Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I am looking for another scope for one of my bear guns (9.3x63 on an FN Mauser) I hunt dense forest in Manitoba. I have a 1.5-6x42 Meopta that I like, running at 1.5 power as the shots are close and magnification is not needed given the distances that the bear are visible. One key performance factor is low light capability.
Options I am considering:
- Another 1.5-6x42 Meopta as the price is great now $299.99
- Aimpoint 9000L
- One of the many 1-6 power scopes primarily designed for AR's running at its lowest power, prefarably FFP as all of hunting scopes are FFP.

Question, low good is the low light performance of the Aimpoint 9000L, and is there a scope in the 1-6 power for the AR that has excellent low light performance.

Thanks
wade

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The crosshair disappears on standard Leupold Duplex scopes before the light fades. I have used a lot of the 1.5-5x20 Leupold Vari-X lll scopes, but the last one I ordered with the heavy Duplex and that is a great scope, or should I say great crosshair into really dark conditions. I've never liked a lighted reticle, but you are aiming at a black animal at last light in a dark woods, so that could be the place for one. My first choice for low light is a 30 mm tube 1.5-6x42 Zeiss Euro scope, but honestly given the price difference, that heavy Duplex Leupold isn't way far behind that Zeiss looking through them both into full darkness.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have used the Leupold 1.5-5 with heavy duplex reticle and am happy with it in dense MN woods for black bear hunting with shots under 100 yards.That is what is going on my new to me .358 I get next week.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Trijicon accupoint on my primary BB gun.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by wade brown

prefarably FFP as all of hunting scopes are FFP.

None of mine are FFP and maybe never will be. I don't see the reason to go FFP at close range.

Doug's recommendation is a good one I believe, thinking about one myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I mount an Eotech red dot on my Marlin 1895 guide gun. I zeroed it at 50 yds. Works awesome. Especially when you are hunting bait at 20 yards.

GoTigersGo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have used a Leupold 1.5 x 5 for almost 40 years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All red dots, even the very best, reduce light transmission a bit because you're looking through a semi-silvered mirror, hence the bue tint. A scope is better I think, and one with an illuminated aiming point, provided it goes low enough not to blind you, would be great. I've used one Leupold with a green dot and liked it a lot, except for the open turrets which were too easy to turn. My Hawkes have good lights, but the reticles are too fine for use in dense woods if the battery fails.

Your Meopta sounds like the beans, especially if one comes with a good light. The Leupold illumination system works great, and has auto shut-off and on, if you can find one you trust (sorry, has to be mentioned). Except for the knobs, I'd still be running that Leupold AR Mod 1.

BobbyTomek uses illuminated scopes a lot. I'd get his opinion if I could.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Bought one of these earlier this summer on sale from Doug. Going to be mounting it on a BLR in 358 this weekend. So far I like the scope a lot and think it’s exactly what you are looking for.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Lacy1
I mount an Eotech red dot on my Marlin 1895 guide gun. I zeroed it at 50 yds. Works awesome. Especially when you are hunting bait at 20 yards.

I thought Real Hunters didn't use bait.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree that holographic "red dots" do seem to be darker...same as range finders...

Your Meopta is probably a good choice...as is the recommended Burris. I REALLY wanted one of the 2 on my Montana. But on a rifle I bought for the weight factor, adding a heavy piece of glass didn't make sense...I have several Leupold 2.5-8x36 scopes and decided to stick with it.

I gotta ask....if you're running scopes at nearly no magnification, have you considered a ghost ring??

The other rifle I setup this summer, I went with a ghost ring on. I usually run my Leupolds at 3-4x...this rifle I wanted for thick dark timber and when it's raining/snowing and keeping a scope clean is nearly impossible...I spend my days still hunting or tracking... keeping a scope covered doesn't work for me and action is usually close and fast. I'm confident I could shoot my ghost ring well beyond quitting time.

Just a thought...I don't know your style of hunting or if you've considered it or tried it ..for a tight quarters gun, they make sense.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On the ghost ring option, IMO they work best in bright daylight. As soon as the sun sets they become much harder to see through. I believe the OP is looking for something for low light situations. Therefore I would not recommend a ghost ring in this application.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’d think the Leupold 1-4 w/ a German #1 is made for that, if you want light and simple. A Trijicon 1-4 works well for me, too. The Leupold VX-R LPV might have good low light performance. Their 2-7/3-9 do well. If the Meopta has a heavy duplex (Zeiss #20-ish), and you like it already, why not?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.