Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14163938 09/29/19
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any experience with Kuiu Gaiters? I am running Salomon 4D 3 GTX as per usual and just trying to keep more snow off.

Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope, Black Diamonds.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Kuiu gators for the last 3 years. I like them.

Do or do not, there is no try.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They look good, but I've never used them.

I've used Kenetreks, which I liked but are not really durable, ORs, which are the standard, and Black Diamond which were a steaming pile of [bleep]. And I normally am a Black Diamond fan.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've used the Kuiu for four- five years, still on my original set.

I've waded 14 inches of river water, blundered into bog sinks, hiked through over 2 feet of snow, and through popcorn-fart dry forest.

Pros: Velcro is holding as firm as ever - my Kenetrek set lasted one season that I recall, they didn't keep me as dry either.

No rips, and I should have shredded them - they've been snagged on a dead fall more than once.

Haven't leaked yet, the boots wet through before the gaiter could let any water in.

IMHO - they are easy to adjust for your boot size, and height, the stirrup strap has not torn, or cut, and still looks pretty solid.

The upper leg cinch is easy to adjust, and seals tight.

Cons: they can be hot to wear in the early Fall, they don't let moisture out either.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I plan on trying something new if I can ever wear out my OR Expedition Crocs. After > 20 years and multiple repairs from crampon punctures they still work. Whatever you get a short piece of tubular webbing over the instep strap will extend the life of your purchase.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wore out my OR Crocs last year... the main thing I didn’t like about them was the lack of a snap at the bottom, where OR chooses to just rely on a small Velcro patch (bad design).

I replaced them with a Sea To Summit Event Alpine Gaiter... they’re about the perfect gaiter.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/sea-to-summit-alpine-event-gaiter_10368955

I think the Kuiu is a very good gaiter too, similar to the Sea To Summit, but with stretch fabric, and a slightly more restrictive fit, and of course the availability of camo if that means anything to you.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use gaiters whenever I can. I have had the Kenetreks, Kuiu's, generics, and will try the summit alpine next. The two problems I have had are - 1. finding a size big enough to accommodate heavy wool pants when snowshoeing for elk and 2. Outer fleece fabric to cut down on the swishing and scratching noise.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
I wore out my OR Crocs last year... the main thing I didn’t like about them was the lack of a snap at the bottom, where OR chooses to just rely on a small Velcro patch (bad design).

I replaced them with a Sea To Summit Event Alpine Gaiter... they’re about the perfect gaiter.

I think the Kuiu is a very good gaiter too, similar to the Sea To Summit, but with stretch fabric, and a slightly more restrictive fit, and of course the availability of camo if that means anything to you.

Good to keep in mind Brad, you always find top notch gear.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Those look good. Looks like an instep slider as opposed to the traditional buckle. That was the first thing to break on the Black Diamonds. Let us know how they hold up.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Almost exact C O P Y of the Black Diamond gaiters.

BTW, my Black Diamonds have never broken, nor the full welt expedition version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I've used the Kuiu for four- five years, still on my original set.

I've waded 14 inches of river water, blundered into bog sinks, hiked through over 2 feet of snow, and through popcorn-fart dry forest.

Pros: Velcro is holding as firm as ever - my Kenetrek set lasted one season that I recall, they didn't keep me as dry either.

No rips, and I should have shredded them - they've been snagged on a dead fall more than once.

Haven't leaked yet, the boots wet through before the gaiter could let any water in.

IMHO - they are easy to adjust for your boot size, and height, the stirrup strap has not torn, or cut, and still looks pretty solid.

The upper leg cinch is easy to adjust, and seals tight.

Cons: they can be hot to wear in the early Fall, they don't let moisture out either.

+1

I’ve used OR Crocs and Kuiu gaiters extensively, and prefer the Kuiu’s for the reasons mentioned above. The snap on the toe is an upgrade over the OR’s velcro tab.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sleeping Indian wool gaiters if you've got the moola. They're awesome.
I also have a pair of Markhors that I bought in Queenstown NZ at a mountaineering shop in 2015. They've been OK, but they're starting to wear out with a couple of holes in them.

