Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I haven’t read many of the comments made here relative to the 410; but here’s my indirect experience with it. I hunted Doves and Quail for many years with a gentleman who used it exclusively. He always seemed to bag the most birds.
But my fondest memories of seeing it’s use were in Montana during the early (September) bird season. My partner was a great guy who had been severely wounded on Iwo Jima in WWII. His model 41 seemed to be radar controlled. Jack rarely missed! Never used one myself but in the hands of an expert...

BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use one almost exclusively for quail hunting with a friend of mine. We have very few wild quail here. All the birds we shoot are pen raised. He has good dogs and we can spread the birds over a lot of acreage to make it enjoyable.

Why do I use one? Because he gave me a very nice side by side in 410 and I found I enjoyed using it. Most of our shots are within 25 yards, and I have no issue using it vs a 20g. Even killed chukar with it many times without issue.

Pheasant, definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I have shot and dropped them, but most of the time they get up and run. So I carry the 20g when pheasant are out also. I also would have never considered it when I still grouse hunted.

Do I use it because I feel I’m a expert, or for nostalgia? Nope. I just tried the gun and liked/shot well with it

My 9 year old used it this year for the first time to shoot at some clays. I hand threw them and made them easy. Took a minute but he finally started to hit some. He can’t handle a 20 yet. As soon as he can that’s what he is going to

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my country, Spain, I see a comeback of the 20ga. and 28ga. shotguns. You even see the occasional .410... and I admit I like this trend towards smaller, more sportive guns and the idea of a self imposed limit.

On the contrary, on my mountain hunts I see more and more marksmen -unnnecesarily- shooting animals from two mountains away with an unaesthetical, futuristic looking, shooting rig.

I am not trying to offend anybody, it is just that find it curious.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The 410 ammo is the most expensive for any shotgun cal. (gauge) and the most difficult to hit anything with. Not good for kids to start with if they want to hit anything, although very little recoil. Even for very good competition shooters, the 410 can be very humbling. A lot of competition shooters that have to shoot the 410 use Briley or Kolar tube sets that are fitted for their 12 ga guns, so the weight and balance is the same for all gauges. Reloading for the 410 is also somewhat difficult and expensive due to the size and slender shape of the hulls. I too enjoy shooting the 410 once and a while in skeet or sporting clays, but if I go hunting the 410 stays home.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I noticed that the local SW has 410 bismuth #4's in stock. A friend of mine is a member of a duck club and a member there regularly uses a 28GA for ducks. He is thinking about using a 410 and the members are not very happy with this. Their concern is that he will be crippling too many birds. While I am tempted to buy a couple of boxes of 410 bismuth just to try it I will refrain from doing so and stick to my 20 GA duck gun. If I wing a clay target it does not fly away and suffer.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
kids are small ,kids have small skinny little arms at a early age around 8 years of age. i started with a 410 ,my son started with a 410 and my grandson will too. yes a 410 might be better in the hands of a expert but when your young and little recoil can be nasty but if kids can go with and you let them take the easier shots . >you will never beat the smile from a young little hunter when he or she shoots their first bird , squirrel or breaks that clay pigeon.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
kids are small ,kids have small skinny little arms at a early age around 8 years of age. i started with a 410 ,my son started with a 410 and my grandson will too. yes a 410 might be better in the hands of a expert but when your young and little recoil can be nasty but if kids can go with and you let them take the easier shots . >you will never beat the smile from a young little hunter when he or she shoots their first bird , squirrel or breaks that clay pigeon.

Very well said....but be sure to have their ears stuffed.....I can't stress enough the effects of noise.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I use one almost exclusively for quail hunting with a friend of mine. We have very few wild quail here. All the birds we shoot are pen raised. He has good dogs and we can spread the birds over a lot of acreage to make it enjoyable.

Why do I use one? Because he gave me a very nice side by side in 410 and I found I enjoyed using it. Most of our shots are within 25 yards, and I have no issue using it vs a 20g. Even killed chukar with it many times without issue.

Pheasant, definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I have shot and dropped them, but most of the time they get up and run. So I carry the 20g when pheasant are out also. I also would have never considered it when I still grouse hunted.

Do I use it because I feel I’m a expert, or for nostalgia? Nope. I just tried the gun and liked/shot well with it

My 9 year old used it this year for the first time to shoot at some clays. I hand threw them and made them easy. Took a minute but he finally started to hit some. He can’t handle a 20 yet. As soon as he can that’s what he is going to

I killed one Pheasant (in flight) with a 410 just to say I did it. Then I happily went back to my 12 gauges where I still remain today.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

If Tom Roster thinks that you can fire a round at 50,000 PSI when its maximum pressure is listed as 11,500, he is full of it.

If that were true, rifle manufacturers would not bother with rotating rifle bolts and locking lugs. They would not make rifle barrels thicker at the breech than shotgun barrels. And rifle brass would not have thick brass bases that taper to the mouth.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Roster didn't say or advocate you could or should use shotgun shells loaded to 50,000 psi. His article said he tested an 870 barrel to destruction and it took 55,000 psi to blow it apart. He also stated in the article that it was unwise to use even mildly over pressure loads.

His words,

"However, keep in mind that mildly excessive reload pressures are continuously stressing the gun and contribute to high recoil levels. This in turn tends to eventually crack wood and begin to break little parts within the action and trigger group. So, it is never wise or safe – and nothing positive is ever accomplished – by firing modestly excessive pressure loads in any shotgun."

Last edited by mart; 10/06/19.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
210 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.