Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14163938 09/29/19
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any experience with Kuiu Gaiters? I am running Salomon 4D 3 GTX as per usual and just trying to keep more snow off.

Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope, Black Diamonds.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Kuiu gators for the last 3 years. I like them.

Do or do not, there is no try.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They look good, but I've never used them.

I've used Kenetreks, which I liked but are not really durable, ORs, which are the standard, and Black Diamond which were a steaming pile of [bleep]. And I normally am a Black Diamond fan.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've used the Kuiu for four- five years, still on my original set.

I've waded 14 inches of river water, blundered into bog sinks, hiked through over 2 feet of snow, and through popcorn-fart dry forest.

Pros: Velcro is holding as firm as ever - my Kenetrek set lasted one season that I recall, they didn't keep me as dry either.

No rips, and I should have shredded them - they've been snagged on a dead fall more than once.

Haven't leaked yet, the boots wet through before the gaiter could let any water in.

IMHO - they are easy to adjust for your boot size, and height, the stirrup strap has not torn, or cut, and still looks pretty solid.

The upper leg cinch is easy to adjust, and seals tight.

Cons: they can be hot to wear in the early Fall, they don't let moisture out either.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I plan on trying something new if I can ever wear out my OR Expedition Crocs. After > 20 years and multiple repairs from crampon punctures they still work. Whatever you get a short piece of tubular webbing over the instep strap will extend the life of your purchase.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wore out my OR Crocs last year... the main thing I didn’t like about them was the lack of a snap at the bottom, where OR chooses to just rely on a small Velcro patch (bad design).

I replaced them with a Sea To Summit Event Alpine Gaiter... they’re about the perfect gaiter.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/sea-to-summit-alpine-event-gaiter_10368955

I think the Kuiu is a very good gaiter too, similar to the Sea To Summit, but with stretch fabric, and a slightly more restrictive fit, and of course the availability of camo if that means anything to you.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use gaiters whenever I can. I have had the Kenetreks, Kuiu's, generics, and will try the summit alpine next. The two problems I have had are - 1. finding a size big enough to accommodate heavy wool pants when snowshoeing for elk and 2. Outer fleece fabric to cut down on the swishing and scratching noise.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
I wore out my OR Crocs last year... the main thing I didn’t like about them was the lack of a snap at the bottom, where OR chooses to just rely on a small Velcro patch (bad design).

I replaced them with a Sea To Summit Event Alpine Gaiter... they’re about the perfect gaiter.

I think the Kuiu is a very good gaiter too, similar to the Sea To Summit, but with stretch fabric, and a slightly more restrictive fit, and of course the availability of camo if that means anything to you.

Good to keep in mind Brad, you always find top notch gear.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Those look good. Looks like an instep slider as opposed to the traditional buckle. That was the first thing to break on the Black Diamonds. Let us know how they hold up.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Almost exact C O P Y of the Black Diamond gaiters.

BTW, my Black Diamonds have never broken, nor the full welt expedition version.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I've used the Kuiu for four- five years, still on my original set.

I've waded 14 inches of river water, blundered into bog sinks, hiked through over 2 feet of snow, and through popcorn-fart dry forest.

Pros: Velcro is holding as firm as ever - my Kenetrek set lasted one season that I recall, they didn't keep me as dry either.

No rips, and I should have shredded them - they've been snagged on a dead fall more than once.

Haven't leaked yet, the boots wet through before the gaiter could let any water in.

IMHO - they are easy to adjust for your boot size, and height, the stirrup strap has not torn, or cut, and still looks pretty solid.

The upper leg cinch is easy to adjust, and seals tight.

Cons: they can be hot to wear in the early Fall, they don't let moisture out either.

+1

I’ve used OR Crocs and Kuiu gaiters extensively, and prefer the Kuiu’s for the reasons mentioned above. The snap on the toe is an upgrade over the OR’s velcro tab.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sleeping Indian wool gaiters if you've got the moola. They're awesome.
I also have a pair of Markhors that I bought in Queenstown NZ at a mountaineering shop in 2015. They've been OK, but they're starting to wear out with a couple of holes in them.

I may try a pair of Kuiu or OR next.
Kenetreks haven't lasted one season for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Sleeping Indian wool gaiters if you've got the moola. They're awesome.
I also have a pair of Markhors that I bought in Queenstown NZ at a mountaineering shop in 2015. They've been OK, but they're starting to wear out with a couple of holes in them.

I may try a pair of Kuiu or OR next.
Kenetreks haven't lasted one season for me.

Thanks for turning me on to Sleeping Indian! Just checked out their products. I see money fleeing my bank account!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Almost exact C O P Y of the Black Diamond gaiters.

BTW, my Black Diamonds have never broken, nor the full welt expedition version.

I misspoke, mine are the Sea to Summit Quagmire Gaiters:

https://seatosummitusa.com/collecti...iter?_pos=4&_sid=d501f3bab&_ss=r

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the look of those Sea to Summit's, prefer eVent to Gore for a winter type gaiter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The top strap hook eliminates another common failure point too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwh2
The top strap hook eliminates another common failure point too.

Exactly. The little plastic friction fastener on the OR Crocs was the other failure spot that the Sea to Summit Quagmire Gaiters address.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I 2. Outer fleece fabric to cut down on the swishing and scratching noise.

Yeah, I've been with guys whose heavy duty Codura nylon gaiters sounded like an all kazoo band rambling through the timber. OR Crocs come to mind.

It's funny how people are not aware how much noise they make........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I 2. Outer fleece fabric to cut down on the swishing and scratching noise.

Yeah, I've been with guys whose heavy duty Codura nylon gaiters sounded like an all kazoo band rambling through the timber. OR Crocs come to mind.

It's funny how people are not aware how much noise they make........

I've walked right up to elk inside 40 yards with Cordura gaiters on...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,444
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.