Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
OK, I ordered myself a S&W M-69 4.25 in. barrel .44 Mag/Spl yesterday. Also ordered a set of dies, brass, and bullets. I would like some suggested loads for it. I will have both 240 gr. coated lead SWC bullets (Missouri Bullet Company) and Hornady 240 gr. XTP JHP bullets. I have on hand both Remington and Federal large pistol primers, Unique, 2400, and Titegroup powders, both .44 Magnum and .44 Special Starline brass. Any proven or published load data would be appreciated. Thanks!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Load your SWC over 8 to 10 grains of Unique in magnum cases, no need for magnum primers. This is the only 44 magnum load I use for everything. I shot a 245gr Keith bullet over 9gr of Unique through a 6’ blackbear on a diagonal from shoulder to groin. Only reason I switched to 10gr was because accuracy was a little better.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You said "ANY PROVEN OR PUBLISHED DATA WOULD BE APPRECIATED." If published data would be appreciated why not look in published data to find some? How would that work?
There is much PUBLISHED data for the 44 Magnum. Would that not be helpful?

Originally Posted by Henryseale
OK, I ordered myself a S&W M-69 4.25 in. barrel .44 Mag/Spl yesterday. Also ordered a set of dies, brass, and bullets. I would like some suggested loads for it. I will have both 240 gr. coated lead SWC bullets (Missouri Bullet Company) and Hornady 240 gr. XTP JHP bullets. I have on hand both Remington and Federal large pistol primers, Unique, 2400, and Titegroup powders, both .44 Magnum and .44 Special Starline brass. Any proven or published load data would be appreciated. Thanks!

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here is load data for 4" barrel you might find useful.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Henry,

I've had real good luck with 24gr of w296 behind a 240gr Nosler HP.
It's been my goto load.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put 8.0 grains of unique behind a 240 swc in the 44, and the same in 41 mag behind a 220 swc.
I think it was approaching 1000 FPS when I chronograph it. Anyway it is a moderate fun load that is good for practice.

Some links:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/44-remington-magnum/

Last edited by Terryk; 09/28/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Henryseale, 220 grain cast semi-wadcutter over 9.0 grains of Unique. Sweet load, very pleasant to shoot, and in my 629.....very accurate! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just a backyard plinker so I shoot Alliant's recommended load of 6.5gr of Unique behind Acme's 240gr SWC in my 4.6" Bisley Flat Top 44spec.

Very accurate and mild mannered.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
After you've used up all your Unique, you might try some Hodgdon's Universal Clays. It's a lot cleaner, and shoots just as well with equivalent powder charges.

Nothing against Unique, but Universal is pretty darned good.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
After you've used up all your Unique, you might try some Hodgdon's Universal Clays. It's a lot cleaner, and shoots just as well with equivalent powder charges.

When I bought my 44 I asked for and got lots of recommendations for different powders...including Unique.

After going to every shop in town Unique was the only one I could find so my decision was easy.

I was warned that it was dirty and it is but it's accurate in my rig, readily available, and priced well around these parts so I don't mind some extra cleaning.

Works good in my 38's too.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
Load your SWC over 8 to 10 grains of Unique in magnum cases, no need for magnum primers. This is the only 44 magnum load I use for everything. I shot a 245gr Keith bullet over 9gr of Unique through a 6’ blackbear on a diagonal from shoulder to groin. Only reason I switched to 10gr was because accuracy was a little better.

Hard to beat!

My go too load is a 250 gr WFN LBT hard cast bullet over 10 grains of Unique. It slays big ole feral hogs here at the Ranch like Thor’s hammer.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
You said "ANY PROVEN OR PUBLISHED DATA WOULD BE APPRECIATED." If published data would be appreciated why not look in published data to find some? How would that work?

Well Mr. Doofus, I have been unable to locate any PUBLISHED data for using COATED 240 gr. cast bullets. I have seen a fair amount of data for lead uncoated and jacketed and semi-jacketed bullets. I am not sure if the bullet being COATED has any effect on the loading characteristics or not. I would be most appreciated to be enlightened as to where I could find any such PUBLISHED data. That would be most helpful. That is why I asked the question. I looked in the three loading manuals that I have and they do not mention COATED bullets at all. I would gladly buy one that covered this if I knew which one has the needed data.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Thanks for the helpful reply. I do appreciate it!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS. EXACTLY

9.0 gr. Unique and a 245-250 cast bullet.Pleasant to shoot...goes through everything...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dla
Here is load data for 4" barrel you might find useful.

Very interesting. Thanks!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Henry,

I've had real good luck with 24gr of w296 behind a 240gr Nosler HP.
It's been my goto load.

Thanks!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Most people that reload ammo knows to start low and work up. PC'ing wont change pressure enough to bother. That is the reason I posted what I did. You could start low and work up right? Isn't that normal procedure?

Originally Posted by glockdoofus

Well Mr. Doofus, I have been unable to locate any PUBLISHED data for using COATED 240 gr. cast bullets. I have seen a fair amount of data for lead uncoated and jacketed and semi-jacketed bullets. I am not sure if the bullet being COATED has any effect on the loading characteristics or not. I would be most appreciated to be enlightened as to where I could find any such PUBLISHED data. That would be most helpful. That is why I asked the question. I looked in the three loading manuals that I have and they do not mention COATED bullets at all. I would gladly buy one that covered this if I knew which one has the needed data.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Thanks for the helpful reply. I do appreciate it!
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Thanks for the tip. Unique works good, but it sure is dirty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
8 grains of Unique was Elmer Keith’s go to load in 44 special with the old Keith 245 gr .44 SWC cast bullet.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
8 grains of Unique was Elmer Keith’s go to load in 44 special with the old Keith 245 gr .44 SWC cast bullet.

Does it mater that my 240 gr. LSWC Keith style is coated? The coated aspect is what I'm kinda hung up on. It would be great if I could use 8 grains for Specials and 10 for Magnums. Frankly, I don't quite understand why it makes any difference between lead and jacketed bullets if the weights are the same, but according to manuals that I've seen, apparently it does. I contacted Missouri Bullet Company for loading information and they flatly refused to answer anything other than to say they made good bullets. They seemed scarred to death of a lawsuit. I guess these days, I should not blame them, but it is very frustrating. They did refer me to a load data website, but I found that you have to pay to see what they have and there is no guarantee that they even have a listing for the particular bullet in question. I want good performance, but I don't want to screw anything up. Mistakes can be embarrassing as well as expensive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.