Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Other than the new trigger system, what is the aversion to the new BACO model 70 Winchesters?

Are they really that bad?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 2008 production EW in 308 that is as nice as anything ever made. I'd prefer the old style trigger, but this one has not given me any reason to complain. I simply have no opinion on the newer versions made in Portugal.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JMR40
made in Portugal.

Therein lies the issue with purists

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by JMR40
made in Portugal.

Therein lies the issue with purists

Yeah, i agree. At least jmr has one of the better ones.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So, if it were made in Finland, Germany, Belgium, or the UK it would be OK?

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nope.

If it remained in the US, with the old trigger would have a greater following.

There are those for whom nothing will compare to the pre- 64.

There are also those who feel the mid nineties 5 or 6 digit classics are a better rifle.

Given a choice between the 3 most will spend the money on the former pair.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 10/02/19.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shotgunjock
So, if it were made in Finland, Germany, Belgium, or the UK it would be OK?

That deserves another....... Nope.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Other than where it was built, nothing.

As for accuracy and reliability, it is fine. Well there is that trigger thing but it
is easily fixed with a spring or replacement with a Timney.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by boliep

Other than where it was built, nothing.

As for accuracy and reliability, it is fine. Well there is that trigger thing but it
is easily fixed with a spring or replacement with a Timney.

Have to agree. Can’t comment on the Portugal made variety but the SC made (especially the first few years, AMN/AMP) were very well made. And - I’ll take [bleep] for this - the MOA trigger with an Ernie's spring is better than the stock m70 trigger unless it’s been worked by a someone who knows what the heck they are doing (e.g. Redneck or Gene). Certainly not simple or with the foul weather attributes of the classic open trigger, but ...

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Again, other than the undesirable trigger, they shoot well, and are well made?

I have both a pre-64 that was my fathers, and a stainless steel 5-digit "classic"
that's been my own hunting rifle for 17+ years.

I have a line on one of the limited run 7x57's that were made a few years ago. Trying to
decide quality level from afar.

Not trying to poke, but would sure like to hear the opinion of those that actually OWN
and shoot a BACO.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No BACO aversion with me.

I have three BACO FN-South Carolina, made in the USA model 70 rifles. All 30-06. Two blued steel/walnut stocked sporters ( one NIB, unfired), and an Extreme Weather. Used to own a fourth-a 30-06 featherweight. Sold it, just because I liked the sporter better, but it shot sub moa. They are absolutely fantastic rifles, from fit, finish, precision in manufacturing, to accuracy. I love the higher-combed, straight stocks. All three walnut stocked m70 BACO rifles have or had VERY nice grain, with perfectly executed checkering. Handsome rifles.

Don't know much about the versions assembled in Portugal. Never handled one. The parts are MADE at the FN South Carolina plant, but ASSEMBLED in Portugal, as I understand it- so they may be just fine.

Maybe people have an aversion to the "Portugal" barrel stamping. Is a Browning BLR lever action better if it is stamped "Belgium" or "Japan"? I had a 358 Win chambered BLR that was made in Japan, and it was a peach of a rifle in every way.

But, as for the BACO-South Carolina rifles that I have, honestly, you would be hard-pressed to find a better made factory rifle in the sub-$1000 range ( maybe even higher priced). Maybe a Sako A-series classic, or a JC Higgins model 50/51 FN m98 with Timney trigger would compete ( and I have owned three JC Higgins m50s- still own one, and have a nice Sako a1 varmint 222 Rem)

I am very satisfied with my BACO-FN/SC/USA model 70 rifles. No aversion here.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I have both a pre-64 that was my fathers, and a stainless steel 5-digit "classic"

I have a line on one of the limited run 7x57's that were made a few years ago. Trying to

Not trying to poke, but would sure like to hear the opinion of those that actually OWN
and shoot a BACO.

For fu cks sake, its a decent enough rifle. Obviously you could care less where its made. Buy it, whats stopping you? I wont own a Portuguese model 70. The model 70 has always been the American riflemans rifle. Ill keep buying pre 64's and classics, but thats just me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He is asking from owners of the rifle. What's your beef if you have nothing to add ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m 72. Grew up with my dad’s 1952 M70 270 and the Fwt 243 he bought Mom in’55. I’ve been a pre64 fan for 60 + years. But I have 3 BACO fwts , 2 from Portugal. They are great rifles. Accurate and with better out of the box triggers than recent NH M70s.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Nope.

If it remained in the US, with the old trigger would have a greater following.

BINGO!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

and shoot a BACO.

Buy the 7x57 and go kill big game with it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I own a recent EW in 30-06,fit and finish is great and it shoots very well. I would rather Buy an American made model 70,Un fortunately in todays world it would almost be out of the average mans price range ,and fit and finish would still not be as nice as older ones.

1st John 4:7-8
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have one of the limited run 7x57 lightweight/featherweight Super Grades made a few years ago. It was made in the USA, South Carolina I would assume. It is a very nice rifle with a beautiful stock and very accurate. I do not notice any issues with the trigger and I plan to hunt with it this fall.

I also have a push-feed M70 XTR in 7x57. It too is accurate and the trigger is good as well....not sure when the turn over to the other triggers was. If you like the rifle buy it......life is too short.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have 2 new mod 70's in 30.06, a featherweight and a EW. Added timney triggers, both well made and very accurate, I wish they were still made in U.S. but still outstanding rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have 5 BACO model 70s. A 2008 M70 high grade Featherweight in 270,and two Extreme Weathers in 270WSM and 300 WSM that were made in South Carolina. I have a Jack O'Connor Commerative in 270 and a Supergrade in 7mm-08 that were made in Portugal.

Every single one of them feeds and functions perfectly. Every single one of them will put factory ammo in an inch or less at 100 yards for three quick shots from a dirty cold barrel.

What else do you really want in a hunting rifle.

BACOs are great guns for the money,right out of the box IME.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.