Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The only ingredient in Ed's red that might dissolve plastic is the acetone. Acetone has never been proven to be a carcinogen that I am aware of and it's what womens nail polish remover is made with.

BP-B2

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hilco stuff looks good, I will give it a try. Mystery Oil was one of the better home remedies. The Winter Green and Stoddard's solvent got under the plastic and softened it some. I will start adding this to my home brew Ed's Red. I also made a life time supply of bore compound by mixing diatomaceous earth with oil. Feels just like JB and I could detect no scratching on a test piece of steel. I like making improvised stuff and also it is a 100 mile round trip to the nearest location I can buy gun products.

I'm not sure I want to use something that will eat my shoes.

Another Dyna-Tek question. Will any oil or wax remove the coating? Directions say not needed but no warning on what it would do if used. The action does feel smoother after all the cleaning and Dyna-Tek.

The main ingredient in the Brownells solution is Naptha. Might try this instead of the acetone in Ed's Red for outdoor use only.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used Marvel Mystery Oil in my Ed's Red - it was sitting on the shelf with no present uses, and I like the odor. Didn't have any kerosene.

Acetone is altogether different than naphtha, I think acetone was added to dissolve nitrocellulose residue which naphtha or the other additives won't.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
Hilco stuff looks good, I will give it a try. Mystery Oil was one of the better home remedies. The Winter Green and Stoddard's solvent got under the plastic and softened it some. I will start adding this to my home brew Ed's Red. I also made a life time supply of bore compound by mixing diatomaceous earth with oil. Feels just like JB and I could detect no scratching on a test piece of steel. I like making improvised stuff and also it is a 100 mile round trip to the nearest location I can buy gun products.

I'm not sure I want to use something that will eat my shoes.

Another Dyna-Tek question. Will any oil or wax remove the coating? Directions say not needed but no warning on what it would do if used. The action does feel smoother after all the cleaning and Dyna-Tek.

The main ingredient in the Brownells solution is Naptha. Might try this instead of the acetone in Ed's Red for outdoor use only.

Naphtha, stoddard, k1 kerosene, while not exactly the same thing are pretty dang close. I cant see any of them dissolving plastic fouling. You really need some nasty stuff to dissolve plastic and carbon.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/23/19.
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
It seems it is a matter of whatever will get under it to aide in removal. Anything that would actually dissolve it I would be afraid to use. Orange oil also worked but not a good thing to leave in the barrel due to the acidity.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Carb cleaner and brake cleaner will definitely remove plastic fouling---BUT----should only be used in well ventilated areas, AND will leave the metal completely dry. You'll need to oil your bore after using carb cleaner or a couple of humid days will produce rust.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Carb cleaner did help and again I think the Winter Green in the Mystery oil helped too. Orange oil softens the plastic as well. First one is done and I was surprised that after three soakings the copper anti siege grease was still on the choke tubes. Hopefully with the Dyna-Tek it won't get this bad again. No telling how my waterfowl gun will be after a steady diet of 3 & 3&1/2 inch steel loads. I will soak and go directly to the drill and steel wool brush if it is anywhere as bad as my over & under.

I kept switching to more and more open chokes and didn't realize that the plastic was tightening my chokes until MD posted about this. Makes sense as .005" of crud can be like one point more of choke.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
About the only thing I haven’t seen mentioned here is MEK which is about the first thing I’d try. You can get it at places like Lowe’s or Home Depot as Goof Off for removing adhesives and such. I always used it for removing layout die, but it dissolves almost anything, IME.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
That is one of the other ingredients in the Brownel's plastic remover. I am going to try MEK & Naptha with some Eds Red for a dedicated shotgun cleaner.

I will keep this separate from the plain acetone version to minimize contact. Probably will want for the steel shooting shotgun as I am guessing the 1,500+ fps loads will aggravate the plastic deposits. My hand loads I lube the wads with motor mica white graphite and this seems to reduce plastic build up. But won't help when I mix in factory loads.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use break free CPL or hoppes or what ever solvent you like and the most important thing, a 10 gauge bore brush. If things are not moving fast enough for you, use a drill and spin the rod in the barrel. My 2 cents!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Clean the chokes and threads if the gun has them. Keep the working parts cleaned and properly oiled or greased. Past the chamber and down to the threads or choke, shooting essentially cleans it with each shot. Take it down to bare metal and shoot a box of shells thru it, and as far as the barrel goes, you are back to where you started with a thin plastic coating. Know shooters who shot 10K plus rounds per year. Chokes, threads and chambers get cleaned fairly regularly, but the main barrel when it does get cleaned, will get a quick pass with a bronze brush or snake and some type of solvent. Done.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
That is one of the other ingredients in the Brownel's plastic remover. I am going to try MEK & Naptha with some Eds Red for a dedicated shotgun cleaner.

I will keep this separate from the plain acetone version to minimize contact. Probably will want for the steel shooting shotgun as I am guessing the 1,500+ fps loads will aggravate the plastic deposits. My hand loads I lube the wads with motor mica white graphite and this seems to reduce plastic build up. But won't help when I mix in factory loads.

That has to be a first. I’ve hung around serious shotgunners most of my life. People who shoot more than most could ever imagine. Guys, who when reloading shotgun shells was more popular than today, wore out reloading machines. None of them ever lubed their wads. You win, what I don’t know, but you win.
👍😀

Last edited by battue; 09/26/19.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This entire thread reminds me of two things:

First, that many of today's shooting loonies will go to extreme lengths to find reasons to spend time dinking with firearms.

Second, they often spend just as much time gacking about their dinking around on the Internet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you read the screwdriver thread in Gunsmithing? smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

First, that many of today's shooting loonies will go to extreme lengths to find reasons to spend time dinking with firearms.

Second, they often spend just as much time gacking about their dinking around on the Internet.

True this. But I did learn several things from the gacking.

Now if I only could get paid for gacking I would be rich.

Last edited by Tejano; 09/26/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Probably covers 99% of all of the procedures that are considered holy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
When I grow up I want to be a professional gacker. Are there any correspondence courses for this?

This is typical as I have shot so many dove and pigeons going out for ten or fifteen is not that appealing and the other seasons aren't open yet.

If it were not for the gacking we would not have forums like this or the Hook and Bullet press.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BWalker
The only ingredient in Ed's red that might dissolve plastic is the acetone. Acetone has never been proven to be a carcinogen that I am aware of and it's what womens nail polish remover is made with.

Acetone is produced in the human body during the breakdown of fat (ketosis) and diabetics can produce more than normal - sometimes you can smell it on their breath.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Only here can you turn advice on barrel cleaning into something out of Dr Ozz.

Dr Phil on the other hand happens most every day.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
None of the solvents mentioned dissolve plastic. It is the carbon that gets dissolved and that acts as a binder for the plastic. Some solvents like MEK, Orange Oil, and maybe Naptha make the plastic either softer or harder and either makes it easier to brush out. The tornado spring type brush works well for general clean up. I will still use the steel wool on stubborn stuff. The Brownells stuff has some other organic solvents that may actually dissolve the plastic.

Originally Posted by battue
Only here can you turn advice on barrel cleaning into something out of Dr Ozz.

Dr Phil on the other hand happens most every day.

Accurate reloader and some others have a separate forum just for the Dr. Phils and Ozz's.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.