Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gents,<P>Just finished popping the rifle,out of it's bedding. Turned out great,as according to my eye(not much force,there).<P>It's a S/S Rem 700 short,in 223Ackley. This particular S/S barrel,is a smidge slight of contour,but shoots sooooo well it must remain. It's a 1-12" and 24" in length. I'll twist the next one quicker and leave it heavier in diameter,as a control experiment.<P>As strictly a "play toy",I'll concentrate on the 50gr V-Max at warp speed. The rifle will wear a Leupold 16x,until "best" loads are determined.<P>I plan on burping a couple thousand pieces of 223AI brass,out of this particular test bed. When the final tally is counted,I'll relay the merits of the cartridge(again). <P>As it stands now,I'm tickled to field a rifle of this design and concept. It is a very useful tool and with few limitations............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'Stick, would love to hear more about the components that make up this rifle. And how it performs.<P>I have an extra 700 SA that I've been wanting to turn into something similar.<P>Thanks, Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bill, -- you have any trees on your place? Any prairie dogs or is it to cold for them up there? Speaking of cold you have let some out and it's tresspassing down here in Texas, been cold rain now turning to sleet this morning but will help the hunting, just have a little over a month left of season. Sounds like you are wanting a dog caliber, or crows. Thought you had a 220 Swift. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sonnie, no Swift in the stable.<BR>Yeah, sorry about that weather thing, hope that you're doing OK with it. You don't need to send it back though, just slide it on over to our friends in Georgia. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>Got a few trees, our east quarter has only 91 acres farmable, the balance is whitetail habitat. Come on up where its warmer and I'll show you what God intended whitetails to look like. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>Cheers, Bill

