Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bobmn
Ingwe: Do you think you could rechamber that Howa to get a fast twist 22/250?

Too much modification to the bolt face...at least for me...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Looking like the rifle LOVES the 63 gr. Sierra SMP for a heavy hunting load and I know it works as Ive shot numerous pigs with it...including my biggest...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ingwe: Do you think you could rechamber that Howa to get a fast twist 22/250?

Naw, but you certainly could take the barrel off and put it on a 473 bolt face platform...

that is what I did with a 1 in 7 twist barrel ( Pac Nor) from a 223 and put it on a Ruger 77 SA, that had had a 243 barrel on it from the factory.....that gave me a 243 length magazine with being able to seat bullets out further and increasing the powder capacity..

it runs 80 grain bullets at about 3350 out of a 24 inch stainless barrel... certainly an upgrade to a 22.250...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What bullet are you leaning towards?

I lean towards a reduced load with a 60 gr. NBT for hunting fur.

Just tonight I loaded up a selection of full powered loads with 60 NBT, 60 Gr Hornady, 63 Grain Sierra SMP, 55 grain TTSX, and 55 Grain Gold dots...gonna find a deer/pig load....

Have you used those Ballistic Tips at full velocity on anything other than head shot porkers?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

Just tonight I loaded up a selection of full powered loads with 60 NBT, 60 Gr Hornady, 63 Grain Sierra SMP, 55 grain TTSX, and 55 Grain Gold dots...gonna find a deer/pig load....

Have you used those Ballistic Tips at full velocity on anything other than head shot porkers?

Yeah. I used them on Blackbuck, which was OK cause they're small. I used them on a nice Mouflon....didnt do the kind of job I want a big game bullet to do, so I just use them on varmints and pig brains.

Just had the gun out today and as mentioned above it LOVES the 63 SMP from Sierra, which is a proven game bullet for me. It didnt seem to dislike 55 gr. Barnes TTSX clustered them into an inch, but the 63s bug holed...

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ingwe,

I've been looking for a .223 with those specs at a decent price. Was that a one-off deal you found or is some place running a special on them right now?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Yeah. I used them on Blackbuck, which was OK cause they're small. I used them on a nice Mouflon....didnt do the kind of job I want a big game bullet to do, so I just use them on varmints and pig brains.

Just had the gun out today and as mentioned above it LOVES the 63 SMP from Sierra, which is a proven game bullet for me. It didnt seem to dislike 55 gr. Barnes TTSX clustered them into an inch, but the 63s bug holed...

No coyotes?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Seafire: Thanks for reminder that the bolt face would have to be opened up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ingwe: Opening up a bolt face is pretty easy. Just chuck up the bolt in a lathe. Brownell's sells a lathe tool that works quite well. Extractor takes a little fitting. But you have a point that the re chamber and the bolt face modification is probably equal cost to a 1 in 8 Tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe: Opening up a bolt face is pretty easy. Just chuck up the bolt in a lathe. Brownell's sells a lathe tool that works quite well. Extractor takes a little fitting. But you have a point that the re chamber and the bolt face modification is probably equal cost to a 1 in 8 Tikka.

As well as most likely needing a new follower and mag box.

IC B3

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

You are talking to a guy with NO mechanical inclination. I can't screw in a lightbulb or hang a picture without getting hurt...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ingwe, I have found a similar Howa on sale. Only it is a 243, which I don't really need. But, at the price, I'm thinking it's a steal. The one I'm looking at is Kuiu, cerakoted, and I believe is a Lightning model with a 20 inch barrel. I've had several of those rifles before, and they all shot very good.

Anyway. my question is......how's the finish on metal, as that's the important thing. If I got it, and kept it, I'd want to restock it, as I hate those Howa stocks.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Finish on the metal seems great to me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll be happy with it. Friend has a 1500 he was gifted in return for a kidney. I worked it over, bedding and trigger, then worked it up and it shoots in the half-inch range. Think it was a nine twist, maybe 8, varminter with laminated thumbhole. But it was easy to make it perform.
If you can stand the trigger as it is, and can work up loads, you'll find something good.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You can’t have too many 223’s

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
You'll be happy with it. Friend has a 1500 he was gifted in return for a kidney. I worked it over, bedding and trigger, then worked it up and it shoots in the half-inch range. Think it was a nine twist, maybe 8, varminter with laminated thumbhole. But it was easy to make it perform.
If you can stand the trigger as it is, and can work up loads, you'll find something good.

I havent messed with a thing on this gun...trigger is OK at #3 bedding seems OK cause its shooting better than the guy behind it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. Like me some Howas. You might stumble onto an Alpine stock if you're lucky.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/03/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Very nice. Like me some Howas. You might stumble onto an Alpine stock if you're lucky.

This stock is growing on me...so long as I don't look at it too long!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are ugly... but then I've been known to shoot Savages, too. Functionality trumps ascetics in my book. I have the same rifle in 243 and am happy with it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another... and if I did, it would be the 223.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
You can’t have too many 223’s

uhhh yeah ya can....

ask me how I might know about that....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.