Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For you folks that have access to these stores, what do you think of them?
Dicks is selling the local Field & Stream store to them. so hoping for an improvement.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There are several in my AO, and I have a favorable impression of Sportsmens Warehouse.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are way better than Dicks but not as good as Scheels. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Springcove; 10/03/19.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Poor Dick’s, I feel bad for them!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

my closest is 2 hrs away in Provo Utah

I may stop in there if close by......prices are retail high of course.....

When I need guns...reloading components etc......I buy online

They all may change their customer gun handling after this incident

https://fox13now.com/2019/08/06/heb...-man-with-a-gun-at-sportsmans-warehouse/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't had them here for eight years or so, but what they were then sure beats the hell outa what Cabela's is now.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I miss the one we had near us. Great place or reloading supplies and ammo. Was not an academy type place and was built with guys like us in mind I always thought.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never been in a Field & Stream, just Dicks many years ago. Sportsman's Warehouse is so far above a Dick's they're not even in the same league, not even the same sport.

We used to have a Sportsman's in NW Arkansas, but they closed during their bankruptcy several years back.

I go to one in Logan, Utah quite often. Haven't bought a ton of stuff, mostly clothes, but they've got plenty of quality hunting and fishing items to look at, versus sitting in my hotel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love Sportsman's Warehouse. Went to Cabelas a month ago to pick up some cleaning patches, something I've bought there in years past. This time they had two small packets of patches, I believe they were for cleaning AR's. I walked out and went to Sportsman's Warehouse the next day. Plenty of bags of cleaning patches on the shelf in all sizes.

I know that these stores make more money on clothing than on cleaning patches, but if you don't have the small stuff I'm not going to come back to look at the clothing. Cabelas needs to learn that lesson - all over again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went into a Dick's Sporting Goods one time, years ago, because I'd never seen their merchandise and it happened to be next door to a place my wife wanted to shop. I got the impression t by at it was just a soccer ball shop and never even thought about going back. I think they closed that one up. smile

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They're building a Rural King about an hour and a half away from us. Wife really wants to go for the grand opening. Cabelas is really close to their new location so curious to see how that affects them.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I prefer SW over Cabela's or Bass Pro but there is still room for improvement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I patronize our local one quite a bit. You can find cheaper prices on line and for large purchases that's worth it but for little onsie-twosie stuff - box of bullets for reloading, brick of primers, etc. - where the difference is only going to be a buck or two it's just as easy to drive there and buy it. They give a 5% military/veteran discount so by the time you add in shipping sometimes it's a wash or Sportsman's actually comes out cheaper. They also have a good selection of outdoor clothing and shoes plus lots of archery, fishing and camping equipment.

Bottom line is I'm very glad to have them in the area.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sportsmans is pretty good. like an online store where you can handle the stuff. lots of chinese made stuff like anywhere. same as online. prices a little bit higher than online, sales tax vs shipping.

seemed like they priced their powder right at online price plus hazmat plus shipping (for an 8 pound keg)

But they do have sales sometimes, or some discounted items make it worth paying attention.

I usually go in if I'm on that side of town.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For guns and accessories...Cabela's, BPS, Scheel's, Gander Mountain, Sportsman's, Academy, Dick's, Sports Authority

Some of these may be completely out of business or divested of gun stuff. Sport's Authority, Gander and Sportsman's are all gone from around here. Dick's is boycotted because of their waffling and outright hostility to gun folks. Cabela's is owned by BPS now. At one time, they were all within driving distance and all selling guns.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There’s one near me, 150 miles. We’ve been there several times, and think that they’re pretty good. Certainly better than today’s Cabela’s.

Oh, what’s a Dick’s? grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/03/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Much better than Gander, Bass Pro, Dick's, etc.

Not quite as good as Scheels.

But they sell nice Tikkas!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sportsmans is the only large, full service outdoor store here. There's a Dicks but you all know what they're like. There are other stores that carry some things but Sportsmans has about everything I need.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As others have mentioned the prices are high. The store are well stocked and the product variety is good. They have more reloading supplies than most places that sell it. You can find some good gun deals from time to time.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have stopped in one in Southaven ,MS a few times. Seems like a better store than BPS. I always found something to buy. Had a decent selection of reloading supplies I wanted when they were hard to find.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,504
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.