Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A while back I decided to acquire a scope with a reputation as being bulletproof and bought this 20x Super Sniper off a guy on another forum. The purpose of it all was to verify a rifle's true accuracy potential in order to be able to detect any performance degradation in any of my junky old Leupolds.

I was using the SS on my Swift (normally fitted with a VX-3 6.5-20x) yesterday, and this happened:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm pretty sure SWFA will take care of me, but I'm not real pleased. Bulletproof? I guess, not so much...I find the situation to be somewhat ironic.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oooooopsie!!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Blasphemy crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What happened?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What happened?

Dare I say it...shoulda bought a Leupold.

smile

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The forkin thing fell off. I was opening the bolt after a shot and there was some contact with the elevation turret, but it's not like I was holding the rifle steady by the turret. It just popped right off. It looks to me like the threads in the turret housing are stripped or failed.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
What happened?

smile

What happened, as in....did the rifle fall onto the concrete, scope first, and the turret was knocked off, or did the turret come off in his hand while dialling it? It makes a difference wink

Of course all scopes have a given rate of failure, SWFA fixed powers just have a much lower rate than most.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The forkin thing fell off. I was opening the bolt after a shot and there was some contact with the elevation turret, but it's not like I was holding the rifle steady by the turret. It just popped right off. It looks to me like the threads in the turret housing are stripped or failed.

Thanks for clarifying. That sucks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I know. What gets me is the irony of the whole thing, given the reason I bought it in the first place. The rifle wasn't shooting very well at all, and maybe the bulletproof scope was the reason.

I guess it just had to be me.
shocked

Don't be the darkness.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It happens...one of the first things I learnt in life was 'when everything is going well that is the time to look behind you to see what is going to bite you on the arse'.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Another way of saying it is "the odds of disaster increase each day that nothing goes wrong."

Don't be the darkness.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's bullet proof, not you proof! Chit!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Previous owner.
Unknown abuse or accident ?

lease keep us posted as to what SWFA says or does in this matter.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe so, but I dunno why the previous owner might have removed the turret. We'll see what SWFA's response is.

Don't be the darkness.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I do gotta laugh, as this is more common than what’s reported, according to texts/pm’s, but folks don’t wanna hear from the 24 hcf quality control know it all police.... 🤣🤣

Carry on...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m no fan-boy but, who knows what the previous owner(s) did to this scope.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How about some high resolution close ups while you’ve got this one apart. It’d be happy to post/host the images, just PM me for an email address.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston

Was this ‘boomers beta scope for the mod? grin

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
OP,

I’ve seen it a couple of times. Each time the person spun the turret to the end of travel and continued cranking- once with a pair of pliers.

Is it a SWFA or Tasco version?

Originally Posted by Judman
I do gotta laugh, as this is more common than what’s reported, according to texts/pm’s, but folks don’t wanna hear from the 24 hcf quality control know it all police.... 🤣🤣

Carry on...

Yep it is more common than is reported.... about 5% of SWFA fixed powers have an issue inside of 10,000 rounds. Versus nearly 100% of Leupolds and Vortex’s.

So what is it that drives you to say and do the above? Is it that you doubt the people who see dozens to hundreds of scopes a year get shot, tested, and used are being honest? Is it that you doubt that those people see that amount of use?
There is no one that has said SWFA SS scopes have a 0% failure rate. Every item has a failure rate. Some items have low enough rates as to be almost surprising. Some have enough failures that it is expected quickly.

It isn’t about shooting a deer at 60 yards. Hell a $100 POS muzzle loader from Walmart and a BSA scope will do that. So all bs aside, how many SWFA SS and Nightforce scopes have you used, and how much use on those scopes?

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Bought some used scopes before. Never again. Like my brother told me about a used truck one time. He ain’t selling it because he’s in love with the SOB. Ed k

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
OP,

I’ve seen it a couple of times. Each time the person spun the turret to the end of travel and continued cranking- once with a pair of pliers.

Is it a SWFA or Tasco version?

Originally Posted by Judman

Carry on...

Yep it is more common than is reported.... about 5% of SWFA fixed powers have an issue inside of 10,000 rounds. Versus nearly 100% of Leupolds and Vortex’s.

