Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Walker6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I need better headlights. I have an ‘05 Excursion and the headlights suck. I’m prepared to add LED fog/driving lights, but want to know if anyone here has found aftermarket headlights for an excursion or 99-07 super duty that are on par with the current oem offerings. I don’t care what it costs within reason - just want to be able to see.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are your current lenses faded/yellowed? Are you wanting the entire housing or just new bulbs?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Walker6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
They could probably benefit from a cleaning, but are not too bad.

I’m open to whatever. I’m skeptical that a set of LED bulbs for $99 off Amazon is going to be the answer to my problems, though.

Most stuff I’ve seen seems geared towards “style”. I’m not interested in looking cool. I don’t want blue or any fancy colors. Just pure bright white light. I rode in a buddies wife’s Lexus SUV the other day and was like holy smokes I can see.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Badger seems to be the King of Lumens.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
LED's or HID bulbs will get you more light, but it MAY also be scattered in every direction. Another route you might consider is an upgraded headlight harness. The upgraded wires bring much more current flow to your existing headlight bulbs, giving you more light on the road. The upgrade harness uses your stock headlight bulbs and headlight housings.

If you look at a newer vehicle, you'll see they use a projector to focus the light pattern on the road. As far as I'm concerned, the best headlight you can get for an Excursion is one that has been modified by adding a high quality projector.

There's a guy that does these modifications over on the Ford Truck forum. You'll have to join that forum in order to contact him if that's the route you decide to go. Check out his forum posts with photos.

Click Here

Click Here

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/headlight-conversion-kits/ford/super-duty-non-sealed-beam/2005

This is your huckleberry. Quality products that work. Yes, more expensive than eBay crap, but you won’t be blinding oncoming traffic and you’ll be able to see where you’re going.

There are also other options, auxiliary light add ons, etc. but if you simply want stock looks, and better light performance, this is the way to go.

Last edited by badger; 09/29/19.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
On my 2015, I replaced the headlights with the Peak LED Bulbs from The Retrofit Source. Then replaced the foglights with Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED Amber lights. Very pleased with this upgrade.

W
Walker6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Sounds like Walt’s guy over on the ford truck forum uses a lot of same/similar parts as in Badger’s link and then sticks it all in a new aftermarket headlight assembly. If I’m reading it all right. Looks like the retrofit upgrade is the way to go. Thanks, fellas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My '07 has sealed beams, so YMMV. I went with Retro Solutions well over a year ago and their LED upgrades have been excellent. I think they were around $200 and were plug--n-play. Wish I would have done it years earlier.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to try an LED that won't break the bank look for some Beamtech LED bulbs. I have them in my Polaris Ranger and they are great. My son liked them so much he switched is higher priced LEDs over to Beamtech and had a lot better luck. I honestly think they are about $50 for them on Ebay. I did my due diligence and they were one of I think two bulbs readily available on Ebay that people recommended.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Do you have them in an on-road vehicle? My experience with just swapping bulbs was (as mentioned above) that the LEDs put out more light, but it is in every direction and oncoming traffic is not a fan.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
While you are at it.. I'd replace your backup lights. While doing the headlight and foglight upgrades on the Ford and 4Runner, I decided should upgrade the backup lights as well. Worthwhile improvement but probably need to add some auxiliary lighting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Self darkening mirrors are a major PITA on rainy or foggy nights. Replaced the OEM backup light bulbs on my truck long ago, with LED bulbs. Amounted to about a 10% improvement. Should've just bit the bullet and installed some LED lights on the headache rack. They'd also come in handy for discouraging tailgaters, unless an overly righteous cop happened to be around?.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Walker6
I need better headlights. I have an ‘05 Excursion and the headlights suck. I’m prepared to add LED fog/driving lights, but want to know if anyone here has found aftermarket headlights for an excursion or 99-07 super duty that are on par with the current oem offerings. I don’t care what it costs within reason - just want to be able to see.

Are you against OEM replacement headlight housing?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Walker6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
15 month update. I ended up going with the headlight kit from Walt501’s guy over on the ford truck forum. He sent me new focused-beam housings, new HID bulbs, wiring, etc. The result is bright light with a sharp cut off when using low beam. Lights up the whole world on high beam. I think I paid the guy $425-ish for the DIY kit. I’m a happy camper. I don’t know the guy but I would highly recommend his system. Here’s his email:

t.rojo at yahoo dot com.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful campfire replies, as usual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the update on this.

I need to take the plunge myself.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good update info on problem child of the ford's. I'm not sure why they can't seem to get the headlights figured out on the damn trucks.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
that's something on my wish list for my 01 super duty. That along with upgrading my mirrors. Things to do, things to do..

thanks for the update

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
TR, I put '08 mirrors and ebay headlights on my '99 after hitting some deer. Big improvement.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
those headlights have LED bulbs I assume? Mucho better then OEM?

Yep, those mirrors look like just what I have in mind also.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.