-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone outside of Idaho still running a turkey-shît green Kenmore fridge?

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord

What? Were ya saving that one in your ditch?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had several salesmen tell us 7 years is the average major appliance life.
While looking me in the eye, and not at his shoes.

Consider, as some have posted, there are many fools that change appliances more often.
Just like cars, you don't build for the guy at the end of the products life, you build for
the guy who buys new, off you.

Also, in 1950-60, when Pap got electricity, city cousins had owned refrigerators for
twenty years. If Cousin Hilda had a GE go toes up in 10 years, "We ain't buying no GE".

But today there is a very limited market for first time refrigerator sales. It's people
replacing appliances. Other than the Jones chasers, if these things lasted 30-50 years,
They wouldn't sell very many. We have bought two in 25 years. If they didn't fail, we would
never buy again.

We own old Maytag laundry stuff. I fix it when it breaks. 25 years old,
I have put about $200 in it. New would cost $2k, and wear out before this stuff will.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
My refrigerator is a Maytag.

We are about the same age.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I had one once. It had been professionally repainted in almond, but you could see the turkey-[bleep] green on the back where they did not worry about completely covering it up. I purchased it for $250 from someone who was moving out of state. It still had a paper sticker inside the door describing how to replace a charcoal filter. The sticker had a Kenmore customer service phone number on it. I called the number to ask when that model was made and I was shocked when they told me early to mid 70’s. That’s when I got to looking closer and realized it was originally painted olive green. It was a side by side that was probably top of the line when new. It served me well for about 14 years. Not bad for $250.

The only major appliances I have purchased new were two freezers and both of them were junk. The current refrigerator in my kitchen is a basic Kenmore that was 10 years old when I acquired it through a friend for $25.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wish I had a turkey schit green fridge.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
I wish I had a turkey schit green fridge.

I do have a green coffee maker though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by savage24

I had one once. It had been professionally repainted in almond, but you could see the turkey-[bleep] green on the back where they did not worry about completely covering it up. I purchased it for $250 from someone who was moving out of state. It still had a paper sticker inside the door describing how to replace a charcoal filter. The sticker had a Kenmore customer service phone number on it. I called the number to ask when that model was made and I was shocked when they told me early to mid 70’s. That’s when I got to looking closer and realized it was originally painted olive green. It was a side by side that was probably top of the line when new. It served me well for about 14 years. Not bad for $250.

The only major appliances I have purchased new were two freezers and both of them were junk. The current refrigerator in my kitchen is a basic Kenmore that was 10 years old when I acquired it through a friend for $25.

Heck ya!!!

😄😄

We had the baby-shît diarrhea yellow Kenmore washer we got when my grandmother hit the nursing home. It was about a 1980 model, it quit about 6 years ago

👍👍

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2 years ago a gave away a mid 1970s General Electric chest freezer. It still worked like a top. Just got tired of defrosting it. Man at my church came and took off my hands.

Thing was about 8ft long, don't know the cubic ft but I'd almost swear I'd could get 1/3 cord of wood into.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
We’ve got a referigator at our shop made in he 60s the seal is so good the handle snapped off 30 yrs ago and a flat blade screw driver has beeen laying on top to pry it open ever since

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Just helped my neighbors son move his Sears chest freezer last month. Had the owners manual and receipt —March of 68.
He has in his garage now running...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are cool, but the brand name is highly suspect:

SMEG

If I was in need of a new refrigerator, there's no way in hell I'd get a new one. New appliances, especially refrigerators, suck. I'd look for a used Sub Zero or possibly an older GE Profile. I bought a GE Profile in 2009 and it's still working great. The only problem with it was that everyone would use the inner door shelf clear plastic to close the door and 3 of them cracked up badly. I replaced the plastic about 6 or 7 years ago with 1/2" flat aluminum bowed slats (2 on each shelf) fastened with stainless steel screws. Still holding up nicely, though, my ex got the frige in the divorce.

Washers and dryers, I'd look for Asko or Miele - used. Gas range - a used Wolf. Lots of people move and don't want to take their perfectly serviceable appliances with them.

Last edited by High_Noon; 09/28/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GE got out of the appliance business. Quality control was eating their lunch.

I like Samsung. I remodeled the kitchen in 2009, bought all Samsung stuff except for a Bosch dishwasher and its lasted so far. But I also know that there is no shortage of people that have had trouble with Samsung

The bottom line is with appliances, if you are buying a new retail model from a big box store (or even local dealer) and not a high end brand like Sub Zero, your going to get a wide range of responses from people

One person will swear by Maytag, another will swear at them, same with GE, LG, Samsung, etc.,

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.