So what is it that drives you to say and do the above? Is it that you doubt the people who see dozens to hundreds of scopes a year get shot, tested, and used are being honest? Is it that you doubt that those people see that amount of use?
There is no one that has said SWFA SS scopes have a 0% failure rate. Every item has a failure rate. Some items have low enough rates as to be almost surprising. Some have enough failures that it is expected quickly.

It isn’t about shooting a deer at 60 yards. Hell a $100 POS muzzle loader from Walmart and a BSA scope will do that. So all bs aside, how many SWFA SS and Nightforce scopes have you used, and how much use on those scopes?

As posted, it's more common than reported, some folks don't wanna talk about it, as said, due to "the elite " questioning, wanting pics etc, due to the drama surrounded by "failures" .... This is the www, folks lie, folks black their faces out on pics, and some experts ain't who they really think are.... Maybe some folks are a plug for a optics company with a motive... Who knows??? It does appear everyone's "failure" rate is quite different from each others, and folks are emotionally attached to optics....

Again, carry on....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about some high resolution close ups while you’ve got this one apart.

+1 on the close up photos. Hoping that RiverRider can indulge us. Views of the thread engagement areas would be awesome.

Jason

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m sure they will repair it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Was this ‘boomers beta scope for the mod? grin

Hey, I resemble that incinerator! laugh

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hmmm, various opinions .... I'll bet my $259 on a SWFA FF any day! 5% vs 100%, that's easy money right there.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

+1 on the close up photos. Hoping that RiverRider can indulge us. Views of the thread engagement areas would be awesome.

Jason

I'd indulge, but I doubt my photography skills would reveal much. I will say that it looks to me like the threads in the turret housing are not in great condition. Could be due to assembly errors in the factory of someone diddling with it...I have no way of knowing.

Don't be the darkness.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hells bells, I could break an anvil w/ a rubber hammer. That is why I am trying the SWFA 3-9 HD. So far so good, I will check back in April after a year of abuse. I hope it survives because I really like it, and NFs are really pricey.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have those junkie Leupolds that break all the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd indulge, but I doubt my photography skills would reveal much. I will say that it looks to me like the threads in the turret housing are not in great condition. Could be due to assembly errors in the factory of someone diddling with it...I have no way of knowing.

I'd imagine your photos would be fine. It'd be enlightening to see how many threads are in the saddle area, for example. For fans and naysayers alike.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Jason

I'd be really interested in some more pics as well, maybe showing the internals through that hole, and the bottom side of the turret. No worries on good camera skills, but bonus points if the pics are at least in focus. grin

I don't have any argument one way or another about quality of the scope, just interested in the construction and maybe details on what exactly failed. My career is partly in analyzing broken parts and figuring out why they failed, so this stuff is very interesting to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
Previous owner.
Unknown abuse or accident ?

lease keep us posted as to what SWFA says or does in this matter.

Aside from the pounding this scope would take from a lot of us, and without any quarter, if it was a Leupold. From what you described as the failure, reeks of the previous owner selling you a scope he tortured or abused.

The elevation turret coming off from contact when throwing your bolt, and you confirmed stripped threads, is enough proof that the original owner turned the turret past it’s stop point.

Some sellers will lie their ass off to sell an item...I too bought a barely used, like new SWFA 5-20x50 HD scope from another forum classified. When I got the scope, and finally took the time to thoroughly look it over, I discovered black particles inside the objective glass that were obvious and easy to see. I’m sure the seller knew they were there.

SWFA handled it fast and efficiently, just like Leupold will sometimes do. They shipped me a brand new scope. Your going to end up with a new SWFA...Mount your new glass and continue your test...Good luck to you...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, that's about what I expect. I think the threads in the turret housing were damaged. It's possible that it was an assembly error, but more likely not. I think the previous owner had installed some aftermarket elevation turret and screwed it up himself, but it's possible someone tried to force it beyond its limits. Hard to imagine such stupidity!

The scope should be in SWFA's hands, so I expect to find out something in a week or two. I'll follow up so everyone will know the outcome.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it’s time to put this scope integrity thing to rest...I’ve owed a pile of Leupolds and only had one fail requiring repair...Yes, I got miles behind a scope compared to some members here... I chose to switch to various other optics trying to find a scope that gave quality glass with solid repeatability at a price point that didn’t make my wallet cry or my darling wife bitch.

