Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Moses Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I hunt the mtns of WV. Cabelas Whitetail Extreme 1200 gram 11" boots (last 5 yrs). I have to cross several creeks that are 20ft wide shifty/rocky 12" deep fast water. I am tired of trying to balance on wobbly slick rocks that are covered with 3" of fast water hoping I don't slip off into boot filing-have to go back to the cabin 12" deep 38 degree water. A pair of the insulated hybrid 17" rubber boots would seem to solve this. How well would the rubber boots deal with the hill climbs/descents general mtn hunting?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Trekking poles are your friend...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Moses
I hunt the mtns of WV. Cabelas Whitetail Extreme 1200 gram 11" boots (last 5 yrs). I have to cross several creeks that are 20ft wide shifty/rocky 12" deep fast water. I am tired of trying to balance on wobbly slick rocks that are covered with 3" of fast water hoping I don't slip off into boot filing-have to go back to the cabin 12" deep 38 degree water. A pair of the insulated hybrid 17" rubber boots would seem to solve this. How well would the rubber boots deal with the hill climbs/descents general mtn hunting?

I hunt a lot of mountain sides in rubber boots. Not high mountains, just steep, thick, and rough. One of the reasons I use them is to cross the runoff's on the mountain side. There's no way around it, they aren't a mountain boot....but there are things you can do to improve them.

There is a lot of variety in the stiffness of the soles. If you need a stiffer sole you can use a rigid footplate insert to help. This can make a huge difference.

Replacing the insoles with your choice of a quality insole that fits your foot/arch is almost a requirement if you're climbing much.

There is a lot of variety in the tread patterns. Some just don't bite for traction, some are better. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you use on wet leaves, soft dirt, and a steep incline....but I prefer more tread to less.

I don't think there is anything you can do about getting more support from the boot when side hilling, etc. I think being in shape and having strong ankles/knees is it here. Plenty of problems with rubber boots and mountains but support due to the inability to lace up is one I don't think there is a work around for.

I think he was referring to crossing streams or mountains in general but like GregW said, trekking poles help, especially with rubber boots on mountain sides. A couple of years ago I moved to a single solid fiberglass stock stick for my use due to trekking poles bending or breaking on the steep inclines because I was relying on them so much. Most of my hikes aren't tremendously long, just rough and steep, so I don't mind the extra weight of the heavier pole. It works well to help with traction and I can set it in soft soil/leaves as a foothold when going up/down. I've picked up a pair of carbon-fiber trekking poles with no joints and I'm planning to see if they will hold up this year.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I hunt in the hills in Arkansas. If I was wading 12 " Lacrosse Burleys. 6" I would wear my Russells.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Moses,
Lacrosse and Muck likely offer a "rubber" boot that will work for your hunting. Fit is critical, so there is absolutely no substitute for trying the pair you eventually buy, and spend a few minutes walking around in them.
Your other adjustment is you chose to go this route, is to take a 2nd pair of socks along on your hunt and plan on changing around mid day. Your feet with thank you.
Be aware there are different soles and a variety of different height boots to choose from.
I believe it is worth the effort to sort thru the various combinations to find the one that suits your purpose.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Is go with the LaCrosse Burly’s. Great boots.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If it's one creek, one time each way, carry in some rubber boots and use them for the crossing, then leave on the other side for the trip back. Best of both worlds!

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
A rubber boot will never handle your steep mountains like a good leather boot will, i have tried 😁.....Rubber boots have their use but it aint mountain hunting.....Good luck....Hb

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I cross creeks like that off and on throughout the summer and into the fall. I wear good, Gore-Tex lined boots. If I need to cross a deeper creek, while I do use a trekking pole, putting gaitors on the boot will keep almost all of the water out. If that worries you, you can carry a spare set of socks. E

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A few weeks back there was a similar question, several members suggested Hodgman Gamewade Packable Hip Waders. They are light weight and slide over your boots, they are made for quick water crossing they are not a all day fishing wader.

Ted
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Last edited by old_willys; 10/01/19.

Ted
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Buy a pair of these and wear any boots you want. I normally wear hiking boots.

https://www.rei.com/product/852793/outdoor-research-rocky-mountain-high-gaiters-mens

Keep moving and your feet will stay dry. You can't stop and try to use them like waders, water will eventually get through.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorel Conquest boots.

Sorel Alpha Pac XT.

Both great for snow travel, too.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tall lace up snake proof boots with gortex. If you can find some with the soles you want. They will keep your feet dry walking in water. Probably a heck of a lot more comfortable to walk in than rubber boots.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've gone on a few hunts wearing muck boots. They've been surprisingly good in terms of ankle support, assuming they're the prefect fit for your feet. I don't know if I'd go on a 10 mile hike in them in the Rockies, but for the most part they've been pretty good. They're 100% waterproof and go up to just beneath my knees. They're absolutely awesome for crossing creeks like you mention.

They don't breath much though, so take that into account.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

If it's one creek, one time each way, carry in some rubber boots and use them for the crossing, then leave on the other side for the trip back. Best of both worlds!

This

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the rubber boots would be a bad trade off. I like the wading overboots if I know I will be crossing multiple creeks. Some that would allow you to wear cleated felt wading sandals would be ideal. I have gotten by with Snake boots, taking my socks off and wearing the boots only, seal skin socks, and putting my feet in trash bags for the crossings. None are ideal but numb feet are a deal breaker for me. I will be fidgety and uncomfortable for the rest of the hunt.

But with my better boots a change of socks and liners can usually get me by.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Forgot another item that really helps. Carbide studs, these can be added to most boots even some rubber ones. Completely worth while. I have never taken a spill yet when wearing these cleats. https://www.gripstuds.com/Motorcycle_Ice_Racing.php These also work well for walking over down timber and log jambs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Or you could wear non-gortex shoes/boots and get your feet wet and let them drain. Then crossing anything is no big deal.

Problem with rubber and gore is that once your feet are wet, you are screwed. Trail running shoes/boots, non gtx drain and dry. Wear good socks. You can hunt just fine with damp feet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,280 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.