Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by greydog
I first looked at some FFP scopes about forty years ago. I didn't like them then and don't like them now. Plainly, a lot of people like them just fine. GD

+1
I had a Zeiss Victory FFP and after zeroing the scope at 200 yards, I moved over to the 400 yard range to see how much the bullet dropped. The reticle totally obliterated the target! I read here it is not supposed yo do that theoretically but it did and I sold the scope.

It was a blessing in disguise to lose money, because now I am completely healed from ever desiring another FFP!

Sounds like that reticle is designed for PBR hunting in good or poor light conditions. IE, it probably fits in category 1 that I described earlier in this thread, not in category 2, as it seems you were expecting.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I have several ffp scopes, but I like the SWFA and NF reticle a lot better than the Bushnell LRHSi with it’s doughnut of death. 😎
So get the LRTSi....

Yep, or the LRTS (no 'i') if you want a little finer crosshair for daytime precision work.

Went NF, SWFA and S&B instead - I sold one of my LRHSi already, the other has a home temporarily on my 26N...Not in a hurry to part with it...Just saying there’s good options available in FFP if Bushnell ain’t to your liking...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, my problem is that NF and S&B don’t make any reticles to my liking, other than maybe the Mil-XT.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The MIL-C is real promising and S&B is now offering the MSRII.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m liking this pmii police reticle for my hunting....😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
What is the advantage of a first focal plane scope? When dialed to high magnification, the crosshairs black out a lot of the target at longer distances. I bought one, now I am wondering why I did.

Most owners of FFP scopes buy them because that's what Chris Kyle used.

That is funny right there. Quit worrying about the markings matching at all powers. Dial the freaking scope to max power and quit fittle farting. Let’s face even if you are a long range hunter its more likely you are not going to be shooting past point and shoot distances. You don’t need to dial or hold over. So you most need a reticle that works on the lowest power. Need to shoot distant, turn power ring to max. Simple, ffp is for prs seal team six wanna bees

CC,

Surely someone must have asked you before and I probably missed it, but how many FFP scopes have you owned? Which ones with what reticles? Have you attempted to hunt with any of them? How did they fail you?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite woods scope is a Zeiss Diavari VM/V 1.5-6x42 30mm scope with the #8 ffp reticle. It is usually set around the middle of the magnification range which seems just right for my woods hunting. Then I got a Swarovski ffp 2.5-10x42 PH 30mm scope for my 7mm RM and there again it is fine in the middle magnification range as a hunting scope, but turn it up to full 10x and those crosshairs look pretty thick against a paper target. I know that they cover the same amount at all magnifications, but they do look thick. My varmint rifles have the sfp variable scopes because I use them at higher magnification in better light for smaller targets. Both ffp and sfp scopes have their place on my rifles.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Stray Dog:

fwiw.

Your Zeiss FFP crosshair subtended a bit over 2" around that 400 yard mark. I shot a nice buck w/o issue past 300 yards last year with a vintage Zeiss FFP. It can be done...:) If your target was a PD, then yeah, different reticle.

In the last 20 years the definition of what long range is has changed for hunters generally. Many of the "vintage" Euro reticles design were conceived many decades ago--some of them pushing 100 years ago. They were on their way to being phased out 20 years ago. They lend themselves well to low-light hunting as commonly considered hunting distances were not then synonymous with sniping distances. None the less, the same Euro reticles, like the heavy #1 in fixed power scopes, were used by WWII snipers at distance effectively. The sniper used the dimensions of the reticle's heavy post to range.

Magnification increases detail in low light. Cranking the variable models up utilizing a vintage reticle increases the user's ability to see the crosshair in low light and increases target detail--for my money they are the cat's ass for low-light whitetail within my zipcode.

But for today's longer range hunting and targets, a guy is probably best advised to buy a modern reticle designed for such--be it FFP or SFP.

