Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Buddy’s being asked to come up and haul a horse or 2 back.

What could he haul and easily turn/sell in AK once he gets there? Hay is obvious but the potential profit is minimal.

I suggested wheelers. But how easy would it be to sell 4 or 5 wheelers once he’s there?

Horse is in Wasilla so anywhere between port and Wasilla.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is he dragging up an otherwise empty horse trailer?

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
So far nothing heading north.

24’ stock trailer.

Montana MOFO
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaHaySales

$28.50 per bale for Alpha.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Run an ad on AK List ,AK Outdoors Forum, And here. But know what you are hauling and custom requirements.

kk alaska

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you might get hassled by Canada customs; IME....they always seem frightened to death that someone will collapse their economy by bringing something in and (gulp!) selling it!! in their country. traveled with a dog once from AK to lower. not too bad, shot records were enough. they did not require the dog to sign an affidavit or anything, swearing that I was not engaged in animal trafficking

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Truckload of SWFA SS!
blush

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where is he starting? If anywhere near an Amish sawmill or two he could bring up a trailer load of hardwood lumber... keep it rough so the planed surfaces won't get beat up.

Sell ahead of time on Craigslist or Alaska list...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trailers. I’ve seen people almost double what they paid for a trailer in the lower 48 here. I just dropped $3200 on a new ATV trailer that I saw in the lower 48 advertised for $1900-$2300.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like people are always looking for sheets of UHMW.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by FishinHank

I'd buy a couple...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Damn, now I'm hearing if I have to replace UHMW thats going to be stupider high too... LOL>

PLEASE NO ATVS. lmao

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Load up with some cheap Indian reservation cigs and head into the bush. He can say to hell with hauling the horse home and just charter a jet.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Subarus!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weed sells really good in Alaska. Long winters, ya know? Ever notice how many babies are born in September?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Load up with some cheap Indian reservation cigs and head into the bush. He can say to hell with hauling the horse home and just charter a jet.

I could have bought cartons of cigs for $9.00 a carton in Kabul. If I could have gotten them through customs I could have been a rich man.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pitbulls. There are tons of people who will pay a high premium for shipping pitbulls, boxers, frenchies and english bulldogs that they don't transport up on airlines anymore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

I could have bought cartons of cigs for $9.00 a carton in Kabul. If I could have gotten them through customs I could have been a rich man.

Yeah it’s no joke! An old coworker used to somehow bring in cases of schitty Seneca cigs and peddle enough to smoke for free. He didn’t have to sell many to break even or turn a profit. Someone in that chain got pinched I think and he had to start buying schitty smokes in town. Worked for a while anyways!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank

I think we have a winner...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When I was up there, trailers were the hot item. Subarus and 4 Runners are an interesting possibility. If he's coming from a northern state with out mountains, he could possibly find long track snowmachines for cheap.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Cocaine. Better fuel mileage too. Have him PM me for details. And he doesn’t have to worry about falling asleep!

Last edited by WDH; 09/26/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uhmw is at alaska rubber and rigging..i buy it all the time, btw my kid has worked there more than 10 years lol, ...trailers bring trailers...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Multiple skills

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snowmachines, preferably of the mountain variety.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
Multiple skills

Perfect!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
WIMMINS

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 458Win
Multiple skills

Trust me. He isn’t staying. He trucks and ranches. He will make a quick turnaround.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is the cost to get a horse down to Montana ?

Ive know a couple folks who’ve brought a horse or two up in a down-south purchased trailer and sold all but their truck upon arrival up here.

Coming up empty to back-haul a horse(s) is different, unless one can find a trailer here to buy. But AK trailer prices leave no room for profit when selling in the L48.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
What is the cost to get a horse down to Montana ?

Ive know a couple folks who’ve brought a horse or two up in a down-south purchased trailer and sold all but their truck upon arrival up here.

Coming up empty to back-haul a horse(s) is different, unless one can find a trailer here to buy. But AK trailer prices leave no room for profit when selling in the L48.

