Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
All,

Please don’t flame me, just asking a question!

We use CBs to communicate while elk hunting. I have always used a magnet mount antenna. I am contemplating adding a 4” x 4” plate to the top of the cab using some double sided tape to allow the magnet antenna to “stick” to. Will the antenna have an adequate ground plane? Not really concerned if the plate is affixed permanently if this idea is valid! I have a 3’ hood mount Firestik but I also have a high rise topper and I get very poor reception and transmission if the person I’m communicating with is behind me. Just going through all of the options! If anyone has another option please let me know!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 09/23/19.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No sir, I do not believe you will have a good antenna that way. Double sided tape is not conductive, and will isolate the antenna from any other contact with the metal of the roof.
Second, the best reception front and back, is done with two anntenea mounted left and right. (Take a look at the way semis mount thier firesticks on the wings of thier mirrors for greater width.)
There is some math involved in the proper spacing, and if I recall correctly, the trucker's mounts are close to the minimum width for the best signals.
I would suggest, having a radio shop, balance and trim your antennas for the best send/receive signal, however, perhaps a ground strap would help enough for decent ground plane connection. (Hope it helps.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
My other thought is instead of using my 3’ Firestik, I may get a 4’ whip for my fender mount. It will be taller and can handle the hwy speeds better than a taller fiberglass will.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkcountry
My other thought is instead of using my 3’ Firestik, I may get a 4’ whip for my fender mount. It will be taller and can handle the hwy speeds better than a taller fiberglass will.

Elk Country

I had a 6' fiberglass whip on a VW bug. Looked like a fast moving road rat.... wink
Edit. Spring loaded base mount, and a 6' whip will handle any speed you can get away with.

Last edited by kellory; 09/23/19.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a 4’ Wilson flex whip with no spring. I have a fender mount and shell and the 3’ antenna didn’t get out at all and the 4’ whip works great. The Wilson flex is thinner than a fire stick so it has less wind drag. It also flexes well enough no spring is needed.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
K1500,

After doing a little more digging last evening, I'm going to go the 4' whip direction. I did a little measuring and a 4' whip will clear my topper by 1.5'. should be enough for what I'll be using a cb for.

Thanks for the help guys!

Elk Country

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.