Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am at a work conference in Anchorage for a few days and tacked on a little vacation. I am off Thursday and Friday. The weather Thursday looks like it will be pretty good. Where should we go to see some critters (not the kind I have seen wandering around downtown) within a fairly short drive of Anchorage? We will be staying in Anchorage Thursday night, so think in terms of an out and back. We are in good shape and not allergic to a little hike. I know it's late in the season, but any place we might see some salmon? Laurie has never seen them.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Head up to Flattop then over towards Powerline pass, should be a good showing of moose up there as the rut is in full swing. That's one of my favorite places to view moose this time of year.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Head up to Flattop then over towards Powerline pass, should be a good showing of moose up there as the rut is in full swing. That's one of my favorite places to view moose this time of year.

Any particular time or particular place around flattop? Do you gain access off of Canyon Rd?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 10/02/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, Canyon Rd. As for times, morning to mid day then late afternoon to dusk.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
There are AK animals down Turnagain Arm at the AWCC. There are also wood bison there.

High fenced.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Are there parking area or trailhead signage?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
There are AK animals down Turnagain Arm at the AWCC. There are also wood bison there.

High fenced.

We went there on our honeymoon 5 years ago. Cool place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Are there parking area or trailhead signage?
Yes, there is a parking lot where you can park, cost $5 unless they raised it since the last time I was there.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm sure the guys that live there have better ideas, but you might consider a trip to Homer. A small group us went fishing out of Homer last year. We rented a truck and drove from Anchorage and I would highly recommend it. Along the drive we saw Dall sheep on the mountains, took a short hike to Portage Glacier, saw lots of moose as we got closer to Homer, and more bald eagles than you could count along the coast. Homer is a cool little town with great bars and restaurants. Will take all day but it's a great trip.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZtwins
I'm sure the guys that live there have better ideas, but you might consider a trip to Homer. A small group us went fishing out of Homer last year. We rented a truck and drove from Anchorage and I would highly recommend it. Along the drive we saw Dall sheep on the mountains, took a short hike to Portage Glacier, saw lots of moose as we got closer to Homer, and more bald eagles than you could count along the coast. Homer is a cool little town with great bars and restaurants. Will take all day but it's a great trip.

I have been to Homer several times and love it. I am looking tro try something a little different. That drive has some incredible sightseeing.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just take a trip down the Glenn. Actually AKMtnHntr gives a good recommendation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shirley, some of you local guys can put some pics up with your recommendations?

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
Just take a trip down the Glenn. Actually AKMtnHntr gives a good recommendation.

The weather is supposed to be good Thursday and Alaskan Friday. We will do a more driving oriented tour Friday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some very large bulls in the nearby Campbell Creek area located not too far from Power line Pass, i've seen them while bow hunting on Ft Rich. I don't have any pics but all you have to do is Google Powerline Pass and moose and you'll get the picture.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drive down to Portage and do the short hike into Byron Glacier. Should be able to see some salmon at Williwaw on the way by.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I'd second the recommendation, but would do upper huffman (glenn alps trailhead) and head straight back to the powerline trail (road). Then glass from there to the east/northeast and/or walk over and get right up in there. Don't get stomped!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Usually some nice bulls around Earthquake park and areas beyond.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd also take the drive out to Girdwood and stop at a few pullouts to check for sheeps.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We heard from a few locals that there was a good bit of moose activity in Kincaid Park. I wanted to see wild moose, not pet moose. Since Kincaid is nearly 4 square miles in size, that is wild enough for me, and it gave us time to drive down to Girdwood too.

A moderately dense sea fog drifted over the park during the hike. That meant we could move more silently, but it also meant the moose could too. Laurie had to stop for a pee break. I stood silently while she did. I head a very slight rustle in the woods just ahead. We stood motionless for a minute. A rabbit bounced out onto the path. Just when we were about to start walking again, momma moose stuck her head out forest and posed for us for a bit.

The fall colors in Girdwood were gorgeous.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 10/04/19.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Bush Club?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 71 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.