Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A while back I decided to acquire a scope with a reputation as being bulletproof and bought this 20x Super Sniper off a guy on another forum. The purpose of it all was to verify a rifle's true accuracy potential in order to be able to detect any performance degradation in any of my junky old Leupolds.

I was using the SS on my Swift (normally fitted with a VX-3 6.5-20x) yesterday, and this happened:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm pretty sure SWFA will take care of me, but I'm not real pleased. Bulletproof? I guess, not so much...I find the situation to be somewhat ironic.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oooooopsie!!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Blasphemy crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What happened?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What happened?

Dare I say it...shoulda bought a Leupold.

smile

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The forkin thing fell off. I was opening the bolt after a shot and there was some contact with the elevation turret, but it's not like I was holding the rifle steady by the turret. It just popped right off. It looks to me like the threads in the turret housing are stripped or failed.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
What happened?

Dare I say it...shoulda bought a Leupold.

smile

What happened, as in....did the rifle fall onto the concrete, scope first, and the turret was knocked off, or did the turret come off in his hand while dialling it? It makes a difference wink

Of course all scopes have a given rate of failure, SWFA fixed powers just have a much lower rate than most.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The forkin thing fell off. I was opening the bolt after a shot and there was some contact with the elevation turret, but it's not like I was holding the rifle steady by the turret. It just popped right off. It looks to me like the threads in the turret housing are stripped or failed.

Thanks for clarifying. That sucks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I know. What gets me is the irony of the whole thing, given the reason I bought it in the first place. The rifle wasn't shooting very well at all, and maybe the bulletproof scope was the reason.

I guess it just had to be me.
shocked

Don't be the darkness.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It happens...one of the first things I learnt in life was 'when everything is going well that is the time to look behind you to see what is going to bite you on the arse'.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Another way of saying it is "the odds of disaster increase each day that nothing goes wrong."

Don't be the darkness.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's bullet proof, not you proof! Chit!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Previous owner.
Unknown abuse or accident ?

lease keep us posted as to what SWFA says or does in this matter.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe so, but I dunno why the previous owner might have removed the turret. We'll see what SWFA's response is.

Don't be the darkness.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I do gotta laugh, as this is more common than what’s reported, according to texts/pm’s, but folks don’t wanna hear from the 24 hcf quality control know it all police.... 🤣🤣

Carry on...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m no fan-boy but, who knows what the previous owner(s) did to this scope.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How about some high resolution close ups while you’ve got this one apart. It’d be happy to post/host the images, just PM me for an email address.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
I’m no fan-boy but, who knows what the previous owner(s) did to this scope.

Was this ‘boomers beta scope for the mod? grin

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
OP,

I’ve seen it a couple of times. Each time the person spun the turret to the end of travel and continued cranking- once with a pair of pliers.

Is it a SWFA or Tasco version?

Originally Posted by Judman
I do gotta laugh, as this is more common than what’s reported, according to texts/pm’s, but folks don’t wanna hear from the 24 hcf quality control know it all police.... 🤣🤣

Carry on...

Yep it is more common than is reported.... about 5% of SWFA fixed powers have an issue inside of 10,000 rounds. Versus nearly 100% of Leupolds and Vortex’s.

So what is it that drives you to say and do the above? Is it that you doubt the people who see dozens to hundreds of scopes a year get shot, tested, and used are being honest? Is it that you doubt that those people see that amount of use?
There is no one that has said SWFA SS scopes have a 0% failure rate. Every item has a failure rate. Some items have low enough rates as to be almost surprising. Some have enough failures that it is expected quickly.

It isn’t about shooting a deer at 60 yards. Hell a $100 POS muzzle loader from Walmart and a BSA scope will do that. So all bs aside, how many SWFA SS and Nightforce scopes have you used, and how much use on those scopes?

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Bought some used scopes before. Never again. Like my brother told me about a used truck one time. He ain’t selling it because he’s in love with the SOB. Ed k

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.