Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking of purchasing a backpack hunting tent or two. currently I'm not sure if I wa t a one or a two person tent. both myself and my hunting partners are about six and a half foot tall and about 215 pounds. I would like to have a vestibule in the tent.

what are my options for backpack hunting tents that I can use in colorado and wyoming from around september 5th till about mid November. you may give me options for single and 2 man tents.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We can get plenty of rain that time of year, so you'll probably want a tent you can put your gear in, while you're inside. Which means a two-man for one person IMO.

With a good-sized vestibule you can use to stash wet boots and rain gear, and run your stove in if needed.

I've been thinking about getting one of those so I'll be following this thread. A decent-sized vestibule is a must for me anyway.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For a great backpack tent, the Big Agnes Copper Spur's are about as good as it gets. Stable, storm worthy, roomy, light.

However, for real cold I absolutely prefer a solid inner tent. I use the discontinued MSR Hubba HP (High Performance) with solid inner. The MSR "Access" line is the old Hubba HP line-up in 1P, 2P, and 3P versions with a beefed up pole structure. MSR has recently brought out a whole line of "all season" tents that are worth looking at. Before I switched to the Hubba HP I used a Black Diamond Firstlight single wall tent. Hilleberg is also a good maker with old-school solid inner tents. Obviously there are other "all season" tents out there from the likes of The North Face and Mountain Hardwear, but I'm a bit out of touch with what is available these days. You DO pay a weight penalty for a true 4-season tent. For weather into November a mesh inner is certainly doable, and I have used them into snow season.

For a couple people sharing the load, a tepee with wood stove is about impossible to beat..

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Two big guys will be mighty crowded in any 2 man backpacking tent. Go larger or go to separate tents.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Two big guys will be mighty crowded in any 2 man backpacking tent. Go larger or go to separate tents.

That's the beauty of a 3P tent...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Warm weather for a solo hunt or if a hunting buddy doesn’t mind a small tent I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. For more inclement weather, or any time I’m hunting Alaska, I go to the Hilleberg Nallo 3. Haven’t found much that one of those two tents won’t handle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How's the vestibule space on those Tanner?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I am considering a Copper Spur HV 2 Expedition. It seems like it would fit your requirements.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I am considering a Copper Spur HV 2 Expedition. It seems like it would fit your requirements.

I had forgotten about that one... great way to go. It's a proven design, made better for cold weather with a solid interior.

My wife and I used the BA Copper Spur HV UL2 a lot this summer, including over labor day:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Brad

I had forgotten about that one... great way to go. It's a proven design, made better for cold weather with a solid interior.

Do you think it would be too much for milder weather? It seems the weight is about right to deal with and get the weather protection over a pound lighter, but this backpacking stuff is very new to me.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Do you think it would be too much for milder weather? It seems the weight is about right to deal with and get the weather protection over a pound lighter, but this backpacking stuff is very new to me.

The mesh interiors are cooler, but you can open the doors on the solid interior tents. Really, mesh interiors are a relatively recent design feature. Back when I started backpacking in the mid 1970's no tent was available with an all mesh interior. It was only in the mid/late 80's you started to see a few, and not until the 2000's that they became the dominant design. In Europe, particularly in the British Isles, you'll mostly see solid interiors because of the crap weather.

Would add, the Expedition version of the Copper Spur is 1.75lbs+ heavier, not 1lb. Were I going to use the tent mostly for summer backpacking I'd stick with the mesh interior and deal with it in colder weather.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
Warm weather for a solo hunt or if a hunting buddy doesn’t mind a small tent I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. For more inclement weather, or any time I’m hunting Alaska, I go to the Hilleberg Nallo 3. Haven’t found much that one of those two tents won’t handle.

I used the Nallo 3 with a guide in AK about 6 years ago on a goat hunt. It was excellent as was the banana bread until a weasel discovered it. We did have a night of heavy wind and rain and it was rock solid. The next tent I buy will be a teepee style with a wood stove.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
How's the vestibule space on those Tanner?

The Nallo 3 (or Nallo 2) GT vestibule is amazing. You can get two large packs and two sets of boots in it easily enough. The "regular" nallos have a fairly small vestibule - useful, but not the same level of luxury.

