Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nostalgiafan
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Most adults I have known that use a 410, are sure to tell
everyone that they use a 410. I always figured that was the reason for using it.

Ah, the 410 Creedmoor.

Well it's sure no .270!

Oops.

Sorry.

Actually I have nothing against the .270. I just lapsed into a moment of group think.

It's what we do!!! LOL

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Huntz
The price on store bought .410 shells is ridiculous.

That's why God gave us MEC.

Well, that and the need to scatter shot all over the floor when you get out of sync.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Huntz
The price on store bought .410 shells is ridiculous.

That's why God gave us MEC.

Well, that and the need to scatter shot all over the floor when you get out of sync.

I've owned (and still do) several MEC reloaders…..and the spilling of shot is definitely not the fault of the product.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
My brother shot a Buck with a 410 slug when he was 12. It was close enough that he saw fur fly on impact but they never had blood and didn't recover it. Claims he had a behind the shoulder hit.

I've taken several bucks with foster slugs in a smoothbore .410. Savage model 24. There was no doubt about the damage. Last buck was dead inside of 20 yards.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Skeet averages define the inefficiency of the .410. A fragile close target and it can’t keep up.

Of course Wayne Mayes ran 200 .410 100 birds straights with the .410. However, out of 1000xXXXX rounds to keep it in perspective. Few will ever equal it. Which more or less proves the .410 on flying game is something best left to very accomplished shotgunners. Kids starting out?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feels good in the hand. Fun to look at. I prefer a 28 for hunting though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is why I eventually sold all my .410's. The 28-gauge fills the same niche--low-recoiling, lightweight shotguns--with noticeably more versatility, especially at ranges over 25 yards. I hunt upland birds in both thick cover and wide-open country, often in the same day, and the 28 works better, because it patterns more evenly and, on passing shots, the shot doesn't arrive in a long string but a tight swarm.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While many consider the 410 a kids gun, I have learned it is more of a show offs gun.
Which might explain its allure .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I grew up in East Texas. .410's were "squirrel guns" for a lot of "old timers", and .410's shooting slugs were what armed a lot of youngsters on deer stands. The only thing I've ever owned and used that shot .410 ammo was a Contender .45/410.

Mike Holmes

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Well, I disagree on the Kids part. Last thing I would do is give a Kidd a .410 and expect them to hit much. A .410 is something to be used by accomplished shooters that know how to shoot.

I disagree with you..... I learned to shoot with a .410 break-neck. Yeah, I missed a lot, but after learning to shoot and kill things with that gun, it was easy once I graduated to a 12 gauge. It also made me learn to hunt.... had to get closer to kill things. Taught me be patient, learned through trial and error how to stalk, how to judge distance, etc. All in all, I think it made me a better hunter. Teaching a kid how to kill a deer at 100 yds or more with a rifle, doesn't teach them much. Teaching them how to kill a deer at 25 yds or less with a shotgun requires a lot more skill. I'm not saying a shotgun wont kill game at distances beyond 25 yds, but if you kill a deer at that range, you did several things right.

+1

One of the founding principles of teaching a skill, for Kids or adults, is you start with easily accomplished goals and give them the tools to learn and succeed. When it comes to shotguns, a .410 is not the first tool to place in their hands.

I’ll throw targets for you two at 25 yards, and you use the .410 shotguns mentioned. It would be interesting to see exactly what you learned. Now you don’t get to sneak up on them. You don’t get to shoot them sitting in the box.

The fact you can kill a Deer with a .410, has little to do with giving a novice the best tool for success, when you start them on the path of becoming an accomplished Deer hunter.

Last edited by battue; 10/02/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A .410 is very handy around the farm. I've killed many things over the years with them. Most animals you only need a few pellets to do the trick. #4 is #4 whether it comes from a 12ga or a .410. I've got two .410s and would never part with them, although I'd like to add a nice O/U in 28ga for bird hunting.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
While many consider the 410 a kids gun, I have learned it is more of a show offs gun.
Which might explain its allure .

Yep, folks are pretty impressed when I use one on an armadillo or skunk out the back door. Sometimes I even open the screen first.
I did start out as a kid with a .410. If I remember right, it was the first gun I ever had. It was also my Dads first gun. My grandparents paid me a bounty on every rabbit I shot out of the garden and every snake around the hen house. Made enough to keep buying shells. As a kid growing up on a farm in a target rich environment, it was safer than a 22 and probably more effective. But, I was pretty much a show off even as a snot nosed kid, so I guess it fit. Spent much of my other shooting with my grandpa's 12ga and a bunch of 16ga slugs. The slugs would fire, but with a lot of gas escaping so the slug was slow enough to see, like a fast BB gun. Have to use a rod to knock out the split shell after each shot. The good ole days of unsupervised kids and guns.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've a couple or three over the years. Never hunted with any of them, preferring the 20ga for wingshooting and a 22 for wabbits.

