Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Tejano
[quote=remingtonman

Mr. shoemaker you should write a book on your Alaskan guiding experiences and wild animal encounters. I enjoying reading about guns, bullets and hunting. I would buy a book from you. Good stuff

I second this idea. Those winters are pretty long which should allow some time for writing. Also just the chapter on the guns you have owned would be fascinating to someone like me. It could be in the lines of Sarber, Waugh and Whelen. I bet JB would coach you on self publishing and maybe even act as editor. (I am sure he will appreciate me volunteering his services)
[/quote]

The motion has been seconded...all in favor say I

Sorry Phil...your year is about to get real busy LOL

GOD Bless America
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never mind the mule, just load the wagon... blush

With friends like that... tired

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by super T
I have never hunted the big bears, so cut me some slack if this is a stupid question. But, why wouldn't a double-barrel be a good option if fast follow up shots are sometimes called for?

They’d work, Joe Want used a 500NE some IIRC. But they’re heavy, expensive, and don’t come in SS or synthetic.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No help here with a man like Phil on the job, but, were I too take my 458 for big bear it'd be loaded with either 500gr Woodleigh or Partitions, they both leave the old FN Browning Safari just North of 2150 fps, my part being done correctly, cant see where either wouldn't handily do theirs. good luck and have fun.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Barnes Monos run fast.

TSX 350 would be my choice.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by super T
I have never hunted the big bears, so cut me some slack if this is a stupid question. But, why wouldn't a double-barrel be a good option if fast follow up shots are sometimes called for?

Last thing I would want to carry, as a sportsman and not a guide, is a $30,000 blued rifle that weighs 13 pounds on a bear hunt. You are far better off with a good low-power optic so you can really make your one shot count- that's all you're going to get.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Put me down for a signed hardback copy of the book please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been working on a couple of books and can at least see light at the end of the tunnel.
Just sent the majority of our bear hunters home an hour ago. I had to follow up and finish up another big one with my 458 last week and had chosen to use 500 gr Woodleigh softs. I was again dissatisfied with their penetration on big bears. The four hits I made showed entrance holes you could put your fist in, with lots of blown back fat, but not much penetration! I would have been better off with either TSX, Hornady's or Partitions .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Phil have you ever had a hunter in camp with a MS 1956 Magnum in 458 Win Mag. I am just curious. They are very well liked on the African Hunting Site and was wondering on your take on mannlichers in general. There seems to be quite a few up here.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
No help here with a man like Phil on the job, but, were I too take my 458 for big bear it'd be loaded with either 500gr Woodleigh or Partitions, they both leave the old FN Browning Safari just North of 2150 fps, my part being done correctly, cant see where either wouldn't handily do theirs. good luck and have fun.

How about a 500 gr. Swift A-Frame? They have a good rep in other calibers, not sure about .458 Win.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been working on a couple of books and can at least see light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully will finish in a year once I have all the historical photos lined up
Just sent the majority of our bear hunters home an hour ago. I had to follow up and finish up another big one with my 458 last week and had chosen to use 500 gr Woodleigh softs. I was again dissatisfied with their penetration on big bears. The four hits I made showed entrance holes you could put your fist in, with lots of blown back fat, but not much penetration! I would have been better off with either TSX, Hornady's or Partitions .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
450 TSX are supposedly in the mail box. Too busy plowing drive and parking and cutting the skidoo trail open to make a trip to the mailbox.

Have 465 hard cast loaded with 3031 to figure out where I'm at in MV range for starters.

IMHO there are very few flies on the Barnes mono bullets these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS can't wait for the books. Well I guess I can actually. LOL

My buddy had 2 bears for his clients 9/11 and 10/2. Seems like it was a good fall for him.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have been working on a couple of books and can at least see light at the end of the tunnel.

Good to know. Thank you.

Guy

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Other than the "overpenetration " , have never heard a bad report of TTSXs.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Riley put a couple LR TXSs in a fair sized bull moose the other day and they were extremely underwhelming. They were up close and personal sort of shots and they came completely apart and penetration was non-existant. That was only 7mm (149gr?) but not close to acceptable and they did terrificly bad meat damage. Not to ever be considered again...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Riley put a couple LR TXSs in a fair sized bull moose the other day and they were extremely underwhelming. They were up close and personal sort of shots and they came completely apart and penetration was non-existant. That was only 7mm (149gr?) but not close to acceptable and they did terrificly bad meat damage. Not to ever be considered again...

The solid copper bullets came apart? Yikes!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Cascade

The solid copper bullets came apart? Yikes!

I think those are softer, designed to open at lower, LR velocities. They may be too soft for the above application, as evidenced by the reported terminal performance. I'd say there were better choices for that scenario.

DF

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
yep, designed to open up at slower speeds. No need in getting a bullet way out there if it won't open up.

7mm comes 139 and 145.

Kind of curious, where did they hit the moose at, IE what bones.

What is definition of coming all apart, I've not seen more than loosing 4 petals and keeping the shank.

Up close and personal I'd have been thinking boink in the head and its all over.

What cartridge? Was thinking you were running a 25-06.

What bullet will you replace it with?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Yikes!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 81 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,309
Posts18,449,150
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.