Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I recently bought a 6.5 Grendel. I bought some Hornady brass for it and a set of Redding series "C" dies. If it helps I use a Forster Co-Ax press. After loading some bullets I checked them on my concentricity gauge. With new brass less than 10 of the 50 loaded were further than .003 out. After shooting them I resized all and loaded 10 more with a different primer. All ten were well out of alinement. I then checked the unloaded case necks and found them to be well out too. I happened to be reading Mule Deer's book ... Gack II and remembered he said to take the depriming pin out to have straighter cases. I re-ran the cases through the die and they came out .001. Then I loaded the bullets. Almost all were again very crooked. I straighten them on my True Tool and they shoot great. My question is why would they go crooked after making sure the cases were straight and then loading the bullets? The die didn't seat them crooked before and no adjustment was made on it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might try posting this on the Gun Writer forum and maybe Mule Deer may have an answer.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thought about that, but figured it should go in the reloading section. He gets here occasionally. If I don't get some action on it soon I'll go there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any chance your seating stem is out of alignment or doesn't fit your bullets?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Id also be looking at the seater as the culprit.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I recently bought a 6.5 Grendel. I bought some Hornady brass for it and a set of Redding series "C" dies. If it helps I use a Forster Co-Ax press. After loading some bullets I checked them on my concentricity gauge. With new brass less than 10 of the 50 loaded were further than .003 out. After shooting them I resized all and loaded 10 more with a different primer. All ten were well out of alinement. I then checked the unloaded case necks and found them to be well out too. I happened to be reading Mule Deer's book ... Gack II and remembered he said to take the depriming pin out to have straighter cases. I re-ran the cases through the die and they came out .001. Then I loaded the bullets. Almost all were again very crooked. I straighten them on my True Tool and they shoot great. My question is why would they go crooked after making sure the cases were straight and then loading the bullets? The die didn't seat them crooked before and no adjustment was made on it.

After you sized the brass without the expander ball did you take any steps to expand the necks to a proper size for the correct interference fit when seating bullets?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've dealt with gremlins of that nature since forever, and it never seems to be the same solution twice. Even with premium top quality dies there's room for error to pop up. (I've long suspected that the average reloading press's rams are seldom in perfect alignment with the die holes, not to mention slop in male and female die threads and slop in ram fit.) Nowadays when I want the ultimate in perfectly straight ammo right out of the chute, in selected calibers, I resorted to using straight line L.E.Wilson dies and an arbor press. Oh my god slow, but oh my god straight ammo, as confirmed with my Sinclair concentricity gauge. Besides, what's time to a pig? grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mathman

After you sized the brass without the expander ball did you take any steps to expand the necks to a proper size for the correct interference fit when seating bullets?

Wouldn't that cause the necks to go back crooked? Also, I used the same style and brand of bullets. 100g NBT. They did not seat hard.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Id also be looking at the seater as the culprit.

The seater wasn't a problem when originally loaded. Also, it wasn't adjusted after the first loading when cartridges were much more straight.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Wouldn't that cause the necks to go back crooked? Also, I used the same style and brand of bullets. 100g NBT. They did not seat hard.

That depends on tools, technique and the brass itself. I rarely ever use the expander ball in FL dies in the conventional matter. If I FL size I push the neck over an expander mandrel in a subsequent operation. When the brass has good necks I rarely see as much as .003" runout in the assembled rounds.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

What mathman's talking about is pushing the expander ball through the neck (starting from the outside) in a second step, rather than pulling it through (from the inside) during the first sizing step.

Either way, you do need to expand the necks if using a standard FL die, otherwise the neck inside diameter is usually way too small and that can cause both runout and neck tension issues.

This kind of thing is also why a lot of guys chasing accuracy and low runout like to neck turn their cases; uneven neck thickness can cause runout during both sizing and seating. Adjusting neck wall thickness can also be used to adjust neck tension on the bullet.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Would double seating help in this case?

MAGA! This is the way!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I recently purchased a Hornady concentricity gage and found that my ammo assembled using RCBS and/or Redding NS/FL dies and Hornady New Dimension seaters with the sliding sleeve were consistantly within .001" - .003" concentric. I no longer check concentricity and with proven loads get MOA accuracy.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Yondering

What mathman's talking about is pushing the expander ball through the neck (starting from the outside) in a second step, rather than pulling it through (from the inside) during the first sizing step.

Either way, you do need to expand the necks if using a standard FL die, otherwise the neck inside diameter is usually way too small and that can cause both runout and neck tension issues.

This kind of thing is also why a lot of guys chasing accuracy and low runout like to neck turn their cases; uneven neck thickness can cause runout during both sizing and seating. Adjusting neck wall thickness can also be used to adjust neck tension on the bullet.

Now you guys got me really confused. How does one pull the expander ball through the neck from the inside without first pushing it through from the outside? I hope I am not being too dense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

Now you guys got me really confused. How does one pull the expander ball through the neck from the inside without first pushing it through from the outside? I hope I am not being too dense.

You size with the expander removed. Then you put it back in the die but screw it down so it expands the neck before the case contacts any other part of the die. Mule Deer wrote about this in (I think) Gun Gack 1. The idea is that the bottom of the case is flat against the shell holder as you raise the ram and it makes more concentric sizing than pulling the expander out when only part of the rim is contacting the shell holder.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 09/26/19.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

If the expander ball is in your sizing die when you first size the case, it doesn't (shouldn't!) have to expand the neck on the way in, only on the way out after the neck is squeezed down in the die.

If you run the case into the die without an expander ball, then push it through in a second step, the neck is already sized small so the expander ball has to expand the neck as it's pushed in.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Ok. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to decap during the sizing process, screw an expander from a smaller caliber into your sizing die. For example use a 270 expander stem in your 30-06 die so it pushes out the primers without contacting the case. Saves buying a separate deprime die if you don't want to mess with that.

Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
If you want to decap during the sizing process, screw an expander from a smaller caliber into your sizing die. For example use a 270 expander stem in your 30-06 die so it pushes out the primers without contacting the case. Saves buying a separate deprime die if you don't want to mess with that.

Never thought of that. I may have to try it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Variable neck wall thickness most heavily expresses itself after ones slugs have been seated. Turn/ream one's necks and the issue may vanish.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.