Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MWN Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Did Ruger improve the stocks on all current production Predators? i.e., did they improve the molded baffles within the forearm of all centerfire Americans to stiffen it? Or just the versions with the AR-AI magazines?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All of mine are the early RAR-Ps and they all have the "X" shaped stiffeners, did Ruger make them in a different shape?

MWN Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
260, that's what I'm trying to find out. I have an early RAR in 300 BLK. While the forearm is indeed a bit flimsy, it shoots very, very well. The flush fit-rotary mag has always functioned 100% too. I've read that the newer versions for the AR-A1 mag stocks have an ~improved forearm internal design. I'm curious if they did it to the flush-fit magazine versions.

Last edited by MWN; 10/02/19.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MWN
260, that's what I'm trying to find out. I have an early RAR in 300 BLK. While the forearm is indeed a bit flimsy, it shoots very, very well. The flush fit-rotary mag has always functioned 100% too. I've read that the newer versions for the AR-A1 mag stocks have an ~improved forearm internal design. I'm curious if they did it to the flush-fit magazine versions.

I can't answer that directly for sure, but think the newer versions with flush fit mags are the same stock as the AI mags. These newer stocks all use a magazine well insert that you can change out for different mag types. I don't know about availability of different inserts, but in theory you can change an AI mag stock to use flush mags, and vise versa, so it stands to reason that these new versions probably have the same stock for both types.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All the newer stocks have the x shaped stiffeners in the stock. Te switch was made before the AI stock came out.

TANSTAAFL
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The original stocks had horizontal stiffeners in the stock. They changed that years ago, after about 2 years I think to a stiffer X shape which is much stiffer. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. The metal V blocks Ruger uses instead of a recoil lug completely eliminates the stock from the accuracy equation. It can be limp as a noodle and the stock doesn't effect accuracy as long as the forend doesn't contact the barrel. Even the old stocks were very accurate as long as they had a generous free float.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I handled the Go Wild version of the Ruger American at the store the other day. The .308 model can use Magpul mags, neat feature, and debating one for my son...

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by JMR40
T The metal V blocks Ruger uses instead of a recoil lug completely eliminates the stock from the accuracy equation.

You're going to have to explain that one. I can't put together how a piece of metal embedded in cheese whiz is an improvement over the cheese whiz itself given that the bedding blocks do nothing to stiffen the forearm. I can see how it would work if the blocks were connected, but they aren't.

Originally Posted by JMR40
It can be limp as a noodle and the stock doesn't effect accuracy as long as the forend doesn't contact the barrel.

Fully 1/3 of the RARs that I see in store racks have the stock touching the barrel with another 1/3 coming incredibly close.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
looks like they changed them to me[Linked Image]

Last edited by mistem; 10/09/19.

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by mistem
looks like they changed them to me

Yup. My older Predator rotary mag version is like the one on the left. The new version seems to be stiffer and doesn't need as much of the forend sanded out to ensure free float clearance. (I have one of each in the safe right now.)

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
yep my 260 rem rap looks like the one on the left that required a bit of deep socket wrapped sandpaper treatment to keep the plastic from flexing into the barrel causing flyers. now she shoots .5" 3 shot groups at 100yds with 120 bt's with a zeiss conquest v4 3-12x56 mounted up top for my rainy day shootin' house gun.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by whitearrow
for my rainy day shootin' house gun.
Big Ed

I mis-read this as "grouse gun" and thought dang, this guy doesn't mess around! grin

(In my defense, rainy days are pretty common here during grouse season)

Last edited by Yondering; 10/10/19.
MWN Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
mistem, my 300 BLK has the same stock as the one on the left. Does the one on the right have the rotary mag or the AR-A1 type mags? I've read that they stiffened the forearms on the ones with the AR-A1 type mags, but would like to know if they did that on all versions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Before the stock pictured on the left came out... the first Ruger Americans had the stiffener's going only left to right. And they were quite flimsy.

This is the first that I've seen of the one pictured on the right... looks like it is an improvement!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Before the stock pictured on the left came out... the first Ruger Americans had the stiffener's going only left to right. And they were quite flimsy.

This is the first that I've seen of the one pictured on the right... looks like it is an improvement!

Jerry

Yes, that picture looks like versions 2 and 3. Version 1 was just lines of plastic straight across. I had not seen version 3.

My 223 with the floppy version one stock seems to shoot well enough after I sanded out the contact areas.

TANSTAAFL
MWN Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I contacted Ruger and have confirmed that all new RAR's have the honeycombed (stiffer) forearm across entire model line. So if it has the 'Insert-Modular' style stock to accomodate either of their magazine styles, it has the stiffer design.

Bought a 6.5 CM Predator couple days ago. It seems to have a bit more clearance between the forearm and barrel than my older 300BLK Ranch (highly accurate). The new one and is indeed free floating even with mild compression with my hand. Mounted a scope and went to the range to get it on paper with the cheapest factory ammo I could find (Hornady Whitetail). It shot a ~1" three-shot group once I got everything dialed in. I did note that it shot a better group without a suppressor than with (Thunderbeast 7" ultra). That won't be a deal-breaker as I have a Howa 6.5 Grendel that shines with a suppressor.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.