24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wish I could get my dogs to ride in the pathfinder like civilized dogbeings.

They see a squirrel while we're doing 20mph through our logging roads and they deploy out over the side like underwater demolition operators

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I drive a 1987 Suzuki Samurai

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This was my youngest daughters while she was a junior and senior in high school, and a freshman and sophomore in university.
We took it out few times hunting coyotes. But, she was pretty protective of the paint. Didn't like the desert pin stripes.
Wishing I still had something along those lines.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Owl; 10/02/19.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would my 2009 grand Cherokee do?

No?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by turkish
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I am fascinated by those who think spending 10-15-20k on an ATV is preferable to spending the same on a hunting Jeep or a used pickup or what have you. The latter options seem much more useable, certainly in this climate than the ATV's. What's the attraction there? Im interested to learn.

I want a Mahindra Roxor in the worst way, but it’ll never get the use my atv does for hunting. I use them in the woods. A Jeep couldn’t fit down many of the trails I use. A Jeep/truck would also rut up our muddy roads in the wintertime in a way that simply isn’t workable.

I was with my uncle in law with my Mother in law's truck a few weeks ago, working on fence for her, we were in her nice new 2019 Chevy 2500 duramax with every option, I walked back to the house to get something and she asked, "Did my truck fit through the gate?" I said it does now. I've never seen her move so fast lol.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Have a 99 TJ but don't use it hunting too much no more. Public land I hunt on has atv trails so I use the Honda foreman on those.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I am fascinated by those who think spending 10-15-20k on an ATV is preferable to spending the same on a hunting Jeep or a used pickup or what have you. The latter options seem much more useable, certainly in this climate than the ATV's. What's the attraction there? Im interested to learn.

It is a crazy amount to spend on an ATV and I don't have one. However, I've used a bunch of them and no pickup, jeep, or whatever, can cover the country as fast or as nice as a nice SxS or 4 wheeler. We have roads here that take all day in a pickup or suburban, etc. And take 25% of the time to get around in a buggy. Mud and snow that forces you to chain up your pickup no big deal in a atv. Snow drifts slap on the tracks. Which is more money I get it. But they have a use even if it does cost a bunch.

Yep, a Jeep/Samurai/whatever else is just too big and heavy to hang with a SxS. Sure they are fine on a trail but off-trail it's absolutely no contest.

I have both a SxS and a four wheeler and prefer the wheeler for true off-roading. Now if it's colder than hell, the heater and full cab on the SxS is the chit.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rode with some others in theirs - good ones - but never had a Jeep. But, a 1972 Chev Blazer has been my hunting 4x4 for 35 years. No hunting with an ATV.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

1952 M38. My parents live up on top of the Uncompahgre Plateau from May-Nov, so my dad drives it practically everyday around the place. He got it painted in Navy CB colors with his CAG and Squadron number on it from his time in Korea serving on a carrier--hysterical......

Those small jeeps will do a lot of the things an ATV can, but not everything. It has been able to retrieve all but a few elk we've killed up there the past 30 years.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Drove my Dad's 61 CJ5 for many years as a kid, hunting, fishing, whatever and wherever we needed to go. Now I use his 83 CJ5 to do all of my hunting. Have used that jeep since 1989 and it is still going strong. We did break an axle this past summer, so had those replaced. I'd rather walk a bit further and be comfortable in the vehicle, than freeze every morning with an open cab in a wheeler or Side by side.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Owned Jeeps before. If I had enough land would buy a Roxor. But as it is now neither a Jeep or Roxor can get into the areas on our property that our ATV can. I would like a 2 seater UTV with a small bed, it would get a good deal of use here. But it wouldn’t be as good as the ATV for getting into right spots.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not a jeep but we don't use ATV in TX. We do use em here in AK but we go places a jeep can't get....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I use my legs and son of a do they hurt

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My son has a 4 door 2015 Wrangler, Rubicon I believe. We drive up to Maine and run the backroads with no issues. Where we hunt the paper companies roads are wide and my F250 super duty diesel has no issues either.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I use a 98 TJ sport 4cyl for hunting. {coyote mostly} I cant use it on a lot of the T-Trails in the forests, if I'm hunting big game, its better to walk those trails anyway. now for goin fast through some terrain my VW based sand rail will get any wear it can go faster than almost anything else and I'm wanting a midsized dirt bike because the t-trails I want to go on wouldn't be 4 wheeler friendly any way {your mileage may vary]

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CCCC
No hunting with an ATV.

Yep.

I should clarify that I use the ATV/SxS for work. Was commenting on their use in that regard.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2002 Grand Cherokee Limited with a 2" lift, 265/65R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3s, ARB lockers, and a 4.11/1 rear differential.

Not a daily driver, a little noisy on pavement, and the gas consumption runs around 10 mpg, but it has yet to fail to get me there and back despite mud and snow and washed out mining roads.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a yamaha grizzley 700 with p/s, full lockup on all four wheels, will go because of size just about anywhere.
i also have in various stages of decomosition a 42ford flatfender script jeep, a 44ford flatlander, a 45 willys, a 48cj2a,
and a complet m38A1 1953. Added to that is a 10/72 fj40 land cruiser.
the yota has had a bunch of stuff redone/added to it.
I also have a xterra4x4, and a 98 dodge diesel 4x4.
i would say this, having had those flatfenders out and the yota out in bad azz conditions, mud, ice, water they went where a lot of the new overweight vehicles will not go.
I remember in the yota pulling out of this canyon in axle deep mud and getting to the top and seeing all those nice new 4x4 trucks stuck. just drove around them.
Hey, one of the jeeps has a heater, the yota has two of them, thats something the grizzley does not have.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Had a 47 Willys, a great vehicle. Then a’73 Toyota Land Cruiser. That was the best go-anywhere vehicle that could still be operated on a public highway that I have ever seen. In more recent times I’ve had quads, love em. Also horses, but that’s a different song entirely. Now I make do with my Tundra...kinda big but capable and comfortable.

My son has a hunting Jeep. It’s mostly (I think) ‘70 something Jeep Cherokee (I think.) Kind of a Frankenjeep, but he’s got it tagged and operates it on the road. It’s loud and stinks and it’s kinda scary to ride in with him at highway speeds. He does very well financially, but I’m glad to see he hasn’t strayed far from his roots.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Love seeing and hearing bout these old American made Jeeps.Loved the turning radius on the ol'twitch (NOT tote roads) trails back in the woods.My favorite was the 1978 Levi CJ5 with 35's

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.