Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I dont know much about these, but i just inherited it from my dad. I tried to do a serial # lookup on it and this one is odd. It seems every one i saw starts with BB0. This particular rifle was made before '81, as its a WRA gun. Serial #BB179XX. I believe my grandfather bought it new in 1979. Anyone else have one with the serial # starting with a 1 after BB?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The serial on mine is BB014XXX. I know nothing about its origin, though. Swapped into it several years ago. I do know that I LOVE the rifle! Fell for the first one I ever saw, but had to wait about 25 years to own one.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks riverrider. I know what you are talking about. I also remember shooting this rifle with my grandfather 30 years ago. Ive always loved the looks of this rifle. Even though they arent pre 64, they still have some good classic looks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a couple of top eject 375BB’s with BB027XXX and BB029XXX serial numbers. One was in poor condition when I bought it and I had always thought a 375/356 would make a decent power upgrade so I had that rifle rechambered. It’s a big bore caliber that I feel Winchester should have produced. In a lightweight top eject model the recoil does sting !

I think the 375BB XTR rifles before they introduced the additional safeties, rebounding hammers etc were probably the best of the post 64 rifles Winchester produced. I really like the rifle and cartridge combination. It’s points and handles well. You have quite decent performance from a package about the same size and weight as a light 92 carbine in 44, but with more versatility. The fast twist, deep rifling and long throat make for an interesting combination in a lever gun.

It’s good to see brass now being offered by Starline, though it is easy to simply open up 30/30 brass. You can use 38/55 brass too, at least brass that’s 2.08” long. The longer 38/55 brass I’m not sure as that might be too long. In any event 38/55 has a lighter head design so i’d only use them for lower pressure loads. For those that don’t cast, the biggest issue is bullets for heavier game. If you cast you have plenty of options these days.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All good info guys. I appreciate it. I finally got home, so I can post pics of the beauty. Here she is:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine has the same sling attachments. I had assumed the previous owner added them. Did they come this way?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought mine in May of 1980 for the outrageous sum of 189.00 new in the box.
the serial is BB0150xx
at the time i bought it my hourly wage was 4.75 ph so it was a BIG purchase. it was my one gun for years even surviving a break in where they cleaned out most everything we had of value.
today it has maybe 3 dings and one scratch from hunting the coastal range of Oregon for 10 years, then Alaska and California and here in Idaho. i use it every couple years for Bear.
when all my other guns are just memories the BB 94 XTR will be clutched in my cold dead hands.
i have around 500 rounds and cases for it and a mold so i will never be out of ammo in my lifetime.
it is the one rifle i won't take out of the gun case and hand to someone to handle.

think today is a good day to make it bark.

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/09/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Youper
Mine has the same sling attachments. I had assumed the previous owner added them. Did they come this way?

Youper, I wish my grandpa was still around so I could ask him. Based on the fact that it has a white plastic spacer on the rear sling stud, I'm assuming they are aftermarket. Just a hunch though. I'm thinking my grandpa put them on there. I like the way it looks and works though, I may have to get rid of the white plastic spacer....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet rifle! I used to have same in 356 and 375 Win.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had one in a .356. Liked it but I did trade it off. Brass is tough to find. .358 dies appeared to work. Great saddle rifle

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of .375's

One's a 29,000 SN and one's a 4,000 SN. Also have a Bald Eagle in .375 as well as a pair of .307's, a .356, a .444 and a trio of Waters.

I don't believe the swivel studs were factory original on any of the XTR 94's. But I was almost wrong one other time...……...

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
BSA - that rifle looks like it’s in great condition.

It looks like your grandpa fitted a Redfield peep sight which I suspect was modified to fit around the rear bulge in the receiver - it’s quite a beefy sight. You have a nice rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JFE
BSA - that rifle looks like it’s in great condition.

It looks like your grandpa fitted a Redfield peep sight which I suspect was modified to fit around the rear bulge in the receiver - it’s quite a beefy sight. You have a nice rifle.

Thanks JFE. Yes, it is a redfield sight. My grandpa was very handy, so it is possible he modified the sight. It looks like it was made for this rifle. I just figured they made a redfield for this particular model 94? My grandpa was a machinist and welder, so anything was possible with him. ha ha...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve got a 375 Win XTR... gorgeous and shoots well with Buffalo Bore

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can someone tell me what Williams peep sight fits the Big Bore? the standard 94 does not because of the receiver bulge.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both my 375 and 356 have identical studs and mag tube sling eyelets without the white spacers bought new like this. 307 and two 7-30's do not have studs
A Lyman 66A mounted to the 375 with no interference at all and I think the Williams 5D-94/36 would fit the same.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That Williams won't work I don't think.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Williams FP-94SE, if you can find one.
That's what is on my .356, it has a AE prefix serial number. Rear mount is top side by side mounting screws, not concentric with the bore.
Works like a charm.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jorge: I do not care for Williams fool proof sights because the big blocky base impedes the view on the side of the receiver. My 356 Win has a simple receiver sight that straddles the top of the receiver. It requires drilling and tapping a hole on each side of the receiver but the Williams requires drilling an tapping the side of the receiver. The sight came from XS Sights and is a perfect ghost ring.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Comerade: 358 brass feeds through my 356 perfectly. Just do't use 358 factory loads because it is too much pressure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.