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bill,<P>It is just a Play Toy,that mimics the Marine Sniper Rifle,of years past(M40A1). It is not an exact replica,but will be,in it's final stage(next barrel).<P>Currently,it is set up for half-assed fun. It rides in a grey/black swirled McMillan HTG stock(M40A1 pattern)and is pretty cool looking. I had the barreled action heavily bead blasted and it's dull matte grey appearance,very much compliments the stock coloration. I decided on matte finished Leupold Dual Dovetail extend front bases and matte rings. Initially(yesterday),I was going to toss a 16x Leupold on it,but changed my mind,this afternoon. I had a Burris Signature 4-16x with turrets and mil-dot reticle laying around,so opted for it. Mainly because I wanted to practice ranging with the mil scale and I intend to shoot this thing a LOT. Plus I'm going to get some pass shooting of Crows on tapewith this rifle,for a couple pards. The straight 16x is harder to do that with.<P>In final form,it will wear Badger Ordnance bases/rings and Leupold MKV 10x with mil-dots. The final barrel,will replicate the Marine contour and will be 26" in length,twist rate is still not finalized,but I'm thinking 1-9". The bottom metal will be upgraded in accordance,as well.<P>It will be a piece of nostalgia and a blast to shoot. I'm planning another one,in 7-08 and have most the parts. After I shoot out one of my 308 bolt guns,I'll build another in 308,just for kicks.<P>The 223Ackley is a hell of a cartridge and in a midweight-heavy rifle,recoils little. So little,that you can readily spot your own shots,through the scope. That is fun in itself and further aids the learning curve,especially in wind.<P>Just my idea of a practical cartridge,tucked nicely in a proven design. Hard not to like this one...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Larry... I must assume the barrel is a Pac-Nor, because you seem to have plenty of them. So, \/\/here might a guy find info on this barrel maker? \/\/ho does your \/\/ork? \/\/hat price does a barrel, in 222 or 223(or their improved version) cost, installed in a Remington 600? <BR>This rifle is a 222 Remington currently, and has a hefty go of cancer on the outside. I have yet to check the bore, let alone clean it. Its been in storage for a number of years.<BR>I'd like to rebarrel it to either a 222 or 223(or their improved versions) after my 375 gets done. Thanks. ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Larry... I found the thread on Rifles and noted your post \/\/ith the Pac-Nor barrels. Thanks. ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Suluuq,<P>I'm fairly certain the guy who's building your 375,is the same who built this rifle(and about 20 others for me)...........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick, thanks for the info. I have a 223 that Holland rebarreled for me with a PacNor hvy bbl 1 in 14 for shooting 40gr Vmax and Baltips. It rides in that heavy, ugly stock from Plaster. (didn't have the cash for a McMillan), but I like how it performs in the dog towns with bullets up to 50grs.<P>A good friend of mine is a sniper on the Nebraska SWAT team and is willing to teach me what he knows about longish range shooting, mil-dots, wind reading, etc. <BR>Anyway, I have an abused 17Rem 700 that should be rebarreled, and was thinking about the 223ackley and a 1 in 7 or a 1 in 9. Should be better with bullets with better BC, and hoping that the ackley version might offer enough velocity gain to help some with the breezes we tend to have here.<P>I would prefer to make a 308 tactical, but am having trouble finding a 700 short action, large boltface. I have no 308 brass, but a few thousand of 223. So was hoping that with a 223 or a 223ackley, I could determine if I wanted to pursue Tactical type shooting discipline. Maybe get a HS Tactical in a few years.<P>Not sure in any of this makes sense, but since you seem to have built the very rifle I am considering, I deeply appreciate all of your input and comments. <BR>Thanks again, Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bill, be careful when shooting South, there are no mountains between us, besides you left the gate open. I am sending you back some warm air, weather man said this morning it will be back to 70 degrees by week-end but 28 tonight. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bill,<P>I EXACTLY understand where you are coming from. The 223AI is a superb cartridge. The straight-up 223,competes very well against the 308Win in many disciplines and often from an AR-15. <P>I've been debating the final version of this rifle and twist rate. I'm torn between staying in comfortable and familiar territory,or delving into the unknown fast twist/high BC arena. If wind is a serious concern,I'd likely look to the higher BC's,as an aid in that environment. BEFORE I did that though,I'd quiz some of the 223 Competitors and get a feel for velocity expectations,with those higher BCs and then crunch some ballistic numbers. there are numerous online sources,for free Ballistic Tables. You punch in your velocity,BC,and other specifics,to get a chart computed to your rifle and load. My focal point,would be to see at what distance the higher BC's pay off in the wind department,then weigh that criteria against bullet expense. Simply put,the higher BC "tricky" bullets are more expensive.<P>Rabid and I were discussing that topic in passing,the other day( I forget which thread). He shoots the 223 Gas Gun in Competition and he likes the 69's for most everything. Currently,that is my mindset as well. They are of good BC and are still fairly cheap.<P>Like everything else,it is give and take. I've built several Tactical 308's and they are fun. Mostly because the one in particular,shoots bulk Ball ammo into .5MOA(Thunderbird Cartridge Company reman). I've got 3,500rds or so left and it is a good practice tool and I don't have to load for it.<P>When drooling over a project,don't make sacrifices. If you want a 308,then build it,because you will ALWAYS wonder about it. I'm a 223 nut,but can't cuss the 308.<P>If you want a standard boltface Rem700 Varmint Synthetic BDL short action,I have one and would GLADLY trade it for a beat up 700,with a 223 boltface(your 17Rem). It is about 99.9% been shot 36 times and is a 22-250. I'll trade you action,for action,if that suits you. I don't care what shape yours is in,because it too will be rebarreled and refinished,into another M40A1 in 223Ackley.<P>Currently,there is a M40A1 Build up special going on. It includes the McMillan stock,proper aftermarket floorplate and S/S Rock barrel. It is built on your supplied action and is blueprinted,bedded and otherwise complete. It is only $1100(for parts,labor,everything) and though sounding steep,is a STEAL! That may be an option for you. If you are interested in that,I'll Email the link to you.............

