Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
How tight should my Leupold rings be tightened down to? Have a set on a TC Encore 35 Whelen and suddenly last weekend rifle started shooting about 8” high. I then realize the scope has marks on it as if it has slid inside the rings. Was shooting rifle in a sled and I know the recoil is violent so I’m wondering if it’s possible the scope could have moved in those rings?? I’m trying to attach a picture of what I am talking about below. Thanks for the input.

https://i.imgur.com/LebpCx9.jpg

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The torque values are on the package. 28 in/lbs should do it.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
The torque values are on the package. 28 in/lbs should do it.

Thanks. Have no idea where the package is. These rings went from my original 50cal ML barrel (I think in 2005) to my 7mm rm barrel and now to this 35 Whelen.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd also check the ring tops, swapping back to front, and see if one makes better contact. Additionally, lapping may be needed, at times. Or, I have read of a lot of folks on here using very thin layers of rubber cement to "bed" the tube into the rings.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Leupold recommends 15-17, Nightforce is one of the highest at 25, vortec says damage to the scope may occur if you exceed 18.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'd check with Leupold. 28 sounds on the high side for steel, but I don't know.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Sevastopol

It is on the package as such.

[Linked Image from i714.photobucket.com]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sevastopol

It is on the package as such.

[Linked Image from i714.photobucket.com]

Thank you. Important to note it is the max recommended.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I do 18-20 on #6's, which I believe Leupold uses.

I think the solution to your problem requires ditching the sled in addition to proper ring torque. Even if you can get the scope to stay put in the rings, I suspect bad things will happen. A light rifle with a stout round needs to be able to move a little.

How much does the scope weigh?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rovert
I do 18-20 on #6's, which I believe Leupold uses.

I think the solution to your problem requires ditching the sled in addition to proper ring torque. Even if you can get the scope to stay put in the rings, I suspect bad things will happen. A light rifle with a stout round needs to be able to move a little.

How much does the scope weigh?

14.6oz

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Leupold STD are junk that has no place in the modern world.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Yeah, they're not the top-tier choice, but work sufficiently for me. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're junk, though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would lap the rings, torque to the recommended value and most definitely do not use the sled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Yeah, they're not the top-tier choice, but work sufficiently for me. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're junk, though.

Antique junk may have been more appropriate. Hardly a need for the system these days.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Actually, pounds inches gives a much better picture of the actual force. wink smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I canned all the Leupold rings and bases, went with Talley bases and rings, not the light weights. My rifles keep zero now. I use a lead sled if it’s a new scope, but put no weight in the sled. I switch to bags after I get close.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't imagine how there is such a disparity on torque values for scopes/rings.

If you mount a Vortex in a Leupold ring and torque it to 28 in/lb you will completely distort it. Wish there were some standardization.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dennis,

I read the Leupold stuff three times, and every time it mentioned the torque for 8-40 screws as 28 in/lb. That's considerably different than the 22 for for 6-48's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know, the torque values are based on SCREWS, not on the force applied to the scope tube. If I drill and tap the holes in the rings to 10-32 can I torque them to 50 in/lbs???

This is not an intuitive way to secure a scope. Apparently the Chinese aluminum used in the Vortex scopes is not a strong as the other-sourced aluminum in the Leupold scopes which, apparently, can withstand these thread-yielding torques.

I had a LONG discussion about torquing scopes with Ryan Muckinhearn (spelling?) from Vortex. He straight up told me that if I torque one of their scopes (other than the Gen 2 tactical scope) beyond 18 in/lb I would ruin it. I told him that it might be a good idea to put those instructions in with their scope packaging. He agreed and said that they had just started (SHOT 2018). He also gave me specific places NOT to put the rings on the scope tubes.

Without saying it directly, he implied that the only proper way to mount a scope was by using a rail which allowed you 100% freedom in locating the rings where there were no delicate moving parts underneath!

I have had a dozen or so Vortex scopes fail during load development or practice and he blamed it on me for using my Warne pre-set torque driver. It was set to 25 in/lb which he said damaged their scopes. I couldn't argue with this other than to tell him it didn't damage my other brands. I now torque ALL the scope installations so that I can justify my work as being to specs when the scopes finally fail.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use the supplier torx wrench, tighten til they're about to break, " or I think" then stop... Works great.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.