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
My favorite woods scope is a Zeiss Diavari VM/V 1.5-6x42 30mm scope with the #8 ffp reticle. It is usually set around the middle of the magnification range which seems just right for my woods hunting. Then I got a Swarovski ffp 2.5-10x42 PH 30mm scope for my 7mm RM and there again it is fine in the middle magnification range as a hunting scope, but turn it up to full 10x and those crosshairs look pretty thick against a paper target. I know that they cover the same amount at all magnifications, but they do look thick. My varmint rifles have the sfp variable scopes because I use them at higher magnification in better light for smaller targets. Both ffp and sfp scopes have their place on my rifles.

Adjust the target to fit the reticle. On a capable rifle I can shoot below 1 moa with a reticle having crosshairs 1 moa thick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the advantage of a first focal plane scope? When dialed to high magnification, the crosshairs black out a lot of the target at longer distances. I bought one, now I am wondering why I did.

That is funny right there. Quit worrying about the markings matching at all powers. Dial the freaking scope to max power and quit fittle farting. Let’s face even if you are a long range hunter its more likely you are not going to be shooting past point and shoot distances. You don’t need to dial or hold over. So you most need a reticle that works on the lowest power. Need to shoot distant, turn power ring to max. Simple, ffp is for prs seal team six wanna bees

More like ignorant, instead of funny.....

I've been using FFP scopes long before PRS was invented, and anyone even knew who Kris Kyle was. And I've never had any intention of becoming a Navy Seal.....

People who are afraid to expand their knowledge through true experience are the one's who become stagnant....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

CC,

Surely someone must have asked you before and I probably missed it, but how many FFP scopes have you owned? Which ones with what reticles? Have you attempted to hunt with any of them? How did they fail you?

John

number one rule of big game hunting, BE READY to take a quick shot. what does that mean. it means getting up the the morning, light is often poor. it means spotting a deer or elk flashing through quakeis or pines. you may only have seconds to make the shot. OR it means walking up to a canyon looking over the edge and you only have a very short time to shoot. This means you want the scope on its lowest power setting. You want maximum FOV so that you can shoulder the gun and make a shot, If I have a 3-12 or 4-16 scope, ITS NOT sitting on 7x or 9x Its lowest power. And YES I check and no I don't normally forget it.

those middle range powers you guys fuss all over about the subtentions not matching at are a terrible place for your scope to be adjusted to when hiking, stalking, riding or walking in a hunting scenario. They are going to be a poor choice to make a quick shot with. I don't want to throw my gun up and have the scope set to 8x. I want freaking 3x for that. its meh. the FFP reticle is not going to be bold as I want it to be in crappy light, against a backdrop of quacking aspens or pines with sticks and branches laying randomly on its lowest power. If you simply aren't going to be using the scope at middle power AND also be needing the subtentions. WHY on earth do you want FFP. The fact is you don't . If you need the sub tensions, you should have more time to make the shot because its more distant. You also need the time to judge what animal you are shooting and how big. you also need to have the gun with a better rest of some sort. I carry shooting sticks for shots inside 350 yards. for longer shots, I use a pack of some sort. sometimes a harris bipod. But none the less when I am using those subtensions its a carefully taken shot, I am using a steady rest. and my scope is dialed to max power. I have subtensions that work like they should on max power. I also have a reticle that is bold and visable in low light. This stuff is pretty simple

if you are in a PRS match and shoot moving things at various distances IN EXCELLENT light I might add, FFP is probably what you want. it has no place in a hunting scope. It has a place in other shooting disciplines. this is a hunting forum last I looked.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well said

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

CC,

John

number one rule of big game hunting, BE READY to take a quick shot. what does that mean. it means getting up the the morning, light is often poor. it means spotting a deer or elk flashing through quakeis or pines. you may only have seconds to make the shot. OR it means walking up to a canyon looking over the edge and you only have a very short time to shoot. This means you want the scope on its lowest power setting. You want maximum FOV so that you can shoulder the gun and make a shot, If I have a 3-12 or 4-16 scope, ITS NOT sitting on 7x or 9x Its lowest power. And YES I check and no I don't normally forget it.

