Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have two south carolina fn manufactured m70's, an ew in 308 and a super grade in 270 win. both are outstanding in every way. i've killed deer, hogs, and elk with both. i like the moa trigger just fine. from all i've read the portugal m70's are equally good but i've never handled one. fact is, if you want a new m70, right off the line, you'll get a Portugal (assembled) version. if that doesn't grab you then used is in your future. i know i wouldn't hesitate to buy a new m70, assembled in portugal, if that's what i wanted. and i wouldn't give a thought to the enclosed trigger versus the older version. ymmv.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will never own another BACO M70... don’t like the MOA trigger, and only want “Made In Portugal” on my bottles of Port. A “real” M70 has the original trigger and is made in New Haven, CT... or at least somewhere in the USA.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
I will never own another BACO M70... don’t like the MOA trigger, and only want “Made In Portugal” on my bottles of Port. A “real” M70 has the original trigger and is made in New Haven, CT... or at least somewhere in the USA.

That pretty well sums up my opinion.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
These days most Deer skin gloves are assembled in China. That makes me more upset than a Portugal Model 70.

Last edited by battue; 10/03/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lots and lots of things upset me more than where my Winchester was assembled.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bobmar

Ditto....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Not averse to the BACO guns, just can’t recall ever handling one.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
To all that took the time to share their experience, thank you!
It's been most helpful.

shotgunjock

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Not averse to the BACO guns, just can’t recall ever handling one.

I've had plenty, I sold them and keep the pre 64's..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck

Ditto....

Agree 100%.

"Upset" about it? Nope. Out of my control, and I've got my good ones.

I will, however, do my part by voting again for Donald J. Trump in hopes he can bring them and many others back here, where they belong.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by Redneck

Ditto....

Agree 100%.

"Upset" about it? Nope. Out of my control, and I've got my good ones.

I will, however, do my part by voting again for Donald J. Trump in hopes he can bring them and many others back here, where they belong.

Yep, the model 70 shouldn't be farmed out to another country. If I'm going to buy a rifle built overseas, its going to be a Tikka... The model 70 has been a piece of American history. The new ones are a browning import as far as I'm concerned...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This is as close to "Made In Portugal" any M70 I own will ever get grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am curious to learn what the factual issue(s) why BACO "assembled in Portugal " rifles may be lower in quality compared made/assembled in USA?

Many strong OPINIONS, but no facts, or finite issues about Portugal-assembled model 70 rifles.

Can anyone provide a finite quality issue with Portugal-assembled model 70 rifles? The Craftsmen there may be every bit as talented as USA workers. Maybe not, don't know. Has anyone who has owned or handled a Portugal-assembled m70 encountered a quality issue with it?

Just the facts please.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I suppose we all should throw rocks at Mausers, Tikkas, Sakos, and CZs, since they're also made in Europe.
Oh, and M1917s too - they are a European design.

Last edited by WTF; 10/04/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I did some research on this 2-3 years ago, and discovered that the reason "assembly" was moved to Portugal was the assembly in South Carolina was at a plant mostly focused on military rifles. Consequently they did not know how to deal with walnut stocks--and the Portugal gunsmiths did. Which is why the assembled-in-Portugal walnut stocks are pretty nice--and the rifles shoot so well.

I know the last from buying and shooting some of the Portugal-assembled rifles, rather than guessing. They are more accurate and reliable out of the box than pre-'64 Model 70s--and the most recent New Haven rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buttstock
I am curious to learn what the factual issue(s) why BACO "assembled in Portugal " rifles may be lower in quality compared made/assembled in USA?

Many strong OPINIONS, but no facts, or finite issues about Portugal-assembled model 70 rifles.

Can anyone provide a finite quality issue with Portugal-assembled model 70 rifles? The Craftsmen there may be every bit as talented as USA workers. Maybe not, don't know. Has anyone who has owned or handled a Portugal-assembled m70 encountered a quality issue with it?

Just the facts please.

I have a Portugal-assembled 280 FWT. Sweet rifle. I can't see any difference between it and the SC manufactured 70's And it's a dang sight better than some of the "Made in USA" guns that came out of NH in the last few years there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buttstock

Just the facts please.

Fact: The New Haven USA Model 70 trigger is the finest hunting trigger ever made. Other than that, nobody has said anything about Portugal guns being lower quality. I will personally never know as long as they have their current trigger.

Maybe the craftsmen there are just as good.... not the point. The point is the Model 70 has been the AMERICAN riflemans rifle since 1936, and some of us true American patriots are not interested in one made ANYwhere else. Pretty simple.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I needed another Model 70, which I don't, I would buy one of these without a second of hesitation.

Winchester makes what appears to be a great rifle and it is shunned by some because it is not made here. And you become a “True American Patriot” by doing so? Help me Rhonda!!!!

Wonder how many of those patriots are not driving American cars, or using Leupold’s, or typing here on something that came out of China. What a hoooot!!!!

Last edited by battue; 10/04/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Portuguese made “Winchester” is exactly like this, an older American Co. now made offshore - an ignoble end. "The British are coming! Hide your Kim Chi!" grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Three if by FedEx....

Classic Patriotic American revolutionary marketing. I like it....👍😃

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

510 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.