I may try a pair of Kuiu or OR next.
Kenetreks haven't lasted one season for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Sleeping Indian wool gaiters if you've got the moola. They're awesome.
I also have a pair of Markhors that I bought in Queenstown NZ at a mountaineering shop in 2015. They've been OK, but they're starting to wear out with a couple of holes in them.

I may try a pair of Kuiu or OR next.
Kenetreks haven't lasted one season for me.

Thanks for turning me on to Sleeping Indian! Just checked out their products. I see money fleeing my bank account!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Almost exact C O P Y of the Black Diamond gaiters.

BTW, my Black Diamonds have never broken, nor the full welt expedition version.

I misspoke, mine are the Sea to Summit Quagmire Gaiters:

https://seatosummitusa.com/collecti...iter?_pos=4&_sid=d501f3bab&_ss=r

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the look of those Sea to Summit's, prefer eVent to Gore for a winter type gaiter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The top strap hook eliminates another common failure point too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwh2
The top strap hook eliminates another common failure point too.

Exactly. The little plastic friction fastener on the OR Crocs was the other failure spot that the Sea to Summit Quagmire Gaiters address.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I 2. Outer fleece fabric to cut down on the swishing and scratching noise.

Yeah, I've been with guys whose heavy duty Codura nylon gaiters sounded like an all kazoo band rambling through the timber. OR Crocs come to mind.

It's funny how people are not aware how much noise they make........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I 2. Outer fleece fabric to cut down on the swishing and scratching noise.

Yeah, I've been with guys whose heavy duty Codura nylon gaiters sounded like an all kazoo band rambling through the timber. OR Crocs come to mind.

It's funny how people are not aware how much noise they make........

I've walked right up to elk inside 40 yards with Cordura gaiters on...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody try any of the Kahtoola gaiters?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I've used Kenetreks, which I liked but are not really durable, ORs, which are the standard, and Black Diamond which were a steaming pile of [bleep]. And I normally am a Black Diamond fan.

Ok. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with my black diamonds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Anybody try any of the Kahtoola gaiters?

I've looked at them, but the small, exposed zipper makes me leery. That zipper is down at ground level where snow, ice, mud, etc., collect. It's not covered, and I can imagine having a tough time with it in a variety of conditions or with cold hands trying to make it work. I prefer a Velcro closure... KISS.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I took my new kenetrek gaiters on a moose hunt. One did not survive a deadfall expedition. I need to patch a tear.
They did keep my feet dry in a lake while quartering a moose.
I will checkout the other options discussed.
Not to sidetrack, but repair suggestions?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's just a tear, a needle and thread with seam-sealer over it to finish. Or, Gear Aid Tenacious Tape... I prefer to use the clear tape. Use a piece on the inside and outside.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

Ok. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with my black diamonds.

If they are holding up for you, you are probably doing something right!

The instep strap buckle on mine broke the first day of use. Taped it and used it for a couple weeks sheep hunting, then tried to use them at moose camp. Blew the strap out completely at moose camp but I had backups there. The other one is tearing out too, and upon closer inspection, that buckle is trying to give up the ghost too. Not trying to knock the company... I generally like their stuff as I mentioned. But it would be tough to sell me another pair of their gaiters. Less than a season on these:

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Black Diamond backs their equipment. Over tightening the straps? Perhaps you could have returned them for a replacement instead of continuing to wear broken gear?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Didn't "tighten" the straps at all.

I got what I could out of the POS. My biggest fear in returning them was that they would give me another pair.

I have pictures of some decent quality gaiters with 4 years of use on them too if you'd like to see what that looks like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No thanks.

I use my BDs in rough terrain and with crampons, too. 9 years and still almost new looking despite bashing up and down actual mountains.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cool. In the interest of understanding your experience, which is obviously much different than mine:
Is that all/most winter use? How much loose rock?

