Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Southwest Washington. Goldenrod and VPI-VCI stuff. No rust.

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 09/23/19.
BP-B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Not a shot at you sandbilly or anyone in particular.

Gawd forbid .
Dont buy a barber brush and some oil.

Hear that screaming sound ??????

It is nation full of rusting guns that coulda used 5 minutes of attention once a month.
It is also fun hitting the guns with an oil down.
Dunno know that might just be me, call me crazy for liking a clean well maintained gun.
P.S.
They last longer being taken care of also.

Patina
The fools aura phrase excuse for long term neglect.
Specially when selling to another fool.....

Last edited by renegade50; 09/23/19.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
WD-40 wipe down

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50

Gawd forbid .

It is nation full of rusting guns that coulda used 5 minutes of attention once a month.
Dunno know that might just be me, call me crazy for liking a clean well maintained gun.
P.S.

Patina

I hear ya, I tend to bullshit just a little bit (wink wink). I take care of my [bleep]. That’s why I asked about this item. My grandfathers stuff is in there. I won’t fugg around.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Gawd forbid .

P.S.

Patina

I've got one gun whose only finish is patina. Looks like it came from the factory with a patina finish. In my defense, though, I bought it like that. It's an early 1900s (pre-WWI) Model 94 Winchester. Still works great, and the bore is just fine.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Big difference between a rust browning procees or rust brown chem finish which it might actually be and the hardened smoothed over handled aged rust called patina that some hold in such high"regard" as a selling point.

To each their own......

Patina is a result of compounded neglect over time that has gained mythical value by fools long ago to be used as a selling point for top dollar value.

I dont buy into it.
I also dont buy into the removing patina and restoring a finish destroys condition value.
Metal or wood.
Laughable to hear wood described as having patina
Patina on wood is fughing grime.....
This schit was something made up by sellers long ago to get top dollar value and has mutated into an accepted standard and condition term to get top dollar out of poor condition firearms.

The antique bussiness is also full of old fogey bullschitt standards established decades ago also for top dollar sales to the gullible.

JMO
And I am sticking by it, always have, always will.

Last edited by renegade50; 09/23/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A knew a Patina in a school

She was faaaaaat

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Big difference between a rust browning procees or rust brown chem finish which it might actually be and the hardened smoothed over handled aged rust called patina that some hold in such high"regard" as a selling point.

To each their own......

Patina is a result of compounded neglect over time that has gained mythical value by fools long ago to be used as a selling point for top dollar value.

I dont buy into it.
I also dont buy into the removing patina and restoring a finish destroys condition value.
Metal or wood.
This schit was something made up by sellers long ago to get top dollar value and has mutated into an accepted standard and condition term to get top dollar out of poor condition firearms.

The antique bussiness is also full of old fogey bullschitt standards established decades ago also for top dollar sales to the gullible.

JMO

It's like with coin collecting, too. An old filthy coin can be worth a lot. Clean it, and suddenly the coin collecting community says it's now worthless as a collector's piece.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

To each their own......

I dont buy into it.
Metal or wood.

JMO

It's like with coin collecting, too. An old filthy coin can be worth a lot. Clean it, and suddenly the coin collecting community says it's now worthless as a collector's piece.

Imo
These standards were established in compensation for " experts" back in day buying low grade common schit, cause they didnt wanta buy the same stuff in way better condition at a higher price for resale.
And overtime it has become a urban legend standard of value.

Enough people talked schitt up for years and decades, it became accepted.

All it took was a compounding over time affect.

Where is it in writing and by who or whom that these standards have become gospel.
And what is the intial base line of it.

Mose,s came off the mountain with an 11th commandment.

Proclaiming
"Patina is legit and valuable, god just said so"

GMFAB...

Lol!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

To each their own......

I dont buy into it.
Metal or wood.

JMO

I once saw a nice old pistol, heavily rusted but lightly pitted sitting ignored on a table at a busy gun show - no one was interested.
So I bought it, and after about 2 hours of polishing it got a hot bluing on my Coleman stove. It took on an especially nice blue color.
Not long after, I sold it to a dealer for 4x what I paid for it.
As he was paying me, the dealer lamented about "how some dummy had ruined a valuable collectible by refinishing it".

Last edited by night_owl; 09/24/19.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
WD40 is water based so it actually causes rust try some TRIFLOW

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wd-40 would be the last thing I used. Kroil is my go to.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by night_owl

I once saw a nice old pistol, heavily rusted but lightly pitted sitting ignored on a table at a busy gun show - no one was interested.
So I bought it, and after about 2 hours of polishing it got a hot bluing on my Coleman stove. It took on an especially nice blue color.
As he was paying me, the dealer lamented about "how some dummy had ruined a valuable collectible by refinishing it".

It had little buyer interest till you did your magic on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Conversely, sometimes people make money "antiquing" things.

abusus non tollit usum
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Conversely, sometimes people make money "antiquing" things.

Amazing aint it.
Take something decent, fugg it all up .
Sell it to some dupe.

The Patina awe factor......

Last edited by renegade50; 09/24/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Golden rods in safes.

Shop has central air/heat. That keeps moisture under control.

Ballistol is very good. WD-40 is a curse to guns, IMO. I use it on hand tools and farm equipment, never on guns or locks, etc. It can form a varnish that is very hard to remove. Ballistol never does that, is a non petroleum product, unlike WD-40. Ballistol never gums up, can even be used with BP. Try that with petrol based products.

DF

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
BP?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BP?

Black powder. Some cowboy action shooters, those into BP, make "pigeon milk", Ballistol and water, to clean their equipment. Works well.

Petroleum products and BP don't get along very well....

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
WD40 is water based so it actually causes rust try some TRIFLOW

There is ZERO water in WD40

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A 100 way lightbulb will put off more heat then a goldenrod

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
222 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.