Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Getting ready for hunting this year. Was just going to buy BC scope caps again, but they are kind of slow and pop open on their own sometimes.

So, I did some searching here and all I found was a site sponsor Scopeguardalaska giving away their item and a few posts in that thread....if you got one, how is it a few years later? Do you still have it? Opinion on it?

There is a company named Scope Shield that seems to make the same thing with better marketing.

There are also better lens caps from Vortex, Tenebrex, etc

Scope is a Vortex Viper HS 4-14x44, if that matters.

So what should I get?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Factory Leupold bikini cover for me. Nothing fancy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
butler creek blizzards with the clear covers. They are inexpensive and you can keep them closed all the time then still come up quick on an unexpected opportunity. I usually end up with a wrap of tape around the scope bell, under the cover, to keep the covers snug. They are cheap enough to experiment with.

I just started using them on my binocs last season too.

Last edited by JeffG; 09/29/19.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've never used anything other than Butler Creek Bikinis. Cheap and effective. Plus, I like the look I get when I tell The Mrs. that I need to go buy a new bikini.

Last edited by JeffyD; 09/30/19.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like Butler Creek Bikini's myself or factory Leupold Bikini's that came on them. They are compact, compressible (jam in your pocket, and QUIET!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I make my own from automotive inner tube, received free from a tire shop, and can make a dozen or more with one tube. Cheap, no big deal if lost.....easy on -easy off, quiet, and very waterproof. Tucks easily into a pocket, or as I prefer, place it between my belly and belt buckle....quick, easy access (better than a pocket)! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/30/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by memtb
I make my own from automotive inner tube, received free from a tire shop, and can make a dozen or more with one tube. Cheap, no big deal if lost.....easy on -easy off, quiet, and very waterproof. Tucks easily into a pocket, or as I prefer, place it between my belly and belt buckle....quick, easy access (better than a pocket)! memtb

Details? Pics?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kingston, Here as requested is a picture of several. They’re not as pretty as manufactured covers.....but, I ain’t trying to make a fashion statement. Merely, have something functional! While these may seem rather crude, you should’ve seen the “first generation”!

I have gotten several different sizes of tubes, to better fit different scope lengths. If a very long scope is to be fitted, this may be a bit of an issue, as the longer scope will require a larger tube....and the larger tubes are also thicker, resulting in a fairly stiff cover (harder to stretch). For most “hunting type” scopes, this shouldn’t be a big issue.

Production: simply using a good pair of scissors, you just cut the tube outer circumference to the inner circumference. The actual design is totally dependent upon, you skills and patience. The end size is determined by the size of the scope lenses, and how much excess you want. A little excess, gives more cover to grab on a cold day while wearing gloves. It’s a good cold, rainy day project! memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 09/30/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm in the same camp as sbrmike.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BC flip-up's are light,seal exceptionally and take a lick.

BC's Stay Put RINK

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Bikini’s. Use a little zip-tie to tie it to the scope on the left side.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Bikini’s. Use a little zip-tie to tie it to the scope on the left side.

Good idea. I'm going to use that.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Bikini's

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by memtb
Kingston, Here as requested is a picture of several. They’re not as pretty as manufactured covers.....but, I ain’t trying to make a fashion statement. Merely, have something functional! While these may seem rather crude, you should’ve seen the “first generation”!

I have gotten several different sizes of tubes, to better fit different scope lengths. If a very long scope is to be fitted, this may be a bit of an issue, as the longer scope will require a larger tube....and the larger tubes are also thicker, resulting in a fairly stiff cover (harder to stretch). For most “hunting type” scopes, this shouldn’t be a big issue.

Production: simply using a good pair of scissors, you just cut the tube outer circumference to the inner circumference. The actual design is totally dependent upon, you skills and patience. The end size is determined by the size of the scope lenses, and how much excess you want. A little excess, gives more cover to grab on a cold day while wearing gloves. It’s a good cold, rainy day project! memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s awesome, Thanks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Butler creek, easy off when I go hunt dry locales...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They’re not “tough” but they’re cheap...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
butler creek blizzards with the clear covers. They are inexpensive and you can keep them closed all the time then still come up quick on an unexpected opportunity. I usually end up with a wrap of tape around the scope bell, under the cover, to keep the covers snug. They are cheap enough to experiment with.

I just started using them on my binocs last season too.

+1

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, BALLISTIK, 5 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,121
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.