Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Time for a new hunting pack. This for day hunts that means leaving the truck before first light and coming back in the dark. Gotta pack food, water, be able to stow or lash down an extra layer like a puffy vest or similar clothing, maybe carry an e-caller for predator hunting. This for deer, hog, predator hunting, scouting trips and in general hiking and exploring new ground. I gutless debone and quarter deer, might take the backstraps off an eating size pig, a big hog skull with good cutters for a Euro mount, or pack a bobcat or coyote hide out. I have an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe that stays in the truck as a dedicated meat pack. I also have an Eberlestock X2 that I use occasionally because it has the capability of taking a first load out while deer hunting. For more general use I have been using a lumbar style pack from Cabela's for years now. It is getting pretty ratty. It is also a bit small for packing an e-caller and all my necessary gear on all day long treks through the timber while predator hunting. I do like the lumbar style pack for day hunting.

At first I thought of a Tenzing 1250. Then the Blacks Creek Cure caught my eye. Now the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 is on the radar. Any of y'all have any experience with any of those three or have an alternative for me to look at? Appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used a Kifaru Daystalker for several years. Nice lumbar pack, but discontinued

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank's Don. That just put the Kifaru Hellcat pack on the list. It is a good candidate for my consideration.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have not used those packs but I think you are on the right track. The belt only style packs just can't carry much. I had a believe a Jan Sport convertible pack that would expand from a lumbar pack to a conventional pack and it was a good option if bulky extra clothes were needed.

Here is an inexpensive option that looks like it would cover most of your needs. https://hornhunterpacks.com/product/typical-7-pocket-fanny-pack/ I like these more minimal fanny packs that don't have bulky side pockets that get in the way of a rifle or pistol. I don't see an option for adding pockets but bulky jackets and things could go above the pack. I like the simpler packs as too many pockets can make it harder to find stuff and then I never empty them and keep adding things until full. At the end of the season I find all sorts of things like really dry sausage, year old granola bars a stash, of dead batteries and cartridges. The Horn Hunter is inexpensive enough you could get a second larger one for winter time hunts.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If you’re going to put meat into it the MR Popup 18 kind of stands alone. It’s a really solid lumbar pack, that carries pretty big loads when the frame is extended much better than it should.

First day I had it. Used it to shoot off of-
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then carry out whole, ungutted for around two miles.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why didja pack a ungutted whitetail for 2 miles?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A couple of reasons. The biggest is that I’m not dragging a deer two miles, and cleaning would be easier at the truck with water anyways. The other is pack was under evaluation and I needed to find the upper limit with it. Stitching did pop on one of the vertical stays, with MR modifying to correct.

70-80 lbs is really the comfort limit. It carries much more obviously, but comfort starts going somewhere above that.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good information Formidilosus! Thank's for the pictures and review. The Mystery Ranch is clearly more versatile than the Kifaru. The MR is a heavier pack but you don't get something for nothing so that's to be expected.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One that I'd recommend to avoid is the Browning BIlly 1500.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I looked at those. What did you not like about the Billy 1500?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I looked at those. What did you not like about the Billy 1500?

Almost everything. I have a long torso and couldn't find a comfortable harness adjustment.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Browning pack doesn't seem to get good reviews. Pretty sure I'm going with the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The MR Pop Up 18 will be a really good option for what you're looking for, although you originally stated you were looking for a lumbar pack. I have the Pop Up 28 and use it for the same criteria you stated. It's about perfect, if that could be said about any pack. Same frame and harness as the 18, just a bit larger bag. Good luck with your decision.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You don't consider the MR Pop Up 18 a lumbar type pack? I realize it has a frame, but any of the lumbar style with shoulder straps cover about the same amount of real estate on the backside, right? Or am I thinking of it wrong...?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Blacks Creek - this one I think.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2908158791

Its for sale............. <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have and use several lumbar packs. The one thing I don't like is that they are a little strappy since it uses a strap or straps down the back to support the bag. I find that they can be harder to manage than on a daypack. I have a smaller Cabelas lumbar pack that I use to walk to blinds and treestands and a Tenzing 1250 I used for walk in hunts for a few years. I went back to a daypack , a Badlands 2800 that I liked and used up to this year where I might need meat hauling capabilities so I went with a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I looked at the MR Pop-ups but I didn't see what they really did for me the Sawtooth wouldn't plus I try and limit moving parts in my equipment where I can.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just used a Kifaru Reckoning on a Lite frame with 70 pounds.

Best pack I’ve ever used.

But they aren’t cheap...

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 30 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.