Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I killed one of my 3 antelope this season with my 99 in 300 Savage with a peep sight. Didn't have a camera on that hunt (like most times) so no pics.

I used a 140 Hornady Mono Flex and a charge of 41 grains of 4064. The kill was from about 160 years away. The bullet worked super well and the wound was straight and pretty wide.

But still I can't say the resulting hole was actually better then what I have got in the past with 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts. Might be a better bullet for elk or bear because of it's ability to retain it's weight, but for deer and antelope I can't see any real advantage.

I have tried 3 different powders H4064, H4895 and IMR4320. And 6 different bullets (150 grains with a Hornady interlock, the Remington Core Lokt and the Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting. 180 grains in the Sierra Pro-Hunter and also the Remington Core-Lokt, and the bullet above, the 140 grain Mono Flex Hornady) In my 99, and the old Remington 150 grain has (so far) been the most accurate. Just barely over 1" groups at 100 yards, which for my old eyes shooting the peep sight is excellent. All the 150s and the 140 shot under 1-3/4". The 180s both shot to about 2.5" to 2-3/4"

I think I will just marry the M99 to the load with the 150 grain Remington CL.

If I can get my Remington M81 300 Savage to shoot 180s under 2" consistently I will probably marry it to that load. So after that if I want to use 180s I'll take the Remington 81 auto, and if I want to use 150s I'll use the Savage.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Savage 99 .375 Winchester. Ohio button buck.

200grain Winchester power points. Shot was at a hard angle. Entered right at the front of the hind quarters and recovered lodged in the brisket up front.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Perfect performance from the 375. Not surprised here. Good eating there.

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think I may have finally gotten this picture posting nonsense down. Thanks for the help, Polecat!

99F 308Win with vintage K4 glass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/12/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here's another.

This doe never heard the, "spiteful crack", of the 99F 250 Sav.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
2019 Deer:

From October Doe Hunt
99F in 300 Sav, circa 1957, 180 grain silvertips. 45 yard shot.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From November Rifle Hunt
99F in 300 Sav, circa 1957, 180 grain silvertips. 35 yard shot.

Not really sure why I have other rifles. I seem to grab this every time I go.

It's topped with an M8 6X Leupold. Weighs in at 7.6 lbs.
Good from 35 to 235 yards, for me at least.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very nice!

I would love to observe the Chinese fire drill that ensues when you decide which weapon to use. laugh

I have the same Stormy Kromer hat. Partridge. Very cool.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, 303 deer is in the books and the Slam is complete. Two years ago I got a doe with the 250 for the WV opener, then a spike with the 300 a couple days later. Got skunked in MD. Last year I got the pretty 8 point WV mountain deer with the 22HP. I got on stand at 2 oclock today for the last day of MD fire arm season. I'd like to tell you how I shot him in the neck at 300 yards with the 303 F, Lightfoot mount, and Weaver K4, but the truth is a much better story. Sunset was 4:46 and last legal shooting light was 5:16. About 4:26 a string of deer came out at the far side of the field, right at 300 yards. Counted 10 of them, and the biggest stayed back, under the trees, where I couldn't see his head. Then I saw little white sticks moving in the tree branches, but the wind wasn't blowing, it was a buck. They were just grazing and milling around. He finally walked out and I could see he was more than a spike. He turned broadside and I figured this might be my only shot, so I benched the rifle on the arm rest, and tried to put the cross hairs on his shoulder. The cross hairs were so big they covered the front half of his body, but I squeezed. The whole herd busted and ran, of all things, right straight at me. They stopped at about 250 and started grazing again. He turned broadside again and I could see a little of his body in the scope, so I squeezed again. The whole herd busted and ran right straight at me again, stopped and went back to grazing, that was bout 200 yards. He stood broadside again and I shot the third time, and they ran straight at me, and stopped at about 80-100 yards, and went back to grazing. He was looking in my direction, straight on. He'd get a mouth full of grass and look up chewing. By then I had the shakes so bad I could hardly see through the scope. But, now I had a perfect sight picture, put the cross hairs on his neck, bang, he ran to the right, the doe to the left. Trying to give him some time to pile up, and let myself calm down, I sent a few texts. It seemed like I was shooting at him for an hour, but from 4:26 till my first text was 4:44. I got out of my tree stand and went looking for blood, it was getting dark, and it had been raining most of the day, and I saw no blood. Still trying to calm down I stopped took a breath and looked over the stone wall, and there he was. Might have run 10 yards. Didn't see a drop of blood on the trail. Sorry for the long story. But, I kind of feel sorry for him, It's like I've known him since he was just a tiny deer at the far side of a field, till he was a nice deer in the middle of the field with a bunch of doe, till he was a nice mature buck. Kind of like I shot an old pet.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Oh, the other thing, with my glasses on I could see the deer, but they were hard to identify, and looking through the scope they were a little fuzzy. If I took my glasses off they were crystal clear through the scope. So, I took my glasses off. Every time I shot I had to sweep the field with the scope trying to find the buck again, without my glasses all I could see were blobs running around. It's 6:58 and I'm just calming down. I"ll get a better pic tomorrow before I butcher him.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Joe I got your text whilst I was out bear hunting. No photo tho. That's good eating right there.You need a good spotter. I know just the guy from Florida!

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a great story Joe. I think I would have left the part about the first 3 shots out though.

The last time I saw you, you were down to 4 bullets for that thing. You must be out now!

laugh

That will give us something to do this winter. Dig through all the old boxes of stuff at gun shows.

I need some ammo too.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I think I may have finally gotten this picture posting nonsense down. Thanks for the help, Polecat!

99F 308Win with vintage K4 glass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got an eager 250 EG that shoots 87 grain hot cores minute of antelope

I'm getting the itch to go antelope hunting again.

This ain't helping grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim
2019 Deer:

From October Doe Hunt
99F in 300 Sav, circa 1957, 180 grain silvertips. 45 yard shot.

From November Rifle Hunt
99F in 300 Sav, circa 1957, 180 grain silvertips. 35 yard shot.

Not really sure why I have other rifles. I seem to grab this every time I go.

It's topped with an M8 6X Leupold. Weighs in at 7.6 lbs.
Good from 35 to 235 yards, for me at least.

Not sure how you could improve that rig or the results it provides. grin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe, nice deer and good story

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=99guy]That's a great story Joe. I think I would have left the part about the first 3 shots out though.

The last time I saw you, you were down to 4 bullets for that thing. You must be out now!

laugh

Yeah but can you believe that being able to run 360 degrees they kept trotting 50 yard closer and going back to munching grass? After thinking about it I was aiming dead on like I would do with my 250. The 303 was sighted in dead on at 100 yards with 190 Silvertips. They were probably tilling furrows 50-100 yards short. At 100 it was dead on.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story Joe! It made me smile while I read it. Gotta love it when things just work out! Congrats on the Savage slam.

Lee

Last edited by Polecat; 12/14/19.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads Joe on your slam! Nice last min. Buck!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks John, Thanks Lee. I put my cousin on that stand last year and late in the day he got a nice 6 pointer. He fired the first shot at about 200 and both deer ran straight toward him. He dropped the buck at about 150. Must be something in the way the shots echo off the big rocks at the other end of the field?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's another pic with the 303 F in it. Couldn't get anyone to snap one with me in it. He scaled in at 125.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 29 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.