Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I too use the Savage combo gun. This one in a 22/410 o/u. I use it a lot. I take it to the bush on our yearly whitetail hunt which is usually the better part of a week or more. Once the deer tag is filled I carry that little gun around. Many a Ruffy has fallen to this gun. Light, easy to carry and lots of power for it's intended use.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
I don’t even think 410 slugs are legal for deer here. Of all the hoorah that gets raised around here by guys who don’t think a 223 is enough gun for deer, I’d wager it’s 10x the deer gun a 410 is. I might try it for the novelty as a challenge but I shoot pigs with 38 specials and 9mm for the heck of it and deer with a stick bow. I’d almost view it as setting a kid up for failure or a lost deer.

I just don’t like the idea of starting kids bird hunting with a 410 due to the degree of difficulty involved. Get them frustrated and they may not want to go anymore. Around here the lions share of our bird shooting is doves on waterholes or coming into feed on cut crop fields, not much stalking or woodsmanship involved but lots of opportunities to get some shooting in and practice gun handling.

Of course lots of us started lots of stuff the hard way and we turned out okay. YMMV

For many years, .410 slugs were not legal here for deer. But that oversight has been corrected. The only issue I have with .410 deer slugs (foster type) is they are harder to find, never seem to go on sale, and cost as much as 12ga. Sabots.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My brother shot a Buck with a 410 slug when he was 12. It was close enough that he saw fur fly on impact but they never had blood and didn't recover it. Claims he had a behind the shoulder hit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned to hunt with the same Essex 410 single shot belonged to my grandfather, then my father. My 3 younger brothers also learned to hunt with it as well. The little gun has to be at least a 100 years old, and when my father died and we were dividing up his guns between us boys, it was one that I choose. It was then the gun that my son learned to hunt with. So, four generations of our family cut their hunting teeth on it. My son has 3 girls, and the oldest 2 deer hunt, but so far have not expressed an interest in shunting with a shotgun.

I still shoot it today, as it is one of my varmint guns that I use around the farm. I have problems with rabbits getting in the crops that I grow in the high tunnel in the cold months, and I often have to shoot several, and the little 410 works perfect for that. I've even been kicking around the idea of getting one in a double or pump, but I'm not ready to retire the original one just yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
My brother shot a Buck with a 410 slug when he was 12. It was close enough that he saw fur fly on impact but they never had blood and didn't recover it. Claims he had a behind the shoulder hit.

While a few deer have been killed with the .410 slug, it's ft-lb of energy is somewhat of a handicap. Many of the foster type slugs only weigh 85 grains and for a slug of .410 diameter, that's a recipe for low penetration. Further the velocity retention is not what we would like for shots of any kind of extended range. While there are many testimonies of deer killed with it, it simple is a marginal choice for deer hunting.

One would be far better served with a 20 Ga

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I acquired a .410 single-shot over 30 years ago and thought I might like it for squirrel hunting. I used it for a few seasons and gave it up. The ammo was too expensive. I let one of my sons hunt with it, but he switched to a 12 GA as soon as he could.

I will say that .410 is a great entree into shotguns for a wee one. However, it causes far too many disappointments as a proper hunting arm for a yute. Mine liked 20 and 12 and still do.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You can make those boys with their 12 gauge cannons feel bad if you shoot well with your 410

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
On a dare, we spent a morning shooting geese with .410's. Max loads with #2 Bismuth. Stakes in the decoy spread denoting 20 yards distance, expert calling, and the willpower to let them get in really really close before shooting. We found that the .410's killed just fine, and after that incorporated at least one .410 Day into every season just to break the monotony of whacking them with 12's. Mind you, every gunner in our group was/is an accomplished waterfowler not prone to "skybusting", and our venue is my buddy's farm situated smack in the middle of Maryland's best duck/goose country (which is saying a lot) which meant plentiful birds and the opportunity to pick and choose the shots. Moral of the story: the .410 can be an efficient hunting tool, if used within its limitations.

