J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mossberg pump 410s seem to be pretty popular and I see Walmart carries them

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .410 seems to be a Northern Ontario favourite for ground swiping grouse in the Fall.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most break action 410s are good for a great deal more bolt thrust and pressure than a 458 Win Mag in a Mauser 98, Rem700, Sav110, or Win M70.

I have done the math. I have done the tests. That does not mean a 410 choke likes to see a 400 gr 458 bullet at very high velocity.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The H&R Topper in .410 was the foundation of shooting education for both my brother and myself. Gun is still in the family, near about 65 years old at this point and still in good functioning state. It's primary target these days is iguanas and it hasn't lost an argument yet. And ya, I've killed pigs with it. And doves, quail, ducks, bunnies and squill. A bunch of them.

my first shotgun was a 20guage H&R topper at about age 10, first quail shot with that. foolishly a few years later i traded it in on a 870 16guage wanting more fire power. Always regretted that, which is the reason every time i run across one, if the price is right, i buy it.

I have a number of .410's. I have migrated down from 12guage to .410 for popping dove, etc. Just a lot more fun to me.
one of my favorites belonged to an old woman that had to get rid of her guns moving into a rest home. It is a breakopen single shot .410 that when opened barrel folds over into the bottom of the buttstock. just perfect for the floor of the truck.
it would have been built during the early part of the last century. come to think of it, it did do a squirrel in a couple of years ago.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Here they are thought of as snake guns.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Well, I disagree on the Kids part. Last thing I would do is give a Kidd a .410 and expect them to hit much. A .410 is something to be used by accomplished shooters that know how to shoot.

Dad made this critical and damaging mistake when I was in second grade. He traded in the .32 Colt that he had when he was the town marshal in Varina (yes, that's an r, not a g) to get it. Somehow, it turned me into an acceptably accomplished shooter who took some pheasants with it and found hitting them incredibly easy when I "grew up" and moved on to gauges requiring less skill. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For general snake and rabbit shooting I find the 410 just fine and generally have no problems taking the somewhat tougher squirrels with one. I have one of the cheapie's that Walmart sells, a break open that will fold back to the stock and it is my Grandsons favorite gun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
I always thought the 410 was for those that couldn't hit a squirrel or sitting grouse with a 22.

The 28 gauge is better for wing shooting IMO.

Yep, similar shot charge in a light weight gun that patterns MUCH better yielding better scores ...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a couple but ammo prices make them damn expensive to shoot.

1Minute
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have taken a lot of game with a 410 as large and far away as with bigger gauges

I think 410's should be more popular.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jwp,

Contrary to what a lot of hunters believe, it's easier to kill bigger birds with the .410 than smaller birds. This is because they're bigger targets, which results in more hits from the relatively sparse pattern. This is also why the 28-gauge is even more effective than the .410 on larger birds: The shot charge is only a little bigger than the .410's, but the 28 patterns more evenly--with less shot-stringing, so more of the shot arrive at the same time.

At the other end, the 28 works better than the .410 on smaller birds, where more pattern density is desirable. It's also why 28-gauge averages on skeet (pretty small targets) are significantly higher than .410 averages, despite the relatively short range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don't deny that a nicely conditioned vintage Harrington & Richardson single-shot in 28 gauge has much allure. Nope, I wouldn't deny that at all.

Edit: same comment for a Savage M220.

Last edited by Nostalgiafan; 09/29/19. Reason: additional thought
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nostalgiafan
I don't deny that a nicely conditioned vintage Harrington & Richardson single-shot in 28 gauge has much allure. Nope, I wouldn't deny that at all.

Edit: same comment for a Savage M220.

H&R 28g was exactly what I grew up with. Used mostly on doves. ( And also had a Savage 219 30-30. )

I haven't seen a 28 gauge single for sale for many years.

But lots of 410's.

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 09/29/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Skeet averages define the inefficiency of the .410. A fragile close target and it can’t keep up.

Of course Wayne Mays ran 200 .410 100 birds straights with the .410. However, out of 1000xXXXX rounds to keep it in perspective. Few will ever equal it. Which more or less proves the .410 on flying game is something best left to very accomplished shotgunners. Kids starting out?

Last edited by battue; 09/29/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by battue
Word is TTS changes their capabilities significantly.

This would be an interesting proposition.

One woman I shot with in Mexico used a 410 Superposed and her bird to shell ratio was far better than mine. The men would defer to her and all close birds were hers. Just about ideal when you can pick your shots and the number of birds is irrelevant.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think they’re popular around here because lots of old timers had one growing up that they used to shoot rabbits, squirrels, and quail on the ground. Back in the late 20’s through the late 40’s around here lots of poor folks foraged for a living. They usually wanted the cheapest gun that gave them the best odds of bringing something edible home.

My great Gramps was a 4 and 10 man, that’s what he called them anyway, fed 8 kids a zillion rabbits with a Stevens Dreadnaught. When he died I bet he had 12 different single shot 410s in the closet he’d picked up here and there and he hadn’t hunted anything in years. They just reminded him of the old days and he liked them.

My great Grandad on the other hand was a little better off and didn’t want pellets in his rabbits and squirrels. For birds he had a 12 gauge, first a Remington M10 and later a M11 and finally a Ithaca M37. But when rabbits or squirrels were on the menu they were to be shot with a 22. And anywhere but the head was a wasteful place to shoot one. He was even known to shoot ducks off the water with a 22 through the head.

I started with one of Gramps’ 410s and it was a terrible handicap for a small boy. My first two dove seasons I managed one on the wing each year. I had much better luck holding tight until they’d land on the pond bank and ground sluicing them. When I went to a single shot 20 my 3rd year my average skyrocketed almost instantly. When my son is ready in the next year or two I’ll find him a 28 or a 20 with very light loads, I don’t know if he’ll have the stick with it that I did if he’s not getting any results and I want to bolster his odds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best friend’s Dad growing up hunted with a Winchester Model 42 Pump in .410.
Bird limit on doves back then was 10. Every time we went out, he’d kill 10 doves with 10 shots. Every time.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most adults I have known that use a 410, are sure to tell
everyone that they use a 410. I always figured that was the reason for using it.

One old guy that ran the shotgun ranges near
Huntingdon used a Browning skeet gun with his 410 barrels all the time.
And he was extremely good with it at skeet.
A machine really, he barely moved the gun, just called and broke birds,

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The reference to a grandfather above reminded me my grandfather used to always refer to the .410 as the, "four-hundred and ten."

Fun memory. I hadn't thought of that in a long time.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve kinda always wondered the same thing Moosemike. Remember going to a gun auction a few years back that had a bunch of .410s and it seemed that now matter what make or action they were selling for $250-300 (had several Mossberg pumps and every one of those sold for $275 or more - even when you could get new ones for a little over $200??). I’m a .28 gauge junkie and use a 1905 H&R single shot quite often these days for birds - bird numbers are way down in PA and don’t like the weight anymore so this improved cylinder choked 4.5lb gun comes in handy when I take the setter for a walk😄

PennDog

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,914 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,444
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.