I bought a lot of scopes. Sig Tango 6....Sig Whiskey 5....Bushnell...
SWFA....S&B....March... Sightron...NF....Zeiss V6-V4 and...

I decided I could rummage around on the web and locate as new or barely used Nightforce and Schmidt-Bender scopes for about the same price I’d paid for my Leupold VX6’s.

As for Leupold, my main complaint has always been the lack of consistent tracking when dialing and the “Leupold Knock” on turrets in a superstition way to get the crosshairs to move or lock in...

I recently saw this behavior being used on a brand new Vortex Viper scope when the owner/shooter wasn’t seeing poi changes after dialing adjustments. The Vortex finally started tracking after repeatedly being smacked. But, the wasted ammo, and the shooter getting pounded from his lightweight, non-braked 300 Roy was frustrating...He wasn’t having fun! He was a solid shooter who was holding steady with each press of the trigger. He finally said after he achieved zero and had 6 rounds left from a box of 20 “What a piece of shít scope this is.” I just shook my head at the poor dude.

I’ve sold off all my big critter Leupolds...I’ve still have quite a few Leupold’s on my varmint rigs, but I don’t dial for small furs. Set and forget hasn’t been an issue, and my varmint rifles aren’t recoil monsters, whatever that really means for a scopes lifespan.

If a Leupold was to go down in the field on me while sluicing prairie dogs. It wouldn’t be the end of the world for me....I know, I know, I’d feel differently if I was $8k into a big fur hunt and I smoked a Leupold scope. BUT, thousands of hunters take their Leupolds into harsh conditions around the world where paying $8k dollars is like tip money to some compared to what they are paying for the hunt.

I like Nightforce scopes, a lot...I like SWFA scopes...I fück’n love my S&B pmii scope. The Zeiss V6 had amazing glass, but I traded it for a Remington SFII Sendero in 204 Ruger that shoots like a Sendero is supposed to...Good trade value in that Zeiss.😉

The point of this long post is....Leupold makes an attractive optic for a lot of people. And, Leupold owners worldwide have killed a butt-full of animals on every continent discovered by man. I could give half a hump what someone wants to run for a scope. It’s his cash. It’s his hunt...I don’t believe I’ve busted anybody’s balls about a scope unless they have asked for opinions or critique.

Leupold’s will kill shît - making someone very happy...Leupold’s will also break and then break someone’s heart. So, what??? I don’t care-and why should anyone else give a rip?

Until someone throws me a grand and half to buy a scope they want me to run...Their opinion doesn’t matter...Unless, I’m asking for opinions and assistance, which I have done many times....Then I want the truth, lies, and unvarnished opinions from all comers.

The Optic forum is one of the best sub-forums to get into a verbal brawl with people...I really don’t want it to change from an entertainment perspective, but, maybe just a little less butt-hurt over any beloved optic product. Just hang pics of dead critters with your chosen scope in the frame and laugh...It’s all good! Unless you’re running some POS bubble wrapped Chi-junk. Grins 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Didn't cost you a critter or your life. Send it in, it'll get fixed or replaced and life will roll on along. It's but one small rock upon the gravel road of life.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The first question, should always be, "Why do you want to sell it"? I'll bet that the previous owner screwed it up and dumped it on you. The few times that SWFA fails, it has to be kept in perspective with much more expensive scopes that fail. You cannot get a better deal on a great scope.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno how people break scopes. Have mostly used scopes purchased cheap and had them overhauled, not a single issue with any of them. El Paso Weavers, Leupold, MVA, a Unertl and one other about a century or so old. Squint, boom, splat.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was never my intention to knock SWFA scopes. They have a great reputation and I'm not one to try to change that. My thread was intended as nothing more than a "poor, poor pitiful me" lament.

I've used Leupold for many years and probably always will. They have their weaknesses, just like any product. The truth just is what it is, though. Tracking is their weakness...I've seen it myself, but for my purposes I can live with it. The good outweighs the bad in my world.

I am confident SWFA will take care of me. If the scope helps me identify a Leupold that isn't holding zero, then it will have served its purpose. If I ever decide to pursue long range precision, I'll have a suitable optic for that purpose.

That's all I have to say.