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick. I believe I know of the M40A1 build up package you refer to. I was contimplating having this done. They have a great turn around time posted, 10-12 weeks. Do you have any experiance with their smith work? I understand they have just recently added gunsmithing services. I am fishing for a reccomendation. Thanks GB

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Georgia Boy,<P>If TS&S rings a bell,you are thinking as I am. They have never built a rifle for me,but I read glowing reports,from some very knowledgeable individuals. They are well respected.<P>I assume you have visited some of the "Sniper" Forums? They are well received,amongst those Boys and that is pretty high recommendation,in my book. They will be building a 308Win M40A1 for me,hopefully next Spring. Like everything else,it will rely on finances(actually,my lack of)......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Who's doing the M40A1 build up? I've got the want's for a .223 but can't decide which way to go. Hows that grey and black swirled stock look? You have any pictures you can post?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick. Yes TS&S are the folks. I notice that the chamberings they offer are 7.62 NATO Match and 308 Win Pala diminsion. How are the chamberings different than a 308 chamber. More specifically. Can I use my current Redding 308 Competition Die with either of these chamberings? I appricieate you willingness to share your experiance. GB

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
LSU,<P>The build up is available,only in 308Win. If you want one in 223,you'll have to find another source. A VSSF in 223,dumped into the HTG stock,is a very nice package. I rather like the grey/black swirl,but am not sure if I have a photo or not. I took photos yesterday,of my 4yr old holding that rifle and due to light conditions,they should be very good. Once developed,I'll post them with a title to let you know,what is going on.<P>The PSS in 223,is the most gun for the money(my opinion). Examples I've shot were SCARY in accuracy potential. Tweak the trigger,bed the stock and you have a very solid rifle.......<P><BR>GB,<P>The two reamers you mention,are the same thing. It is a "snuggish" match chamber,with throating condusive to the 168 MK's. Your dies would be perfect.<P>It is not a tight necked Benchrest chamber,just not as sloppy as most encountered,over the counter.<P>If you have any questions,call and talk to John,or shoot him an Email. I'm certain he'll happily answer any questions you may have. He's very good people............

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
LSU,<P>Big Momma(my Loving Bride)just delivered the mail and THANKS to the generousity of a Poster here(SPIKE),I may have photos this afternoon. He graciously mailed me a "Snappy" doo-hickey thingamabob,that will allow me to convert video to stills. Once I figure it out(IF I figure it out),I'll post photos.<P>Spike,you are one up on me. Much obliged for your most generous nature. THANKS..........

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for the info. Where can I find out more about the PSS. Are these readily available to the public. About a year ago I looked at a Remington Light Tactical .223 in a local gunshop. Is this the same thing?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
LSU,<P>The Light Tactical Rifle(LTR),is a version of the PSS. That is the offering,that excites me most,as it is compact and the fluting looks cool.<P>It is my understanding,that the PSS does NOT incorporate the newfangled J-lock. That according to a friend DownSouth,that has been sniffing around for me.<P>The Wholesaler "Hoplite" has the best PSS prices,as a rule. They routinely advertise in the GunList. The PSS is a matte finished barreled action,in an HS stock. They are twisted 1-9" in most instances and that gives you flexibility,regarding shooting heavier bullet types,with the higher BC's.<P>I'm working on the HTG photo.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Stick... Just a note, Pac-nor isn't making my 375, I've only discovered them via one of your posts last year. the guy making my 375 is Dave at IT&D Custom Guns, in Minerva Ohio. He's done my 358 \/\/in carbine, and a 338-06 AI. He's done my brother-in-la\/\/'s guns, too, \/\/ith excellent results. I trust his \/\/orkmanship, and his prices are decent. <BR>Just curious, in your experience/opinion, ho\/\/ does a Douglas Premuim air guaged barrel stack up to a Pac-Nor? ~~~Suluuq

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,215
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.