I need to get back on a skeet field with the .410 barrels of my Beretta O/U multi-barrel set.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
first deer i ever killed was with a mdl 24 savage and a 410 slug. double lung and just as dead as if i had used a 458 win mag.that started a lifelong affair with the mdl 24.
maybe deer were weaker or the 410 was more powerful in 1958.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having mentioned it was the tool of my youth, and the H&R Topper is now a lizard killer, there is a tale i between.

Also mentioned that fit is central to success earlier, and my brother and I both had to learn a bit while we were growing. Time passed and the gun was passed to his son who had conveniently already grown a fair bit, being 6'+ in his early teens. We took him quail hunting over a weekend and he hardly missed. Killed near as many quail as the grown ups. His failure at the end of the hunt was espousing that it was too easy and kind of boring.

Kids.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The price on store bought .410 shells is ridiculous.A friend of mine uses 444 Marlin cartridges and loads his own.He made a tool to crimp the edges of the cartridge over a cardboard end wad he stamps himself with a 444 cartridge with a sharpened edge that he uses as a type of cookie cutter.He uses to plunk squirrels with.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own around or more dozen 410`s just a fun little shotgun ,i also was born ,raised and still live in the country we have in the past and still do use a 410 to get rid of critters that need to be shot.here`s my collection of 410`s > 22/410 savage made in the 50`s,410 marlin bolt ,2-single shot 410`s,Remington 410 - 870 a new 22/410 Savage , and my favorite critter killer o/u 410 Stevens,Winchester 410 lever, 410 T.C. pistol, 410 derringer,plus i just purchased a couple more cases of 410 ammo too " just in case ?"

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by pete53
i own around or more dozen 410`s just a fun little shotgun ,i also was born ,raised and still live in the country we have in the past and still do use a 410 to get rid of critters that need to be shot.here`s my collection of 410`s > 22/410 savage made in the 50`s,410 marlin bolt ,2-single shot 410`s,Remington 410 - 870 a new 22/410 Savage , and my favorite critter killer o/u 410 Stevens,Winchester 410 lever, 410 T.C. pistol, 410 derringer,plus i just purchased a couple more cases of 410 ammo too " just in case ?"

Is your O/U Stevens a M240? With tenite stocks? Side by side hammers? Also, what's your experience of shooting the 410 derringer?

Thanks

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I use a .410 to shoot pests in and around farm buildings. I'd hesitate to shoot a 12 inside a barn, for instance.

I started my kids on .410s just to get them used to the noise and recoil, and with the understanding they should use one of my large gauge guns when they wanted to do any real wing shooting. They both had no problem graduating to 12s for FFA trap.

Fooling around with a hand trap, I was surprised to find that it was easier than I had anticipated to hit a flying clay bird with a .410.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
THE Derringer i just purchased but we plan on doing some testing with it, son fell in luv with this derringer . the Sevens o/u 410 is a newer type and just a great little shotgun and handi.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
The price on store bought .410 shells is ridiculous.

That's why God gave us MEC.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
On the topic of cool vintage 410's, here's a Stevens Model 240. Tenite-stocked (it must be very light to carry) and the double hammers are cool. In my experience, these are rarely encountered:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-model-240--410-o-u.cfm?gun_id=101112032

Anyone have one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Most adults I have known that use a 410, are sure to tell
everyone that they use a 410. I always figured that was the reason for using it.

Ah, the 410 Creedmoor.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Most adults I have known that use a 410, are sure to tell
everyone that they use a 410. I always figured that was the reason for using it.

Ah, the 410 Creedmoor.

Well it's sure no .270!

Oops.

Sorry.

Actually I have nothing against the .270. I just lapsed into a moment of group think.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought some Brenneke 3" Magnum style.410 slugs because Brenneke slugs have long been advertised as the best option for smooth bore shotguns.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.