Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wyomike Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have a chance to buy a Mark X Mauser. I've never shot one before or know anyone who owns one. What is your opinion of these rifles, and what is the approximate value.
Thanks

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
They are a pretty solid mauser-actioned rifle. They often sold at econo-rifle prices but were a pretty decent rifle. Some were branded as "Whitworth" but were really just the same. GD

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Mine is a Whitworth in .308. My kids got it for me second hand at Schelds some years back. After I reworked the stock to bed properly, is shoots very well. Very nice blueing. I like mine.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
350 to 400 top end.

I would be more looking 300 to 350 for most i have seen. It would have to be pretty awesome to spend 400 on one since you can still buy new ones for about that much...forget who imports them but they're called the m70 now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both of mine are customs: one is a .338-06 and the other is a .404 Jeffery. With the help of a good gunsmith, they do make a nice, traditional custom rifle. The last one I bought was a complete, but bare, action. I think that I paid a little under $300 for it. Two of my grandsons also have semi-custom rifles that I built on Mark X actions, and I don't believe that you could buy either one.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Used to be every pawn shop and gun shop had 3 or 4 Mark X rifles on the shelf, no you seldom see them. I saw a Zastava M70 awhile back in 30-06 for sale, went by today and its still there

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Decent quality Mauser 98 Commercial actions on stocks that have varied in quality over the years, I have a number of them and they are all at least decent shooters. Of the available commercial 98's available that are reasonably priced I think they are second only to the Model 50 and 51 that Sears sold years ago. The actions on the 50 and 51 were built by FN and assembled here in the states by High-Standard, if you are patient you can pick them up on Gunbroker for a little under $400, given the Sears branding you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere if they show up.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I like mine...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyomike
I have a chance to buy a Mark X Mauser. I've never shot one before or know anyone who owns one. What is your opinion of these rifles, and what is the approximate value.
Thanks

I'm assuming you mean Mark X Interarms? Generally prices are low ($350-$400), but it all depends on what you are looking at. I've seen the whitworth model chambered in 375 H&H as low as $650.00 here locally.. My opinion on them? They are great commercial mauser rifles. Solid, reliable, dependable and a really good value for a hunting rifle... I have had them, but for some reason they always seem to go down the road, while I keep my old model 70's. The interarms mark x rifles I had were also very accurate.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
Used to be every pawn shop and gun shop had 3 or 4 Mark X rifles on the shelf, no you seldom see them. I saw a Zastava M70 awhile back in 30-06 for sale, went by today and its still there

The Zastava is no where near the rifle the Interarms were. Stock fit and finish are horrible and the bluing is not near as nice as the interarms. No offense, but it's not really the same rifle... The Charles Daly rifles and the older Remingon 798's were better than the zastava as well... The only thing Zastava has going for it is they offer theirs in a left hand version.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Zastava built Mausers have been imported by numerous companies over the years and are solid, well built rifles with really good barrels.
During the 1970's even Mauser used them and had them built with the Mauser crest on the receiver.

My old 458 is built on one of their barreled actions

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've owned two Mark X rifles, one a .375 H&H Alaskan, the other a model either made for the European trade or someones custom with a modified pre-war style style stock and double set trigger in .300 Win. Mag. Both were quite accurate. The only reason I no longer have them is someone wanted them more that I did and laid down enough cash to prove they were serious. I do agree with the poster that the J.C. Higgins rifles are better made. I have a few and they're not for sale. FWIW, the Mark X is really a copy of the FN Mauser. I can't speak another later versions as i never owned any.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good quality Mauser actions with the strengths and weaknesses of that design. Heavy floorplate and magazine box; slow lock time (Wolff spring helps), adequate but uninspiring trigger (get a Timney),, small recoil lug (I use acraglas and a crossbolt of some sort). Perhaps the best gas handling of all bolt actions. I had one of those actions in .338 with Douglas stainless and Brown kevlar, and it was extremely accurate. I don't care for the way they extended the magazine for the .375 H&H. They cut away a lot of the lower lug recess, more than necessary if they had modified the bolt stop.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by longbarrel
Good quality Mauser actions with the strengths and weaknesses of that design. Heavy floorplate and magazine box; slow lock time (Wolff spring helps), adequate but uninspiring trigger (get a Timney),, small recoil lug (I use acraglas and a crossbolt of some sort). Perhaps the best gas handling of all bolt actions. I had one of those actions in .338 with Douglas stainless and Brown kevlar, and it was extremely accurate. I don't care for the way they extended the magazine for the .375 H&H. They cut away a lot of the lower lug recess, more than necessary if they had modified the bolt stop.

All actions have strengths and weaknesses depending on their intended usage. The M 98 Mauser was not designed as a benchrest nor target rifle and there are better actions for converting into ultralight mountain rifles. They were designed as rugged, dependable actions for combat. And most of those traits were also well appreciated by hunters, especially those hunting dangerous game.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by longbarrel

All actions have strengths and weaknesses depending on their intended usage. The M 98 Mauser was not designed as a benchrest nor target rifle and there are better actions for converting into ultralight mountain rifles. They were designed as rugged, dependable actions for combat. And most of those traits were also well appreciated by hunters, especially those hunting dangerous game.

Well said..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fine rifles, pretty much the equal of FNs in things that matter most IMO. Prices seem to have almost caught up with FNs too. Last one I saw was actually a Remington 798 that looked better finished than either Mark X I owned.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by greydog
They are a pretty solid mauser-actioned rifle. They often sold at econo-rifle prices but were a pretty decent rifle. Some were branded as "Whitworth" but were really just the same. GD

Mine is a “Whitworth”, but not like any Mauser action I have ever seen. Mine is a single shot,
It is a solid chunk of steel that looks normal on the top but extends down where the magazine would normally be on the bottom side.The fiberglass stock is of unknown origin as is the 6oz trigger. The barrel was chambered in 240 Olsen but was absolutely toast.
I reshaped the stock and had it painted and re- barreled it in 6mm-284. The barrel is once again toast but is absolutely the last gun I would ever sell.
At 24 pounds it’s a bench gun, just trying to decide what to chamber it in this time ❓❓

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Fine rifles, pretty much the equal of FNs in things that matter most IMO. Prices seem to have almost caught up with FNs too. Last one I saw was actually a Remington 798 that looked better finished than either Mark X I owned.

That 798 you saw was serviced heavily if finished to 50% of the worst Mark X I've ever seen. Only 798s I've handled were like rubbing two files together face to face when you worked them. Remington cheapened the product when they bought the rights away from Daly.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one.....it's a fine rifle....and bargain priced.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One ive been eyeballing is an old kimber, made off of an fn receiver. Supposed to be a good shooter for $300.00. The only problem is i have too many 30-06 rifles as it is..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.