those middle range powers you guys fuss all over about the subtentions not matching at are a terrible place for your scope to be adjusted to when hiking, stalking, riding or walking in a hunting scenario. They are going to be a poor choice to make a quick shot with. I don't want to throw my gun up and have the scope set to 8x. I want freaking 3x for that. its meh. the FFP reticle is not going to be bold as I want it to be in crappy light, against a backdrop of quacking aspens or pines with sticks and branches laying randomly on its lowest power. If you simply aren't going to be using the scope at middle power AND also be needing the subtentions. WHY on earth do you want FFP. The fact is you don't . If you need the sub tensions, you should have more time to make the shot because its more distant. You also need the time to judge what animal you are shooting and how big. you also need to have the gun with a better rest of some sort. I carry shooting sticks for shots inside 350 yards. for longer shots, I use a pack of some sort. sometimes a harris bipod. But none the less when I am using those subtensions its a carefully taken shot, I am using a steady rest. and my scope is dialed to max power. I have subtensions that work like they should on max power. I also have a reticle that is bold and visable in low light. This stuff is pretty simple

if you are in a PRS match and shoot moving things at various distances IN EXCELLENT light I might add, FFP is probably what you want. it has no place in a hunting scope. It has a place in other shooting disciplines. this is a hunting forum last I looked.

Translation.......”None.”

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
cc never disappoints, that's for sure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm sure glad I logged into the 24hourcampfire today to learn the number one rule of big game hunting by the legendary Cummins Cowboy.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL....I have a few FFPs that are FAR better in low light and low power, for speed/visibility, than a [bleep] TON of SFP scopes I’ve had, intended for the same thing. I guarantee you the hardwoods/pineywoods with a 20 yard picket fence shot windo at 100yard at first/last is far less shot time opportunity than canyon country or foothills.....most days.....at least having been in both. Big, bold, and fast isn’t exclusive to SFP or FFP, variables or fixed. There’s packages in most any setup these days to cover all your bases, if you look. Then throw in today’s reliable illum, and what’s your beef with either? Use what you like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
LOL....I have a few FFPs that are FAR better in low light and low power, for speed/visibility, than a [bleep] TON of SFP scopes I’ve had, intended for the same thing. I guarantee you the hardwoods/pineywoods with a 20 yard picket fence shot windo at 100yard at first/last is far less shot time opportunity than canyon country or foothills.....most days.....at least having been in both. Big, bold, and fast isn’t exclusive to SFP or FFP, variables or fixed. There’s packages in most any setup these days to cover all your bases, if you look. Then throw in today’s reliable illum, and what’s your beef with either? Use what you like.

which FFP scopes? I might seriously be interested in one. its not that I have hate for them, although some here would think that. If I can reasonable be shown that I can shoot in any situation up to and including till last legal shooting light while seeing the reticle clearly without illumination on the lowest power setting. I would be interested. So far the scopes I have seen that come closest to being able to do this are the 3x9 SWFA and the 4.5-18 LRHS. There are quite a few euro duplex scopes that have been FFP for years. I don't count these. Reticle just needs holds offs and still be seen in crappy light.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
But none the less when I am using those subtensions its a carefully taken shot, I am using a steady rest. and my scope is dialed to max power. I have subtensions that work like they should on max power.

There are several reasons why a person might not want to have their scope on max magnification when taking a longer shot. But no matter how many times I spell that out, you're not going to accept it. Which is kind of ironic considering where you live, and how often a guy would have to shoot through mirage.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nightforce, Vortex LHV, Burris, Bushnell, and even the Nikon 1000 I’ve played with and/or currently use in FFP, have reticles (illum or non) that have thick posts and a small center on the lower end for fast and first/last work.....especially when you go to the LPV versions1-4/6/8 and doughnuts/chevrons. Everyone’s eyes are different, and you have to actually USE some reticles to figure out what works. However, you ain’t ‘thickening up’ any SFP by just cranking it up or down....outside a trip for a reticle change, it is what it is. I have G1s/4s, SFP/FFP, duplexes, doughnuts, triangles, hp, lp, fixed, variable, prisms, dots, MILS/MOAs, ....you name it. Telling me one ‘generally’ is better or another can’t be, just seems a limited POV. It’s size/weight/expense/use.....one shoe don’t fit all.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/30/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

CC,

John

That's a lot of typing, just to say, "I have absolutely no experience, at all, with any FFP scopes."

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.