[Linked Image from images.hilleberg.net]
[Linked Image from images.hilleberg.net]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Nallo 3 GT vestibule, unless you have it cracked wide open or use it in a super dry climate, is a recipe for a rain forest type condensation event. I got the non-GT Nallo for that reason- you can stack a couple backpacks in it and your boots/stove, etc but it's definitely not a big vestibule, but I don't mind it much. I usually have a client stick his pack in the vestibule and leave mine outside with my rain cover on it.

The Big Agnes Fly Creek vestibule might as well not even be there. It's big enough for your boots and whiskey bottle... and maybe a stove.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a Seek Outside back country shelter which is now discontinued. They make better models now. Paired with a Ti stove I think that’s an amazing combo. When you can dry off, warm up, or just enjoy a nice warm tent in the evening in a package that weighs 6lbs life is good. Plenty of room for two and all gear. Cozy with three but have done it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m running a Luxe ultralight tepee

Comes with stakes, but you’ll need a trekking pole

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I hate mesh. It's cold, sand and dust get through it and settles on everything, it's cold, and it's not needed to ventilate when there are doors and windows that can be opened. It's cold. The tent manufacturers are in love with mesh, it's cheap and light--the two primary factors yuppies consider when they buy a tent. I have no intention of ever hiking the Appalachian Trail in July...... Have spent some nights in Tepees but not entirely sold, although they have merit.

I currently have a BA Foidel Canyon 2 and like it a lot. It is amazingly light and has stood up to enough hard, wind driven rain and other weather "events" that I have confidence in it. It has adequate vestibules. Use one for entrance/exit and the other to store stuff. Since my all time fav late 70's vintage mountaineering dome tent wore out, I've been through several tents and moved on. But I'm keeping the Foidel.

Alas, BA discontinued the Foidel Canyon. But I have seen the Foidel 2 for sale at very good prices. I haven't seen the Foidel 3 for sale but haven't looked hard, and for two guys in the 215 lb range that would likely be the better bet.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If there is a possibility of foul weather keeping you in your tent a day or two, get a tent 1 person bigger than you think you and your gear need. Being able to spread out a little will keep you from losing your mind.

My favorite solo car camping tent is a marmot limelight 2P. The walls go vertical for about a foot before the dome part starts and that makes the edges of the floor totally useful rather than wasted space. It is right at the edge of what I'd want to backpack, weight-wise, but for extended wet weather, minus heavy wind and snow, it would be a good tent.

If I'm trying to go light, right now I carry a Tarptent ProTrail unless I do a tarp and bivy.

Note that I often carry a tarp even when I carry a tent so I have dry space outside my tent to move around, change clothes, etc so I'm not getting the inside of my tent and my sleeping bag wet from wet gear. Good spot to stack a little firewood, even an hour or two of drying can make a big difference in how it burns.

I don't personally care for camping in the rain no matter how good the tent is. Sometimes you have to but I haven't found a way to enjoy it other than staying home.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Best bang for the buck is Kelty Gunison 3 man tent on sale at there web sight. Weight is just under 8 lbs but if you split between two people you will have a very good tent for the weather. Check out there price on sale very good deal.
I'm 6'2 and my Brother is 6' 4 I have used the Kelty Gunison 4 man for back pack hunts for both 2 people and three in it and it worked but is weights just under 10lb which split 2 or three ways to carry makes a nice tent. I have had it in the snow and temps to 9F in Colorado above 9000 ft. and while not a true light weight tent it stands up to wind and rain and snow very well.
With three hunters we used a 4x8 tarp to throw our packs under at night with two Hunters we just put them inside with us.
If I was backpacking alone I would buy a Copper spur 2 UL man tent or REI 2 man half dome.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd also peruse some of Seek Outside pyramid offerings- opens up the option for a stove which is pretty nice on longer trips (dry out clothing, warm up in the evening/morning)- splitting the weight between two folks you're only looking at 3 lbs/person and that's WITH a stove

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 300_savage, 222Sako, 30378, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,510
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.