Its not that I don't believe you, but 9 years on a set of gaiters is just hard to comprehend.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been using the kuiu ones since they first came out. I'm very happy with them and they've held up well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool. In the interest of understanding your experience, which is obviously much different than mine:
Is that all/most winter use? How much loose rock?

Its not that I don't believe you, but 9 years on a set of gaiters is just hard to comprehend.

Actually a valid point.

Annually, use them for 2-3 mixed snow, ice, rock climbs in the North Cascades, usually couple of Cascades volcano climbs, a few deep snow snowshoe trips, several chrony shooting trips in the mountain environment and one or two non-summit "assists" of those that are not prepared or shouldn't be where they are.

Wear them when needed on approaches with scree, talus and boulders, wet brush, etc. Couple of times in desert environments when other equipment was delayed.

They're a little frayed, but very serviceable. I always clean and maintain all equipment, gear and firearms on returning from any kind of sojourn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wanted to wait until the end of the season before providing any feedback smile

new gaiters this year- Kuiu Yukon, look very similar to the OR Croc in design- different fabric, definitely quieter than the Croc; seems durable- have a lot of miles on them, but just one season- time will tell; at the bottom instead of a fold over velcro to secure (OR), the Kuiu uses a heavy duty snap- much better design; I have a couple of pair of OR gaiters where the small velcro piece has failed

anyways- another possible gaiter to look at

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My biggest fear in returning them was that they would give me another pair.

LOL!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I agree with cwh2, the black diamonds are junk! The pair I had made it 4 days. The next worse was kennetreks. I currently use OR and can stretch two to three years out of a pair.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kuius have been great for me 5 years zero problems. A bit better than the OR and REI and BD.

V
V
Originally Posted by mtwarden

new gaiters this year- Kuiu Yukon, look very similar to the OR Croc in design- different fabric, definitely quieter than the Croc; seems durable- have a lot of miles on them, but just one season- time will tell; at the bottom instead of a fold over velcro to secure (OR), the Kuiu uses a heavy duty snap- much better design; I have a couple of pair of OR gaiters where the small velcro piece has failed

@mtwarden - How do the Kuiu's stack up to the OR's in terms of breathability? I've worn OR's for years, Crocs and Veriglas and have never gotten sweaty in them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vdeal

@mtwarden - How do the Kuiu's stack up to the OR's in terms of breathability? I've worn OR's for years, Crocs and Veriglas and have never gotten sweaty in them.

IME the Yukons are at least as breathable.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have had a grey pair of the kuiu’s for 5 years I love them

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Kuiu’s look about as good as it gets...

Question, are the instep straps replaceable like the Sea To Summit?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

My OR crocs have a snap. Now they are from 2012, but they were 35 bucks well spent at stp.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

My OR crocs have a snap. Now they are from 2012, but they were 35 bucks well spent at stp.

Crocs had a snap in the 1980’s, maybe early-mid 1990’s, but have been Velcro for a long time...unless someone put a snap on aftermarket. Mine were from 2006 and had Velcro.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are sewn in.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
They are sewn in.

That’s not great... but not a deal breaker.

The S2S Quagmires have a replacable strap.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Crocs had a snap in the 1980’s, maybe early-mid 1990’s, but have been Velcro for a long time...unless someone put a snap on aftermarket. Mine were from 2006 and had Velcro.

Correction, just double checked my gaiters, they are OR cascadia gaiters, with a bottom button snap. They have been flawless in the 7yrs I've used them.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/08/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've come to realize that instep straps really are not that necessary. They get dirty and cut before too long. What is more important is a single hook at the front of the gaiter that you attach to the first loop on your boots. Between that and the snug fit of a gaiter, I've never had them ride up or slide around.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evening gentleman, This may sound funny but how tight are gaiters in fit , are they tight enough to be water proof standing in water??? I usually wear high cut boots or rubber boots if I think I'm going to be in water. I've just recently started wearing low cut boots (lighter) and an old pair of my daughters riding gaiters that are leather but I always thought they were just for brush tag alders to protect the legs. Do they fit tight or are they cinched up around your calf & boot. Maybe I've been missing out on something??? Just curious?? Bill out 🐾👣🇨🇦

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
These have been the best I've used, by a long shot. They are quiet, and fit snug around your leg.