I will ask Gary. He hasn't made an AK run for a couple years so I don't remember.

Usually he won't go without a load both ways. If he has to travel empty, the price goes up obviously. He has hauled everything from horses, motorcycles, hay dogs and even a [bleep] once.

Montana MOFO
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Tell him to stop by in Wasilla and say “hello” to Sarah 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hmmm... I'm thinking of driving up in my Ford E-250 work van, trailering a 14 deep vee aluminum boat. Then tooling around for a month or so before heading back south. Reading this thread got me to thinking just sell everything and fly back. Would those items be easy to sell?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Hmmm... I'm thinking of driving up in my Ford E-250 work van, trailering a 14 deep vee aluminum boat. Then tooling around for a month or so before heading back south. Reading this thread got me to thinking just sell everything and fly back. Would those items be easy to sell?

The boat maybe, if it's cheap enough. The E-250 probably not. They've fallen out of favor lately up here and most people are going to the FWD Promasters and Transits. Lot of folks are using them for businesses and making little mini campers out of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
you might get hassled by Canada customs; IME....they always seem frightened to death that someone will collapse their economy by bringing something in and (gulp!) selling it!! in their country.

Do you think it's different going from Canada to the US?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
you might get hassled by Canada customs; IME....they always seem frightened to death that someone will collapse their economy by bringing something in and (gulp!) selling it!! in their country.

It’s worse....

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friends dad use to go to SoCal every year for a work conference. He’d pick up a clean BMW or Mercedes to drive back to Anchorage and flip it.

Claimed he always cleared enough to pay for his trip.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

It’s worse....

as a US citizen its always been a MUCH larger PITA to get back into the US. I have NEVER understood that.
Only once did we have a tiny issue at the Canada border and the fault was ours... long story there as we followed folks off the ferry and early in the AM and I suppose never realized we were NOT supposed to be sitting at the Canada entry that early in the AM... it was ok though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

It’s worse....

as a US citizen its always been a MUCH larger PITA to get back into the US. I have NEVER understood that.
Only once did we have a tiny issue at the Canada border and the fault was ours... long story there as we followed folks off the ferry and early in the AM and I suppose never realized we were NOT supposed to be sitting at the Canada entry that early in the AM... it was ok though.

I suppose the farther north you go the harder the entry to the US is.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I plan to bring a motor home up and then sell once there. I think i should be able to get out of it what I pay originally, sans the fuel to get from SD to Fbx.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I plan to bring a motor home up and then sell once there. I think i should be able to get out of it what I pay originally, sans the fuel to get from SD to Fbx.

Unless you get hosed on the motorhome down there, ime you should turn a tidy profit

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Unless you get hosed on the motorhome down there, ime you should turn a tidy profit

Is the room for profit really that great?? I’ve got a 2018 43.5’ fifth wheel down in Texas with my pickup truck. I have to drive my pickup back, regardless. Was considering bringing the camper but had decided to just try to offload it down there for cheap so I don’t have to trailer it 4,500 miles. But, if there’s money to be made, I’ll bring it along...

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 10/01/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Is the room for profit really that great?? I’ve got a 2018 43.5’ fifth wheel down in Texas with my pickup truck. I have to drive my pickup back, regardless. Was considering bringing the camper but had decided to just try to offload it down there for cheap so I don’t have to trailer it 4,500 miles. But, if there’s money to be made, I’ll bring it along...

Consider the value added to your trip and it is a no-brainer. Bring it!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Perhaps. But it’s going to be a death run. Short timeline so a buddy and I are going to tag team it to get it done as quickly as possible. Not sure a camper adds much more than a headache, in that scenario, so I want to make sure the end justifies the means.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 10/01/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rost495

It’s worse....

I suppose the farther north you go the harder the entry to the US is.

There could be a good reason its liek that farther north.... though the worst I've had has alwasy been the lower 48 line. But I suspect I may never cross that line again.

