Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I have my Safari rifle narrowed down to a lightly customized CZ550 or lightly customized Win M70.

Both would have: Kicheeze buttpad fit to 14.25” lop, 3 position safety, express rear sight, barrel band sling stud, barrel band front sight with brass bead, barrel cut&crowned to 22”, action confirmed for slick feeding and the trigger set to 3lb crisp pull.

The M70 is a bit lighter, so I may request weight added or a mercury recoil reducer in the butt.

Thoughts? What would you choose?

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The better handling one, the one I could shoot better.

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What he said.

My preference would be for a Winchester, but I have owned and handled both in big bores.

You need to handle both and see what you like.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Winny is probably a little light for the recoil of a full gin Lott. Shortening the barrel isn't going to help that and adding weight to the rear fools with the balance. And getting it to feed Lott cartridges can be problematic. Not all gunsmiths can handle that.

The CZ is built on the magnum action so it is a little oversize for a H&H cartridge and the stock is bulky and clubbish to me.

I would probably talk to American Hunting Rifles about what I wanted. They are the CZ experts and can advise you.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

DF, which do you prefer? Your CZ 550 is a souped up version: if I'm not mistaken. If going with a CZ, that's what I'd do with mine, If I were the op. Your Winchester classic stainless is also the way I'd roll if going Winchester. No need to go ultra fancy with the Winchester, but the CZ550 has a "clubby stock like another poster said. One of the reasons I sold my CZ550. And the same reason I'd go AHR if ever again looking at a CZ 550... My CZ shot lights out, but just didn't handle or balance as well as my Winchesters.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
CZ is a big gun. Sold mine in 375 because it was needlessly big and heavy. Shorter barrel and a bit trimmer stock makes them nice though.

In a Lott, it may be a good thing. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
CZ it holds 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Being heavy in .458 Lott would not be a problem IMO.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You can make a case for either action but I chose a CZ. The CZ does need a bit of work to get it right though, probably more than a M70 would, if that’s an issue.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
CZ it holds 5 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Being heavy in .458 Lott would not be a problem IMO.

Heavy is not a problem, handling like a log is. A CZ is going to take more than a little work to make it handle. Add in the fact that I prefer the old style model 70 trigger on hunting rifles, it is a very easy choice.

I have had two CZ 375's and two CZ 416 Rigby's. All are gone.

Have owned a couple of Model 70 404 Jeffery's and currently own a 375 and 416 Remington. The 375 is heavy but handles and carries nicely. The factory Tupperware stock has been replaced by an Echols, That is it. I am having a lot of fun shooting this rifle and my end goal is to shoot the barrel out.

The 416 is a little lighter due to the bigger hole in the barrel, handles nice and will retain the original factory wood stock. Currently at the gunsmith's getting some aftermarket Dakota Arms open sights installed, and bedding.

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My CZ in .450 Howell handles very well in my hands and it had nothing done to it except a re-chamber from .458 Win mag. Just guessing,but I think it weighs in the 10 lb range.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Different strokes for different folks. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Different strokes for different folks.

Absolutely, that is why DF nailed it with the first post.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Last edited by CRS; 09/22/19.

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,DF is pretty smart.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He has been around the block a time or two, maybe three. cool

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Aww shucks, you dudes gonna make me blush blush

Seriously, I like the CZ and M-70. The CZ was one I traded for, a highly modified AHR in 9.3x62. I since traded it. It's a bit heavier than the SS M-70, but in a really big round, weight not a problem, would probably be a plus.

The AHR stock handles better than the OEM CZ stock, IMO.

It would depend on the individual gun and which one appealed to me at the time.

Ask a Loony which rifle he prefers, probably the one he's shooting... grin

Here's the AHR CZ with a SS .404J M-70 I built from a 300 RUM donor. D'Arcy Echols stock.

Here's the SS Classic .375 H&H that I mentioned and still have, the above two traded. I liked them, both great guns. This Tupperware Classic is just such a rugged, utilitarian piece that it sorta grew on me. I had the barrel flutted and trimmed to 21", handles great.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice rifles, DF.

Unless things have changed, both CZ and Winchester use the same barrel profile from 375 to 458. Obviously their rifles in 458 were lighter and IMO handled better. In 458 the barrels were about right and you really wouldn’t want them any lighter.

The CZ is a heavier and longer action but in a big calibre you will be putting more weight between the hands, which is where you want it for better handling. When mine is complete (still needs stock work) I expect it will end up around 9lbs without a scope, which I think is fine for a 458.

The CZ has a larger mag capacity and longer mag as well, its 3.8” long vs 3.6” for the M70 in a Lott. This gives you the option to use a Lee FCD to load to a longer LOA and exceed factory specs or reduce pressure, if you want to. You can also increase the length and capacity of the M70’s magazine if you want to go down that route.

The American style stock on the CZ’s is a bit oversized in nearly every dimension but there is enough wood there to have a competent stock maker slim it down to fit you properly. It’s worth mentioning that there was a factory synthetic stock option that really felt and handled well if you’re happy to go that way.

There are other areas to look at but these are the main areas to consider.

Last edited by JFE; 09/23/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You're right about Winchester having the same barrel contour with their Express guns. That was my complaint with this .375, the barrel was too heavy, too much metal compared to a .458 or 416. So that's why I chopped and fluted it. It's about right, now.

Had it been a .458, I think it would have been OK.

The CZ is a bigger, heavier gun and my be the better option for .458 Lott. But, I would need to slim down the factory stock to suit my taste, agree with that.

I've not handled their synthetic stock, but that may be an option if it's not too chunky.

DF

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The introduction of the 375 Ruger in lighter rifles has forced Winchester and Remington to redesign their offerings in 375. Winchester’s Alaskan model in 375H&H has a lighter barrel profile compared to their Express/Safari models.

I believe the synthetic stock for the CZ is made by B&C. It is quite a lot trimmer and handier than the factory wood stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
CZ in a B&C may be the ticket.

I’d have to handle one. But I have no desire for a .458 Lott.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Has anyone handled the McMillan CZ Express or whatevertheycallit stock? Wonder if it feels less like a railroad tie.

I have a CZ 416 Rigby and the only thing I seriously dislike is the that clunky stock.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There’s no question about it, the American style stocks on the big CZ’s are just large everywhere. I couldnt even get my face low enough to use the open sights. As I mentioned, there is enough wood there to have the stock slimmed down to fit you properly.

I haven’t handled the McMillan stock but if I was going synthetic i’d look at the AHR fibreglass stock. They need your barrelled action as they mould the stock around your metalwork. The only criticism I have about the B&C stock is that it’s a little thick in the wrist for me. A lot of people are fine with it though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.