Don't be the darkness.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
There is a vast mount of actual, in the field experience here at the 'fire, that is a fact. Some have much more experience than others and thats A-OK. I will preface by saying that I do like the SWFA scopes that I've used to learn the mil system, whack hogs and 'yotes, range time, etc. They have a well deserved reputation for not letting shooters and hunters down for sure.

It is interesting though, that the first thought (mine too I admit) from experienced guys is that in this particular example, the blame was place nearly 100% at the hands of the previous owner. I'd say that's very likely true. When we think back to the USED Tract scope test thread, where the particular scope was tossed and trashed about, the scope did fail you could say, and the blame was placed directly on the scope being a POS, Tract being a POS company, and they made POS scopes. No consideration was given to placing blame on the previous owners in that case. Just interesting to me, that's all.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How soft is that metal? Brass alloy?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This is the stuff that ruins hunts. X3 for me. Moved on to SWFA and Burris. Time will tell.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Calvin
This is the stuff that ruins hunts. X3 for me. Moved on to SWFA and Burris. Time will tell.

Yup...

Why I no longer use Swaro 15x56....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
There is a vast mount of actual, in the field experience here at the 'fire, that is a fact. Some have much more experience than others and thats A-OK. I will preface by saying that I do like the SWFA scopes that I've used to learn the mil system, whack hogs and 'yotes, range time, etc. They have a well deserved reputation for not letting shooters and hunters down for sure.

It is interesting though, that the first thought (mine too I admit) from experienced guys is that in this particular example, the blame was place nearly 100% at the hands of the previous owner. I'd say that's very likely true. When we think back to the USED Tract scope test thread, where the particular scope was tossed and trashed about, the scope did fail you could say, and the blame was placed directly on the scope being a POS, Tract being a POS company, and they made POS scopes. No consideration was given to placing blame on the previous owners in that case. Just interesting to me, that's all.

I think some guys have an axe to grind...I can't honestly say I've never been there, but I do try to avoid behaving that way myself.

I don't understand all the emotion expressed when discussing optics. Or pickups. Or rifles. I like what I like, and others have their own preferences. I'm okay with that.

Politics is another matter. grin

Don't be the darkness.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I won't "quote" it to save space, but the last post by Beaver10 is a darn good perspective IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am really starting to wonder if there is ANY scope out there that is great quality, tough, reliable and tracks well at all! And if you're looking for the above in a lightweight format for a sheep rifle you're screwed!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Mooner, I am not certain, but I believe the turret housing (which is also where I think the threads were stripped) is aluminum. The threaded part of the turret appeared to be bronze but I could be wrong about that.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
What happened?

smile

THIS....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Mooner, I am not certain, but I believe the turret housing (which is also where I think the threads were stripped) is aluminum. The threaded part of the turret appeared to be bronze but I could be wrong about that.

Might of been a soft run of metal, or the PO went ham on it. Sounds like others have failed the same way. Manufacturer might want to look at the spec on that alloy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just trying to crank it up for that 2 mile shot.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spin 'er till she stops.....then give it another half a turn.

Lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin

Now that would tick me off...........

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My scope was returned last week, and a few minutes ago I just happened to check on the USPS tracking to see where it was. They received it on the 3rd. Funny thing, but as soon as I had checked that I received an email from SWFA informing me that I would receive a replacement as the scope I sent in had been discontinued, so I am assuming that the turret housing was hosed. I was given the choice between the two 20x models currently offered and I opted for the SS20X42MQ (the one I sent in had the crazy mil-dot reticle with 1/4-MOA turrets...why in hell did they ever put that package together??). I figured, why not play with mils for a change? It don't scare me none.
wink

Don't be the darkness.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
...I find the situation to be somewhat ironic.

Ironic? I don't think that's gonna iron out.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Older scope for sure if it was mil dot 1/4 moa....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Episode has concluded. Received a brand new replacement scope today.

It's the least expensive scope they sell, I think, but there's not a danged thing wrong with it and I think SWFA is top drawer.

Don't be the darkness.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SWFA has been a great company to deal with. Had one 3x9 SS die on me but they replaced it quick and haven’t yet had a 6 or 10 bobble.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to hear it turned out okay.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Warranty could cover that ??

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I could tell you, but I'd rather insist that you read the thread to find out.

Posting can be fun, but reading can be educational and even entertaining. I highly recommend reading.

Don't be the darkness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,901 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,978
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.