Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
DO use real tent pegs to hold the thing down. I put one up one night before deer season opener, when it was windy and blowing a light rain. The ground was pretty soft, and the wires provided by Ameristep were not enough.
Opening morning, I got to my blind location, and it was gone. The wind had blown it over the hill and into my uncle's yard fence (I was up the hill and in a large pasture from my uncle's house). I did recover the blind, unharmed, but it was a lesson learned, stake it down solidly.

I DID kill a nice big buck out of the pasture that morning, sitting in the chair that didn't get blown over the hill, but I was wide open, and the deer was preoccupied with the does he was traveling with. One shot, about three leaps downhill, and the buck was piled up.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
DO use real tent pegs to hold the thing down. I put one up one night before deer season opener, when it was windy and blowing a light rain. The ground was pretty soft, and the wires provided by Ameristep were not enough.
Opening morning, I got to my blind location, and it was gone. The wind had blown it over the hill and into my uncle's yard fence (I was up the hill and in a large pasture from my uncle's house). I did recover the blind, unharmed, but it was a lesson learned, stake it down solidly.

I DID kill a nice big buck out of the pasture that morning, sitting in the chair that didn't get blown over the hill, but I was wide open, and the deer was preoccupied with the does he was traveling with. One shot, about three leaps downhill, and the buck was piled up.

Good suggestion on the tent stakes. I'll round up all the "real" tent stakes I have and supplement from there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The long aluminum nails used to hold on gutters work well. If in soft ground add either some rebar or big tent stakes. T-Posts are good for longer term set ups.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a rhino 300 delivered Friday and went to set it up today,no instructions. Went by utube video on the 200 and first thing I did was snap a support rod,actually it shattered. I went to order a new one and they are $20 each or 4 for $50,now I'll have 3 extra for backup. No tax or shipping charge which is good. I also noticed the stitching along the top shows daylight so they aren't totally waterproof. Plenty of room and even has a skylight. Have to do something for stakes cause the ones sent with it are only about 10" long.

Last edited by DANNYL; 10/27/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got another from Tractor supply and it is nice because it has what they call clear view window screens. These block the view better than standard mesh it looked effective enough that you could have all the windows open which could be nice in hot weather. I will still try to not get silhouetted but these windows seem to be a worthwhile improvement. Other than the size the blind is pretty standard about like the entry level Primos or Ameristep.

On the cheap pop ups it is worthwhile to re-enforce the stake loops especially if you leave them up for extended times. I had one blow away because all the peg loops ripped out. I grommet-ted on pieces of leather and made loops out of para cord. These have not failed yet in spite of some pretty good storms.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I picked up a bunch of stuff the other day to build a permanent 4' x 6' x 6' box blind. I want to keep it as light as possible so I can move it easily. I'm going to frame it with 2 x 2's and I have a bunch of .040 aluminum sheets that I bought for scrap price at work a few years ago. Those will be the outer skins.

Every other year, there is corn bordering a good spot on my Uncle's land but there are no tree's nearby worthy of a stand so I hunt it with a pop up ground blind. I'm not a huge fan of them so decided to make something more to my liking.

Being warm and comfortable isn't all that overrated anymore either! lol

Almost done:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's sweet! What do you think it weighs? The base is probably the heaviest part.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I just need to tweak the windows, pop in some insulation and put in the 1/8" rubber floor mat and I should be set. Oh and should probably put a couple shelves in too. I ran "spindles" through the bottom to put 13" flatless tires on it. That will help me move it into position once I get it to the spot she's gonna sit.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kingston
That's sweet! What do you think it weighs? The base is probably the heaviest part.

Not sure. The base is the heaviest part. I made that out of 2 x 4's and 3/4 treated plywood. The frame is 2 x 2's and the skin is .040 aluminum. I can easily slide it around the garage.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I bought some black landscape fabric that I will staple to the frame inside once it's insulated so I can black it out good. I will cut the top sections long so it can hang over the windows I'm not using at the time.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What are you insulating it with, fiberglass batts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What are the details on the windows? How do they operate?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
What are you insulating it with, fiberglass batts?

For this year, I'm just going with what they call a "double bubble foil insulation" I got for free. The dense foam stuff I wanted to use is spendy as heck!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
What are the details on the windows? How do they operate?

The windows are made out of .100 acrylic (plexi-glass) and attached with piano hinge. They will drop down and out of the way inside the blind.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don’t forget a cut-out in the floor for the beer cooler.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Don’t forget a cut-out in the floor for the beer cooler.

Actually, I think there will be cut outs in the floor........after deer season.......for angling holes. smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you can find any the E type foam it is about twice as efficient. But I would look around construction sites for scrap foam of any kind first. Even glass batting would work with the landscape fabric over it. Spray foam would be really nice but expensive unless you could haul it to somewhere where they were doing a job and had leftover foam they needed to get rid of.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Spray foam would definitely be the ticket

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Built both of these in sections[walls/floor/roof] at the house and put together where they sit.
This getting old[er] deal has me climbing or using ladder stands less & less.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Raeford; 10/29/19.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Spray foam would definitely be the ticket

Rodents love spray foam. Just FYI.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,568
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.