mine found a non poisonous snake of some sort resting in the sun on the seat of a ladder stand a couple of years ago. It startled him a little but he just found a stick and knocked it out of the stand and went on with his hunt. It was an afternoon hunt, a morning one could have been more "interesting".

As others have said you have to watch out for wasps mainly.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/21/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

No pest strips help. I started doing that after reaching in a ground blind in the dark and getting stung in the hand by a hornet. Never had issues with snakes but I wear snake boots 90% of the time when hunting.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The stands I am building are 18’ tall. The one with the picture of the airboat is 20’.

We flatten the marsh with the airboats. You can see the lanes on Google Earth.

The interesting part is getting them out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better watch out Mike..... there's a few fellows that will roast you for hunting out of a stand. They think the only way to 'hunt' is to walk in a few miles, climb on a ridge, glass the area, and put on a stalk. I'd like to see what their attitude would be if they waded around in the bottom or swamp for a while. If life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

Great looking towers. I've got one I made out of aluminum, but its only 12' tall with a 4x6 box on top.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yep, you’ll catch hell for having s nice warm stand.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.