Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobmn
A guy could put a Clark 460 Rowland kit on his 1911 and load up some Starline brass with AA-7 and a flat nose 230 grain lead bullet. 1500 fps removes some of the doubt about back up.

Done!

255 grain WFN GC at 1150 fps, very controllable, penetrates deep and straight, kills dead.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, 255 WFN GC would be my second choice in a .45.

Get you a .44, .454, .475 or .480 and fish on!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northcountry
Mr. Shoemaker wold you consider hard cast in that category. Thanks for you time. Cheers NC

At 45acp, and 9mm, velocities a hard cast bullet basically works as a hardball. Plus you can get a little more velocity from them.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by northcountry
Mr. Shoemaker wold you consider hard cast in that category. Thanks for you time. Cheers NC

At 45acp, and 9mm, velocities a hard cast bullet basically works as a hardball. Plus you can get a little more velocity from them.

Yep and a 255gr cast is a heavier bullet than a 230gr fmj.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Tom2506 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Excellent! That’s the type of information I was needing.
I do flyfish and am more familiar with the 1911 than revolvers. Although I could buy one and practice with it before hand.
Thanks again to all!
Tom

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i do like my 1911`s alot but when i go back up in bear country i will still take my short 4 inch barreled revolver in a 44 Mag.,revolvers are easy to learn to use and shoot.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Tom2506
That DoubleTap load looks interesting

That's what I was thinking. Reasonable price too.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
i do like my 1911`s alot but when i go back up in bear country i will still take my short 4 inch barreled revolver in a 44 Mag.,revolvers are easy to learn to use and shoot.

unless they are scandium..... I'll take what I can shoot any day over what hurts and isnt controllable.

OT I wonder how many carry 454 and 460 and 500 can actually shoot a cylinder full DA and hit a grapefruit at close range under stress... that said even a 44 mag with full on loads..

Its one thing to take a carefully aimed shot at something not attacking you, vs having to pray the first round or three somewhere in there hits CNS

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a Smith 629 4" for backup. Load 240 grain cast with 17 grains of 2400. It's about a quarter less than max, but I can shoot it and control it. Very heavy bullets in a 1911 seem to have a more pronounced muzzle flip for me. The Smith works better for me.

Old guy, old guns.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The muzzle brake on the Clark 460 Rowland conversion noticeably reduces muzzle flip.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GSSP
I run a heavier spring and the Buffalo bore 255 gr Outdoorsman in my Ed Brown 1911 when I'm hiking in and around Yellowstone. I have function tested them and they work great.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214

Alan

I had that load fail to feed in a Mk IV Series 70 Colt. Definitely check them for function in your pistol.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

unless they are scandium..... I'll take what I can shoot any day over what hurts and isnt controllable.

OT I wonder how many carry 454 and 460 and 500 can actually shoot a cylinder full DA and hit a grapefruit at close range under stress... that said even a 44 mag with full on loads..

Its one thing to take a carefully aimed shot at something not attacking you, vs having to pray the first round or three somewhere in there hits CNS

After my 9mm bear incident My wife and daughter wanted to know why I had the 9mm rather than my usual 44 Mtn Gun.
I took them both to the range, put out half a dozen 4"x4" pieces of wood scraps on the ground 15 feet in front of us and asked them to hit as many as possible as quickly as possible with the 44 and fairly stiff loads and then the 9mm.

They learned a new appreciation for the only hits count theory.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Phil. Hmm. Good thoughts there.

St Georger, thats the load i run in the 329, but its a handful there. In a standard 29 or 629 its a nice enough load. The extra weight helps.

I have experience muzzle flip in a 1911 too, but the fact that the slide tends to bring it back down I like, and the fact the 1911 has a nice trigger typically.... I like those things... I;ve' learned to deal with Glock triggers though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by rost495

After my 9mm bear incident My wife and daughter wanted to know why I had the 9mm rather than my usual 44 Mtn Gun.
I took them both to the range, put out half a dozen 4"x4" pieces of wood scraps on the ground 15 feet in front of us and asked them to hit as many as possible as quickly as possible with the 44 and fairly stiff loads and then the 9mm.

They learned a new appreciation for the only hits count theory.

This pretty much answers the question for me. Practice the 'Phil Drill' [formerly the Bill Drill] 6 shots into 6" under 3 seconds from the holster. That places 882 grains of hurt on the target critter if using147 gr BB hardcast. Most could do that w/ a Glock19 and adequate practice. Few can do that w/ a big revolver or auto.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some years back, there was a young GI fishing the Kenai at the confluence with the Russian. He and friends had an encounter with a brown sow. Do t recall if it was a bonafide charge or not. He ended up shooting the sow with a 1911, with i suspect ball ammo. As i recall the sow backed off and died.

ETA: Tried to Google the story, but no luck.

Anyone else recall the details?

Last edited by ironbender; 10/02/19.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobmn
The muzzle brake on the Clark 460 Rowland conversion noticeably reduces muzzle flip.

It is very effective. The loads I run in mine have very little muzzle rise, and I probably have 100 fps left on the table, but it takes a longer time to recover.

A 255 grain WFN at 1150 is going to leave a mark, then factor in that you can get 8 of them on target pretty quick, and compare a reload to one in a revolver, especially single action.

I have a 4.62" .44 Mag, and I get 1200 fps with a 300 grain WFN, so it definitely has a sectional density advantage, but is it worth losing the firepower? I've decided that with the bear we have here, I'd rather carry the Super or Rowland. Besides, bears ain't never been a problem....yet....but I've had a few go-rounds with feral dogs.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What is the fine for shooting a Brown Bear without a license?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the killing was deemed justified there is no fine, but you have to skin the bear and turn in the hide, claws and skull to F&G and fill out a report.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by whelennut

Nothing if he’s trying to eat you. Probably a lot if he wasn’t.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by whelennut

Nothing if he’s trying to eat you. Probably a lot if he wasn’t.

hopefully a lot like as in you can't afford it a lot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.