Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Do not replace that trigger, it's a better design than anything you'll replace it with. Send it to Redneck or another gunsmith that knows how to work over M70 triggers, not all of them do. Replacing an old style M70 trigger is just spending good money for something that's inferior to the original.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Do not replace that trigger, it's a better design than anything you'll replace it with. Send it to Redneck or another gunsmith that knows how to work over M70 triggers, not all of them do. Replacing an old style M70 trigger is just spending good money for something that's inferior to the original.

AMEN!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Fact.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Send it to Lee ( redneck) and let him work it over, I love the open style trigger of my pre 64 Model 70's.

Yes, i like mine too. One of the best trigger designs out there. They are simple, reliable, rugged and trouble free in any kind of weather. They are also one of the simplest designs to fine tune.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Those triggers are adjustable (IIRC) with a couple 1/4” special wrenches you should be able to get from Brownell’s.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Those triggers are adjustable (IIRC) with a couple 1/4” special wrenches you should be able to get from Brownell’s.

"Adjustable" is not the same as a total refit... Trust me... (NH triggers - not that POS BACO crap)... smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My 94 nh crf mod 70 ot6 trigger breaks at 18 oz like xmas ornament glass.
Dont care what others think about my setup.
Passes bolt slam test and buttstock bounce test .

Nothing wrong with that trigger that cant be tuned, polished, or adjusted on it to make it perform better.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Sevastopol

"Adjustable" is not the same as a total refit... Trust me... (NH triggers - not that POS BACO crap)... smile smile

It's evident from the write-ups that you can work some magic on them.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Who works magic on the MOA triggers? Or are they good orb?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
an older push feed model.

Is it worth sending the trigger off to somebody else or just throw a Timney in? Any recommendations on who?

Redneck has adjusted two of my older M70 triggers and I like them and that would be my first choice. But, I'm not you. It seems your choice is an open style trigger than can be adjusted to a somewhat soft 3 lb. pull or a closed style like the aftermarket Timney that can be adjusted to a crispy 1 1/2 lb. pull that can have freeze up problems in "extreme" cold.

Some of the guys in Canada use brake cleaner or something similar to degrease their closed triggers, and hunt with them dry. Or they can be lubed with some lighter fluid.
Happy Hunting

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
Who works magic on the MOA triggers? Or are they good orb?

Not sure what orb means (gtg?) but I have a couple moas with an ernie the gunsmith spring that are quite nice - definitely an improvement.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
an older push feed model.

Is it worth sending the trigger off to somebody else or just throw a Timney in? Any recommendations on who?

Redneck has adjusted two of my older M70 triggers and I like them and that would be my first choice. But, I'm not you. It seems your choice is an open style trigger than can be adjusted to a somewhat soft 3 lb. pull or a closed style like the aftermarket Timney that can be adjusted to a crispy 1 1/2 lb. pull that can have freeze up problems in "extreme" cold.

Some of the guys in Canada use brake cleaner or something similar to degrease their closed triggers, and hunt with them dry. Or they can be lubed with some lighter fluid.
Happy Hunting

I don't really have a preference if it's open or closed on this particular rifle. I live where I'm not worried about my trigger freezing (currently 92) and it will not see extended exposure to dust/dirt. I had it built as a deer stand gun.

I have been wanting to do a little lighter weight build off a M70. I'm thinking I'm going to throw a Timney into the current rifle and will save original trigger to replace the moa on that project. I learned my lesson on the last one. Next M70 build gets shipped to Redneck

Last edited by TxHunter80; 09/26/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
M.O.A. trigger doesn't interchange with any other, older trigger. Different designed action and bolt.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks. Wasn't aware of that

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Talk to Redneck about his service, then weigh his options vs. other trigger options. Shipping firearms for me is a PITA with the hours I keep since I work 100% on call. However, I have a fairly local GS who is great with Winchester rifles as well and if I have issues I drive it to him.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Talk to Redneck about his service, then weigh his options vs. other trigger options. Shipping firearms for me is a PITA with the hours I keep since I work 100% on call. However, I have a fairly local GS who is great with Winchester rifles as viwell and if I have issues I drive it to him.

My local gunsmith is excellent with 700s but this one fell a little short. Redneck did messege me. He was very, very reasonable on his price and will get the next full build for sure. He did request the whole barreled action for the trigger job to test it after adjustment. I was expecting to ship just the trigger. I think it will be more cost effective to just go the Timney route. I'll either save the factory trigger or sale it. No big deal

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't know about M70 push-feed model triggers, or if they are identical to CRF triggers- all I know, from experience with older, M70 pre'64 triggers is that they are some of the simplest, most reliable, creep-free triggers ever offered on a production rifle. It can be tuned to perfection by someone who knows their craft. You will have to look long and hard to find a superior trigger, on any rifle, period.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by handwerk
Send it to Lee ( redneck) and let him work it over, I love the open style trigger of my pre 64 Model 70's.

x2, can’t beat a well tuned M70 trigger on a hunting rifle. Not hard to do, but someone good can really make one sing.

Send it to Lee..........+1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bighorn
from experience with older, M70 pre'64 triggers is that they are some of the simplest, most reliable, creep-free triggers ever offered on a production rifle. It can be tuned to perfection by someone who knows their craft. You will have to look long and hard to find a superior trigger, on any rifle, period.

This sums it up perfectly IMO.

On a hunting rifle they are IMO the perfect trigger.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,388
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.