-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When my old computer went down, I lost one of my favorite fonts -- Oxford -- and haven't been able to find a source to put it into the new computer. Losing it permanently means I'll have to reformat every chapter of the INSIDE THE RIFLE book. If you have it and will e-mail it to me (kenhowellearthlink.net ), I'll be deeply grateful (grateful enough to list your name in the book's acknowledgements). TIA

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Ken - You might want to check out this site - http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/oxford/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken, I been surfing for it for the last couple of hours. I simply cannot find it. Do you still have your old harddrive installed? If so click on start, then find and type in fonts, this will allow you to see if it's still hidden some how.
Best I could do, I did try.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the tip! I've bookmarked this outfit's home page for future reference. It turns out that there's more than one Oxford type face, and none of theirs is what I used to have. Their "Oxford" has a weird lower-case "b" that I wouldn't use on a salary. So I'll have to keep looking -- or go ahead and substitute one of the more than 10,000 fonts that I already have. Several in my collection are quite nice alternatives to my lost Oxford and nicer than myfonts.com's Oxford. Typography is a crucial element in book design for easy readability and page-space economy, and I'm very picky in this area of design. May fall back on the ever-reliable, never-fail Century Schoolbook -- one of the best all-time classics (along with the now ubiquitous Times Roman, which is always a good choice).

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Ken - Try this link - http://www.eff.co.uk/A/P/OxfRR.htm

And this link - http://www.buyfonts.com/professional_ps/oxf.htm

IF this is the correct one, let me know and I'll send it to you...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks again -- but no, this isn't "it" either. The EFF "Oxford" is a sans-serif face, and the Oxford that I found to be so nice is a serif face. Sans-serif faces -- so popular today for no good reason -- proved to be the least readable kinds of type face for text paragraphs (OK in short strings -- titles, heads, captions, etc) in Sir Cyril Burt's and other classic readability experiments. I can attest to the soundness of their findings, as I often have trouble distinguishing some characters and strings rendered in sans-serif type. In sans-serif type, for example, lower-case m (M) is often (usually?) indistinguishable from lower-case rn (RN), especially when the font is small. I'm addicted to cross-word puzzles -- invariably printed in sans-serif type -- and even with a magnifier, I often have trouble reading some of the clues. The serif faces evolved for good reasons! Also weighted type. Yet popular taste for no good reason favors unweighted sans-serif type. NOT IN MY BOOK -- literally -- pun intended.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,

I sent you an email with an Oxford font that I have at work. It is (unfortunately) a postscript font and thus requires something like Adobe Type Manager installed. Therefore, rather than simply adding the TT font to the correct Windows folder, you must first install ATM in order to register the font. Fortunately, ATM Lite is a free download from Adobe.

I do not recall how the font actually looked (I'm home now) but there is an outside chance that it will be "your" Oxford font.

If that doesn't work, perhaps someone with Fontographer can create a look-alike font for you.

B.I.C.
'tikka
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ken, maybe this site will help you to identify the type Oxford you had.

http://www.identifont.com/

Phil

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found it!

Found where the "good" Oxford was hiding, installed it in the proper fonts folder, and backed it up onto a floppy disc. Finding it -- and being able to continue using it -- will significantly reduce the work load involved in getting Inside the Rifle ready for the book manufacturer.

I truly and deeply appreciate the response that my distress holler got from you fellows. Your concern helped me to keep looking for it until I found it. Thanks, all.

"Good enough" isn't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.