Kevlar material, and a steel cable instep strap. Mine have seen around 5 years of hard use, and still look like new.

The only down side is the owner (Davey Hughes) can't keep his mouth shut about US gun laws......

https://www.swazi.co.nz/Product/AGB/ALI-GAITER

Andy3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Evening gentleman, This may sound funny but how tight are gaiters in fit , are they tight enough to be water proof standing in water??? I usually wear high cut boots or rubber boots if I think I'm going to be in water. I've just recently started wearing low cut boots (lighter) and an old pair of my daughters riding gaiters that are leather but I always thought they were just for brush tag alders to protect the legs. Do they fit tight or are they cinched up around your calf & boot. Maybe I've been missing out on something??? Just curious?? Bill out 🐾👣🇨🇦

As tight as you can get them, as fit affects function. But no, they will never be water proof when standing in water. The best way to put it would be they improve your odds of staying dry when running through water that is over your boots. Although that's a great way to fall in the river, depending on riverbottom and pack weight.

They keep snow, sticks, rocks and other stuff out of the top of your boots. And they protect the uppers of your boots in sharp rocks, and they provide the above "better chance" waterproofing.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I was able to stand in the lake, about six or eight inches of water while skinning a moose.
I could stand but needed to stay moving while I skinned. I was wearing the kenetrek gaiters.
I did order a pair of Kryptek gaiters for my wife from midway. Unfortunately they were too small for her but they seemed tougher than the kenetrek. The material was the canvas material and would seem quieter.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Andy3
These have been the best I've used, by a long shot. They are quiet, and fit snug around your leg.

Kevlar material, and a steel cable instep strap. Mine have seen around 5 years of hard use, and still look like new.

The only down side is the owner (Davey Hughes) can't keep his mouth shut about US gun laws......

Andy3

Do the tops have a method to tighten them or are they relying on grippy material to help keep the gaiters up?

Love the steel cable idea.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OR and I love to hate to say it but Kuiu. Kennetrek were really disappointing from a durability/ longevity/ functionality standpoint.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Andy3

How does the cable do in snow?
I built some Gaiters quiet a number of years ago and used stainless steel cable for the instep strap, thinking that would work great. And it did until the cable got micro frays and then the snow balled up something terrible.

Ed T

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Andy3

I built some Gaiters quiet a number of years ago and used stainless steel cable for the instep strap, thinking that would work great. And it did until the cable got micro frays and then the snow balled up something terrible.

Were your cable straps coated? I imagine the coating would wear eventually, but how long..?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Andy3

Were your cable straps coated? I imagine the coating would wear eventually, but how long..?

Yes, the coated cable was better but still frayed some in sharp shale.

Ed T

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been wearing the latest generation of Sitkas. I like the way the bottom strap adjust and how well they comform to your leg. Also you are able to snug the middle and top, works really well when you are trying to posthole snow.

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/stormfront-gaiter/optifade-subalpine

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Andy3

The cable does great in snow. I spend alot of time chasing chukar and huns in sharp lava rocks. Just now looking at the kevlar gaiters, there is 1"-1.5" that the plastic has worn off the cables, on each one. The exposed cable is still smooth to the touch.

The gaiters are held up with velcro around the top of the gaiters, that fit above your calves. Only on the hardest of hunts, do I have to readjust them, and then only once or twice a day. The body of the gaiter fits snug, and has a back panel that stretches to fit your calf.

I bought these to keep from destroying the bottom of my light wool pants (first lite). They have paid for themselves in that aspect alone.

Andy3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm 6'2 and have long calf's does anyone make a tall and Quite. I was hunting out West and I could hear my Brothers Friends Gaters over a 1/4 mile away,
and if I can hear it how far could a deer ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vdeal

sorry for the later reply smile The Kuiu's are as breathable as any of my OR gaiters, but when I was wearing them (rifle season) it was cold; I don't think any 3 layer gaiter would fair overly well in in warmer weather

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.