The last trip crossing in there below TOK they had a long discussion about how much money we had on us.. and then again with my wife who was sitting next to me during the whole conversation. And then back to me again. Jeez. An old powerstroke, old camper and old airboat in tow and the fact I had around 5K just in case plus credit cards seemed to bother the good ol USA boys...
They seemed to think we were carrying lots more cash... lmao

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd take a look around on Craigslist and maybe call anyone that deals in used travel trailers and get an idea of its market value.

There are times when the difference between here and L48 are significant. Like 40-50% significant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Where is he starting? If anywhere near an Amish sawmill or two he could bring up a trailer load of hardwood lumber... keep it rough so the planed surfaces won't get beat up.

Sell ahead of time on Craigslist or Alaska list...

I wonder if you can get raw lumber across the border easily.

Tree bugs and such.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Drift Boat oars shipping costs can cost as much as the oars.

kk alaska

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I never had a problem bringing rough sawn lumber up to my camp in Ontario when I lived in Michigan. I did have to pay duty crossing the boarder since the wood was staying there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
I never had a problem bringing rough sawn lumber up to my camp in Ontario when I lived in Michigan. I did have to pay duty crossing the boarder since the wood was staying there.

Would probably be a good idea to pass on ash lumber though we have no ash trees in AK...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snowmachines, the more the better....

They are dirt cheap here compared to Alaska.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP's opportunity may have passed but I'm just gonna add my 2 cents worth here for future reference..

Had a friend that hauled top quality drift boats up from the lower 48 every trip, he did well with selling them.

But on the UHMW thing....

UHMW of every possible dimension and thickness in sheets as well as square stock (2x4, 2x6 etc) gets tossed and trashed by seafood processors every year due to scratches.
The sheet goods (1/4", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1 inch thick...every conceivable dimension up to 5'x10's) is used in fish processing for butch tables, inspection tables, etc. Once it gets scratched up a bit it has to be replaced due to being deemed "no longer cleanable" by health inspectors, quality control etc. Some times they can get by with flipping it over but that just puts the non-cleanable side outta sight but still present so it's not really commonly done. I've seen it replaced on species change, like switching from doing Pinks in the SE to the Pollock season kickin in and they didn't use the same UHMW for multiple species.
This UHMW is in perfect condition for 99% of most uses but no longer considered sanitary.

If you have a connection with a processing facility or could develop one, you'd be into a gravy haul of UHMW for whatever it cost you to get it to where you need it.

I was on a ship anchored 1/4 mile off shore at Juneau one night doing some generator work when they loaded a burn basket large enough you could have easily set 2 pick-up trucks in, full of various sized pieces of UHMW.
There must of been 6 full sheets along with 30 or 40 pieces ripped down to 3' and 4' x 6' to 10' sizes.

They swung it over the side with a crane and set it on fire and burned all of it.
They had last been processing Pollock and were in Juneau to run Chums and strip roe, they told me they just didn't use the same UHMW with different species and had replaced everything in their plant for the change over.

I wanted to cry....

Around all the Salmon facilities in Bristol Bay it's hauled to the local landfill, I'd assume the same for the shore based SE processors.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Now, that is good information to have...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Found some at $4.90 a foot

kk alaska

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cut price? Didn’t have to buy a stick?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wife picked it up in town for me, only wanted 5 ft thinking a stick 20ft would have been around $25.

kk alaska

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Tarkio: Beer!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wife picked up 5 ft of 2" Schedule 80 PVC pipe at Central plumbing in Anchorage receipt said $4.90 a ft
$ 24.50. Called them today and asked them if I could pick up the rest of the stick sold in 20 ft lengths thinking I was charged for a 20 ft length

Central said its $4.90 a foot and stick price is $98 for 20 ft. Wow !!!

Called Ferguson,s around $25 a stick, looks like Central sticks it to you!

So Schedule 80 PVC might be worth bringing up!

kk alaska

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mighty proud of it!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Buddy got bucked off his wheeler the other day. Not sure now he is going to make this run.

See ow his surgery goes.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,258
Posts18,448,140
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.