Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mine's got an igniter too. Can those be lit with just a match? I haven't used the thing in a couple years.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you use cover scent and there are black bears around, don't use vanilla. A relative did that years ago, when his youngster was starting out with a cross bow. Had it ready to go two days ahead of the opener, rolled in there on opening morning and a bear had torn the pop up to shreds. smile.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Mine's got an igniter too. Can those be lit with just a match? I haven't used the thing in a couple years.

Probably. But the chili and brats you had the night before would be a bigger concern than that “click.” I really doubt it makes a difference unless it’s right by you when you touch it off.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you put up a blind that your own land or your spot in a lease the material that is sold at Lowes/Depot makes a great long lasting blind . It's the screen material that's used on the tall 8' fence - hurricane fence is what folks here call it .
Comes in Beige and Green and last for many years baking in the florduh sun .

I bore a hole with my dirthole trapping auger - 2''x2'' treated cut to 6' - 1' in the ground half sheet of 1/2'' treated plywood roof , staple fabric to underside of plywood , cut out openings as needed - buy ''shoot through'' camo netting walmart . Use office stapler to connect the two fabrics - spray paint the staples and they'll hold for years - don't and they rust out in a few months .
I used contruction wire that can be bought lowes/depot in the masonry area - treated 2x2'' left over stakes for guy-out .
For entry/exit I just lift up the bottom front and crawl under on hands/knees .
Lean the bottom of the legs in a bit and rain won't run down blind .
Two of these have been up for 5-6 years and withstood hurricane michael - where MANY pine trees were knocked down or laid over for keeps .
Hard to get more than a year out of a pop-up blind - for less than the cost of one pop-up . No doubt they'll last several more years .

Look at the 4x8' pop-up shade doodads for picnics and such - walmart - set legs to desired height - cover with beige/green privacy fabric - zip ties - staples -camo paint camo cloth for top and maybe some duct tape .
Dark out inside -> use landscape weed blocker - cheap and lasts a long time when not in the sun - attach with stapler .
Yeah i use lowes/depot for a hunting store often .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fabric sold in landscaping dept. down here .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

Probably. But the chili and brats you had the night before would be a bigger concern than that “click.” I really doubt it makes a difference unless it’s right by you when you touch it off.

How'd you know we were planning on a big ol' pot of atomic chilli?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

WE HAVE LIFTOFF!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not using mine in the big woods this year because those deer are way more suspicious of anything out of the ordinary than farm deer seem to be. We need to put a 12x12" florescent orange piece on each side of our tents in gun season and last year I spooked an 8 point and a fox with my tent. I suppose I could have shot the deer, but it wouldn't have been a good shot at an unalarmed deer like I've had from a tree stand. They do break the wind and hide movement, but watching how that deer and fox reacted will have me using a waist high turkey blind that fits in my pack instead. I had a 6 point walk within about 15 yards of that one a few years back. If you use a tent, make sure that you dry it out thoroughly or it will mildew.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
I'm not using mine in the big woods this year because those deer are way more suspicious of anything out of the ordinary than farm deer seem to be. We need to put a 12x12" florescent orange piece on each side of our tents in gun season and last year I spooked an 8 point and a fox with my tent. I suppose I could have shot the deer, but it wouldn't have been a good shot at an unalarmed deer like I've had from a tree stand. They do break the wind and hide movement, but watching how that deer and fox reacted will have me using a waist high turkey blind that fits in my pack instead. I had a 6 point walk within about 15 yards of that one a few years back. If you use a tent, make sure that you dry it out thoroughly or it will mildew.

Build one. When I hunt the "big woods" in MN or WI we always built them from what Ma Nature gave us. We still have 2 like that where we hunt now in county forest land in WI. Dead trees, pine boughs, whatever is laying there. I have set up a trail cam on the blind before and deer are walking within a few feet of it and not paying attention. You don't have a roof, but you'll have as big as a structure that you make. Enough that you can get a chair, a wool blanket to keep you warm. Done all day sits MANY times in them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I'm not sure about MN., but our game laws give a guy a pass for making a blind out of natural available vegetation. Probably better to use stuff lying around like blow downs or you would run afoul of the harming trees rules. I've built a few natural ones, but I move around some depending on where I'm finding sign.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Duh...it's deer season. laugh

I made a batch last night. And as of this morning...it's living up to it's name. grin Thankfully, for everyone else in this field office, I have more for lunch. grin grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I mentioned breaking the wind earlier, I was referring to the weather. You mean you guys don't use those charcoal filter drawers with the fart mufflers?

My other auto is a .45

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Yes, I'm not sure about MN., but our game laws give a guy a pass for making a blind out of natural available vegetation. Probably better to use stuff lying around like blow downs or you would run afoul of the harming trees rules. I've built a few natural ones, but I move around some depending on where I'm finding sign.

That's what I'm talking about. I don't cut down trees for them. There are plenty laying around. They blend right in.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
They are nice for cold, wet and miserable weather though. Just know that when you click that igniter on the Buddy Heater, it's going to sound like a ships horn in the quiet woods.

Rooster, yeah for sure !

We each have a BBQ lighter in our back packs for this very reason.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because we are on private land, we make "floors" for our blinds.

Big pallet, attach plywood/OSB to top, for luxury add old carpet !

Paul.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I picked up a bunch of stuff the other day to build a permanent 4' x 6' x 6' box blind. I want to keep it as light as possible so I can move it easily. I'm going to frame it with 2 x 2's and I have a bunch of .040 aluminum sheets that I bought for scrap price at work a few years ago. Those will be the outer skins.

Every other year, there is corn bordering a good spot on my Uncle's land but there are no tree's nearby worthy of a stand so I hunt it with a pop up ground blind. I'm not a huge fan of them so decided to make something more to my liking.

Being warm and comfortable isn't all that overrated anymore either! lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Deb's set up for rifle;

My set up for archery;

& same blind, same location, different window & trail for rifle;

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I picked up a bunch of stuff the other day to build a permanent 4' x 6' x 6' box blind. I want to keep it as light as possible so I can move it easily. I'm going to frame it with 2 x 2's and I have a bunch of .040 aluminum sheets that I bought for scrap price at work a few years ago. Those will be the outer skins.

Every other year, there is corn bordering a good spot on my Uncle's land but there are no tree's nearby worthy of a stand so I hunt it with a pop up ground blind. I'm not a huge fan of them so decided to make something more to my liking.

Good idea Rooster. Start small. Work your way up. this year it's aluminum skins. next year it's a satellite dish. The following years are a deck with a gas grill, a urinal, and soon...a stipper pole. Ya gotta ease into these things though Jim. You can't do this all in one year. Slow and steady.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Good idea Rooster. Start small. Work your way up. this year it's aluminum skins. next year it's a satellite dish. The following years are a deck with a gas grill, a urinal, and soon...a stipper pole. Ya gotta ease into these things though Jim. You can't do this all in one year. Slow and steady.

When it gets to the point you have to move the jacuzzi to put in the heliport, you know you've overbuilt........

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/08/19.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked up a little camping side table today. It will give me some place to set down my coffee and whatnot. Whole thing weighs just 2 lbs.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
269 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 40 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.