R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Very cool!

Nice lookin pooch too!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One thing is certain with sage grouse, they're sagebrush obligates. Populations rise and fall dramatically, but, if you loose the sagebrush, it's a done deal for the grouse... Lot's of ways to phucqk up sagebrush country to where it doesn't work so good for them as well. If we could predict rainfal in the high desert, we'd have it made.

Pretty damned slow to get it back. In 1999, I visited about 15 sites of documented historic wildfires in Wyoming big sagebrush stands in OR, ID, and NV, ranging roughly 20-50 years postburn. BLM, USFWS, and private lands. Not in a single location were there native forbs or sagebrush in measurable quantity. Litterally nothing but cheat grass and weeds. The idea that you "rest" a burned area from grazing for only one, two, maybe three years postburn, it a crock of chit. The commonality of all the sites, grazed heavily since the fire. Can't blame them, they eat the palletable stuff and leave the rest. The rest ain't worth a chit for grouse generally. Not anti-grazing as I also saw productive beef operations right alongside productive sage grouse populations... It's certainly not a super simplistic. Guess that's two certainties. I'll leave it at that.

People will knock university stuff, however, the prof I worked with had a saying that made the bunny hugger's heads spin. He'd say, "I love to save wildlife, they're great to eat!" RIP...

An interesting, EARLY, read on them is Patterson, '52, The Sage Grouse in Wyoming.

My sage grouse days were' 96-'03 and' 05. Starting to seem like a long time ago... LOL

Now, I'm done.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing those, looks like a great time. The pooch looks all business with the birds.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey Bruce, love the pics. Was the wind horrid where you were? The wife and I took the folks to the Austin, Kingston and Belmont areas this weekend to see the aspens turning. It was gorgeous but the weather was schidt.

Thanks for posting up my sweet Rosie.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rosie told me to tell you she misses sitting in your lap in the Ranger.

It was calm Sat morning when we got the birds, but the storm blew in that afternoon, and we had driving corn snow Sunday morning. Since we had enough sagehen, Owen hunted deer for a couple of hours again early Sunday, but we bugged out early...didn't want to pull the camp trailer over the two mountain ranges in snow. Turned out as we went west from Reese River and Ione the weather broke. There was a gianormous dust storm that blew over the mountains into Reese River...couldn't see Arch Dome from the west valley.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
I bet that is fun, killed lots of quail over dogs, but never a Sagehen.

Same here, with and without dogs, quail and pheasants. I'd sure like to add prairie chickens and sagehens to that list.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well hell! Sorry we missed you. We were staying at the castle in Reese River Friday and Saturday nights and were over in Big Smokey Valley and in the Monitors as well.

On Saturday in Belmont there was a thunderstorm with as big of rain drops as I've ever seen and had some nasty hail. Still was good to get out in the country.

Please give Rosie pat for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.