Always easy to flip/sell.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of people on here have use for the 410 I see. I have yet to hear anything that wouldn't be handled as well or better by a 28 gauge though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most people on here had use....

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought a cheap yildiz 410 for my 7 year old, cut the stock down and put on a limbsaver. It's a lot of fun, even let him try hitting clays with it. Wish shells were cheaper. Good buddy bought the 28ga ou yildiz from academy, he's put over 2000 rounds through it without a hiccup. He uses it on everything other than ducks.

Last edited by killerv; 10/02/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Well, I disagree on the Kids part. Last thing I would do is give a Kidd a .410 and expect them to hit much. A .410 is something to be used by accomplished shooters that know how to shoot.

I disagree with you..... I learned to shoot with a .410 break-neck. Yeah, I missed a lot, but after learning to shoot and kill things with that gun, it was easy once I graduated to a 12 gauge. It also made me learn to hunt.... had to get closer to kill things. Taught me be patient, learned through trial and error how to stalk, how to judge distance, etc. All in all, I think it made me a better hunter. Teaching a kid how to kill a deer at 100 yds or more with a rifle, doesn't teach them much. Teaching them how to kill a deer at 25 yds or less with a shotgun requires a lot more skill. I'm not saying a shotgun wont kill game at distances beyond 25 yds, but if you kill a deer at that range, you did several things right.

+1

One of the founding principles of teaching a skill, for Kids or adults, is you start with easily accomplished goals and give them the tools to learn and succeed. When it comes to shotguns, a .410 is not the first tool to place in their hands.

I’ll throw targets for you two at 25 yards, and you use the .410 shotguns mentioned. It would be interesting to see exactly what you learned. Now you don’t get to sneak up on them. You don’t get to shoot them sitting in the box.

The fact you can kill a Deer with a .410, has little to do with giving a novice the best tool for success, when you start them on the path of becoming an accomplished Deer hunter.

Never said that a .410 was the best shotgun..... said that I believed that learning to hunt while having to use a .410 me a better hunter.

If you want to wear your arm out throwing targets at 25 yds, that's your business. I'll shoot as long as you'll throw.

I agree that the .410 is not the best tool for successful deer hunting. I can think of a lot of guns that would be better..... what would you suggest you give to a 10 yr old? 1 gun to hunt deer, squirrels, doves, and quail. Kinda puts a different perspective on it, doesn't it? Especially when you have to buy your own shells. I think Dad knew what he was doing..... cheapest shotgun shells, learn to shoot, learn to hunt, one shot, no bang-bang-bang!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As mentioned, disagree on the learning and it making you a better hunter.

It wouldn't take long before the misses would have you quitting.

My perspective doesn't change, in that for a one gun battery I would come up with something other than the .410. Dad started me with and old SxS 12Ga something that reliably worked and a German 98 8mm, that he worked out a stock for. Got two bangs max out of the shotgun and 3 or 4 out of the 98. We didn't sneak up on much other than Squirrels. Rabbits were taken on the run and Pheasants on the fly-who would have thunk, that could be any kind of learning curve grin- behind a neighbors pack of Beagles. Deer were everywhere at the time and the 98 was an excellent option for sneaking up on them. Although the truth was it wasn't all that hard, because practice was easy, repetitive and frequently successful. All three being basic to learning.

To answer your question: A beater Ithaca 37 16gauge.

Last edited by battue; 10/02/19.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was told along time ago that the 410 was for expert shooters and tend to believe it. My ex BIL was one of the best shooting son of a gun with a shotgun. He'd take his 410 and put many a hunter to shame when we'd go hunting and they'd make fun of his pea shooter!

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If one has a good reloader, he can make 3/4 OZ loads for the 20 Ga and my loading manual also shows 5/8 OZ loads at 1,200 PFS....this makes for some low recoil loads for youngsters learning to shoot.....that said, I believe hearing protection is even more helpful in learning to shoot than low recoil. The even better thing about the 20 gas is it's ability to handle up to 1.25 OZ loads in 3" chamberings. If there is such a thing as a "Kids" gun, it's the 20 Ga....so where does the .410 fit in?....to me it's weight and some youngsters are better served with that feature than fire power.

Yes, I know there are some very lightweight 20s but the .410 just seems to handle better and is even lighter if you want to pay for that feature. 410 ammo is more easily found than 28 ga ammo as well....most places that sell ammo have a few boxes of 410 on the shelf.....both 2 1/2 " and 3".

I have started a couple youngsters with a Mossberg 500 pump youth model in 410 and both eventually graduated to the 20 as they grew out of the youth dimension stocks.....I really don't believe it was a mistake.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 69 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.