Nice! I'm gonna swipe a copy of that one. grin

GB1

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That's beauty Joe! That Lightfoot mount seems to really work, but You might need to upgrade the scope to one that focuses for you! wink

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Jeff, my eyes are just getting to the point I have to take my glasses off to see through a scope. The scope is crystal clear with my naked eye, but then I can't see ten yards.I asked my eye doctor if there was anything to do, and he said take your glasses off to shoot. I do have progressive lenses. I was thinking of having the next pair made like old bifocals with the bottom half clear. Shooting off the bench with clear glasses works perfect.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FINALLY! After 35 to 40 days of getting up at 4 AM and pursuing the wily wapiti I finally lucked out this morning. The weapon of choice was a 99EG 308 with a Weaver KV, 150 grain Hornady SST. She was angling slightly away from me at about 150 yards. I shot from a kneeling position. The bullet entered the ribs, angled forward and destroyed the lungs. She went about 150 feet and croaked. This by far the latest I've killed one. The weather was all wrong earlier. Too nice. It has to snow to push them down where we old guys can get to them. The temperature was minus 8.
ancient Savage and dead wapiti. She's big and about 3 to 5 years old. Lots of good meat.
[Linked Image]
ancient Savage, dead wapiti and decrepit hunter.
[Linked Image]
Tom Watt pine cone handled knife and dead wapiti. I told him the knife was too special to take hunting. He said he made them to hunt with so here it is. It's really sharp and made the gutting much easier than usual.
[Linked Image]
My hunting buddy John got one too. He and Bret who got an elk ten days ago are using the patent pending Harper-Royal elk hoist to get John's elk in the back of the battered ram. You can see my elk's hind feet sticking over the side of the bed and tied to the running board mount. The running board fell off a few months ago. It got bottomed out too many times.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/19/19.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job David!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats! That's some delicious steaks right there.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boy you are one determined guy, I'll give you that. I don't think I could leave the cabin in those temps to get my hands all bloody. Too much a creature of comfort.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was minus 27 on Monday. I saw a few that day but they disappeared before I could get up to them. Sometimes you just have to keep on til you get one. This is to compensate for last year. I got an elk the first day I hunted this property.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats David. Very cool.......or should I say cold?

Anyway, I do like the knife too.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats. If that's the gut pile in the back ground, I think it's bigger than my deer!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We figure gut piles weigh about 150 pounds. The gutted animal probably 250-300 and the boneless meat about half that. The meat from the one I killed last year weighed a little over 160 lbs.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way to go David.

You got to really want to shoot an elk to do what you did this year.

Determination and toughness are usually rewarded with success.

At least this time they were.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very nice David! Hanging in there paid off.

Lee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last time I failed to get an elk was 2006. I just wasn't willing to let it go. The way my health is going I may not be able to hunt many more years.

wyo1895
[email protected]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your tenacity is amazing. Great job on a well earned elk. The good eating will last longer than the soreness, I hope. smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Here's another pic with the 303 F in it. Couldn't get anyone to snap one with me in it. He scaled in at 125.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Joe, nice way to finish off your slam. Very cool! Congratulations!

BTW, that spotter that Roy was referring to, probably, could have gotten you there in just two shots.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I think I may have finally gotten this picture posting nonsense down. Thanks for the help, Polecat!

99F 308Win with vintage K4 glass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got an eager 250 EG that shoots 87 grain hot cores minute of antelope

I'm getting the itch to go antelope hunting again.

This ain't helping grin

I'm going back to the same outfitter in Oct. for either goats, muleys or a combo. You're more than welcome to come along.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I may have finally gotten this picture posting nonsense down. Thanks for the help, Polecat!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This ain't helping grin

I'm going back to the same outfitter in Oct. for either goats, muleys or a combo. You're more than welcome to come along.

That is very generous of you and I'm sure we would have a great hunt, but looking at 21. Next year my Daughters last year as a collegiate athlete and we plan to travel across the country to see her play. Which is going to use up vacation time and any extra $

If it weren't for time and money think of all the fun we could have!

laugh

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This ain't helping grin

That is very generous of you and I'm sure we would have a great hunt, but looking at 21. Next year my Daughters last year as a collegiate athlete and we plan to travel across the country to see her play. Which is going to use up vacation time and any extra $

laugh

Sell a DL to fund the hunt! LOL

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This ain't helping grin

laugh

Sell a DL to fund the hunt! LOL

I only got one Roy and just bought that one.

I have 2 post mils now. An F and a DL. Jaysus, what is this world coming to?

If you would have told me 5 years ago that someday I would own 2 post mil rifles I would have told you that you had lost your Fn mind.

I love both of them though....

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

571 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.