24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I will see what he thinks... The idea is to use it only for freezing to create a tightly packed and frozen block.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, preforming only was my thoughts as well. A plastic bag could serve as a liner to eliminate freezing bags to Al box.

Last edited by JimInAK; 08/22/19.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
on a roll, here!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
y'all are on a roll with good ideas.

Come to think if to tetras may have been a game? I never did much inside stuff like games as a kid, enjoyed outdoors way to much to do games, watch much TV etc...

But the AL box, keep adding too, new fish flexible etc.. its all a good idea.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tetris was the game.

Tetras are little fish.

:-)

IC B2

JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update: Operation salmon shipment was a moderate success. USPS priority mail large box arrived 4 days later with salmon thawed, but still cold and very edible. Thanks for all of the input!

A couple lessons learned with this experiment. Pre-forming blocks as previously discussed would have worked better for increased quantity and maintaining temps. Despite a rigorous game of sockeye Tetr"I"s I was only able to get about 8 lbs. in the box. Next year I will plan ahead...

I had assumed that USPS flight out of AK would depart mid afternoon so dropped the package off early Monday a.m. at the main post office near the airport. The package was sorted at around 7:30 p.m. and scanned pre-flight at 2:15 am Tuesday morning. Dropping it off after work or even Sunday evening would have given it another half day in the freezer.

Not quite what I had hoped, but successful enough I will try it again.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I always had mine flash frozen & boxed at the processing plant, then paid the few extra $ to bring as extra baggage when at check-in at the airport. Cost was $30 and it arrived when I did! something to think about.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, but knowing that usps is an option helps...

But so far we've always flown with fish or game. And I will again in a month. Hopefully cooler of moose and cooler of salmon generally speaking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had fish shipped from Homer by one of their local packers, and it arrived in Oregon rock solid.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I get it shipped from a buddy on kodiak, via Alaska.. They keep it in cold storage for up to 3 days I believe, I roll up to the big city and grab it..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK
Update: Operation salmon shipment was a moderate success. USPS priority mail large box arrived 4 days later with salmon thawed, but still cold and very edible. Thanks for all of the input!

A couple lessons learned with this experiment. Pre-forming blocks as previously discussed would have worked better for increased quantity and maintaining temps. Despite a rigorous game of sockeye Tetr"I"s I was only able to get about 8 lbs. in the box. Next year I will plan ahead...

I had assumed that USPS flight out of AK would depart mid afternoon so dropped the package off early Monday a.m. at the main post office near the airport. The package was sorted at around 7:30 p.m. and scanned pre-flight at 2:15 am Tuesday morning. Dropping it off after work or even Sunday evening would have given it another half day in the freezer.

Not quite what I had hoped, but successful enough I will try it again.

I suspect improving the block density and a little better delivery luck would have made all the difference in getting it there in solid...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 78 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.